Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air Compressor Woes - Its Not the Bandaid - Pressure Switch

A while back the check valve on my main air compressor died. I took it
out, took it apart, cleaned it up, and threw an o-ring in it as a
temporary seal and repair. Its worked great. On Friday I noticed a
slow leak after I shut everything down. The sound was coming from the
pressure switch and unloader valve assembly. I ordered a new pressure
switch to be delivered today and forgot about. Yesterday I was in
Nogales picking up a load of steel plate anyway, so today was fine.

Oh, yeah. Side brag. I'm sure you guys all get it cheaper, but one
piece of 4x8x1/4 plate from the local Remington Industrial was $240 give
or take. I found some in Nogales for 135 for the first piece and $100
for every additional piece. I don't need that much right now, but I
bought ten pieces to make it worth the trip. If I have it I'll use it.

Back on topic. As I was walking out to the compressor it occurred to me
that my o-ring band-aid might have failed and I had ordered in a
pressure switch assembly for nothing. So with pressure still hissing
out of the pressure switch I unplugged the hose from the top of the
check valve that goes to the unloader and checked the fitting with my
thumb. No air leaking and the hissing from the pressure switch was just
as loud. In fact much louder than on Friday.

Now an odd question. Probably a dumb one at that. What is an air
compressor pressure switch with 4 ports intended for? When I was
shopping for one I saw single port and 4 port models. Both were under
$20 in generic brands and not much more for name brands.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/14/2018 12:51 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Now an odd question.Â* Probably a dumb one at that.Â* What is an air
compressor pressure switch with 4 ports intended for?Â* When I was
shopping for one I saw single port and 4 port models.Â* Both were under
$20 in generic brands and not much more for name brands.

Ok, doh! Yeah, that was a stupid question. LOL. A single port is
pretty much an exercise in additional expense since there's no place for
a gage or pop off valve. LOL.

Glad I ordered a 4 port.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 13:34:50 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 8/14/2018 12:51 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Now an odd question.* Probably a dumb one at that.* What is an air
compressor pressure switch with 4 ports intended for?* When I was
shopping for one I saw single port and 4 port models.* Both were under
$20 in generic brands and not much more for name brands.

Ok, doh! Yeah, that was a stupid question. LOL. A single port is
pretty much an exercise in additional expense since there's no place for
a gage or pop off valve. LOL.

Glad I ordered a 4 port.

Damn!, now I have to put shoes on and go down and look how I rigged up
my 2CFM Gardner/Denver I paid $3.00 for ten plus years ago. Neighbour
couldn't imagine why anyone would want an air compressor untill the
tubless tires on his snow blower started leaking.

Ah-hah!a real plumbers nightmare of used fittings, nipples and a four
port manifold - some day I will take it apart and re-do it; but then
again, it ain't broke.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:51:22 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Some of the ports are used as unloaders or unloader controls for
compressors with mulitple head banks.

You may have a primary set of heads, a secondary set and a high
pressure set, all of which will need unloaders when starting.

https://www.yee-aircomp.com/upload_f...w-pressure.jpg

The other need..is multiple compressors on a single tank. I run
across a lot of 2 compressor setups..on a single tank.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...186918314.html

These typically are used in medical offices, doctors offices,
denture/bridge makers etc. They dont need a lot of High Pressure..what
they do need is a lot of volume at medium pressures.

Since we are starting off a bank of compressors with a single pressure
switch..we have to have the unloaders working in sync..so with a 4
headed pressure switch..we can use it as an unloader for many
heads/compressors

Much more..but that should cover the basics

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

**********

Ha! LOL. I know about plumbing nightmares. Try getting what you need from
Home Depot to do an emergency repair on the weekend. The will gladly sell
you nine over priced fittings to do the job of one reasonably priced fitting
you could buy elsewhere. A lot of times I get frustrated and just make what
I need out of aluminum or brass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
"Gerry" wrote in message

Ha! LOL. I know about plumbing nightmares. Try getting what you
need from Home Depot to do an emergency repair on the weekend. The
will gladly sell you nine over priced fittings to do the job of one
reasonably priced fitting you could buy elsewhere. A lot of times I
get frustrated and just make what I need out of aluminum or brass.

I've collected pretty much at least one of each common fitting, the
smaller ones in brass and the larger in black iron. When I use one I
put it on the shopping list to replace. Many are marked with their
nominal size to help identifying threads.

The machined brass ones generally run true enough in the lathe to hold
other pipe or fittings for modifying, using either light cuts or the
support of a tailstock pipe center. The narrow hex doesn't provide
much support, even in a 6-jaw.

A large enough True Value hardware store may carry a significantly
better selection than HD.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message

[...]

***************

A tiny little country True Value store may have a better selection than Home
Depot. We had a True Value (my dad) called BJ-Supply Co when I was growing
up. Right next door to our grocery and general store. El Camino Market.
You could buy jeans, shirts, a washing machine, most any pluming fitting,
and a new starter for your truck without moving your vehicle. When I moved
into town it used to drive me bonkers having to drive all over town to get
six parts for a job and have to check nine stores to get them, when I knew
we had all of them on the shelf at the hardware store back home. Those
stores are closed now, but they served the community for several decades.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message

Ha! LOL. I know about plumbing nightmares. Try getting what you
need from Home Depot to do an emergency repair on the weekend. The
will gladly sell you nine over priced fittings to do the job of one
reasonably priced fitting you could buy elsewhere. A lot of times I
get frustrated and just make what I need out of aluminum or brass.

I've collected pretty much at least one of each common fitting, the
smaller ones in brass and the larger in black iron. When I use one I
put it on the shopping list to replace. Many are marked with their
nominal size to help identifying threads.

Ditto. When I need one, I get 3, trying to keep stock of anything I
might ever need. It's much cheaper to have one in stock than to have
to try to find one at midnight on a weekend.

The machined brass ones generally run true enough in the lathe to hold
other pipe or fittings for modifying, using either light cuts or the
support of a tailstock pipe center. The narrow hex doesn't provide
much support, even in a 6-jaw.

There's something new to me. Tailstock pipe center. Is it simply a
larger live center?

A large enough True Value hardware store may carry a significantly
better selection than HD.

HF has lots of small brass in many shapes, so I stocked up during a
recent sale. The local Grover Plumbing & Electric has the best
pricing and selection, so I stocked up on 3/8 and 1/4, finding some
1/8", too.

Hardware at Ace is usually quite pricy, but they have a large stock.
It's nothing like an old-style =real= hardware store, though. I miss
those!

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 12:56:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

The machined brass ones generally run true enough in the lathe to
hold
other pipe or fittings for modifying, using either light cuts or the
support of a tailstock pipe center. The narrow hex doesn't provide
much support, even in a 6-jaw.

There's something new to me. Tailstock pipe center. Is it simply a
larger live center?

They are also called Bull Nose centers:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/bull-nose-center

I also have a center with a concave cone center that's useful to align
the right-hand end of bolts while closing the chuck on the hex flats.
Then I drill the end for the pointed live center.

There's also a "half center" which gives clearance for cutting around
the end of the work.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...enter&_sacat=0
I used one a few days ago to turn down a 5/16" bolt into a 7mm pivot
pin with 1/4-20 locknut thread for a limb cutter blade. The original
pivot pin nut wouldn't stay snug.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got it all back together yesterday, and while I had it apart and the tank
at one atmosphere I added a single quick coupler in front of the shut off
valve to the rest of the shop. Now I don't have to go through a full start
up and shut down to air up a tire, and if I need to blow out the filter
screen in one of the separators or the air dryer I can without getting the
roll around out of the garage.

Seemed to take forever to come up to pressure, but I stood there patiently
and slowly adjusted down the pressure shut off screw as it approached my
desired shutoff pressure. Nailed it about perfectly first try. Then I
popped the safety valve and it kicked back on about 10PSI above the highest
minimum pressure I need for any automated or semi automated equipment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 10:54:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Wild. Those half centers are shaped similar to hole-type
countersink/deburring bits. This answered some questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pImQr0qBQ4

Now that we have that out of the way, has anyone here made any Sandia
alloy yet?
https://share-ng.sandia.gov/news/res...sistant_alloy/

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
or the Poles--but emerged out of courageous, conscious acts of
will by Pilgrims and Patriots. --Michael Medved, Right Turns
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 09:58:55 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I got it all back together yesterday, and while I had it apart and the tank
at one atmosphere I added a single quick coupler in front of the shut off
valve to the rest of the shop. Now I don't have to go through a full start
up and shut down to air up a tire, and if I need to blow out the filter
screen in one of the separators or the air dryer I can without getting the
roll around out of the garage.

Seemed to take forever to come up to pressure, but I stood there patiently
and slowly adjusted down the pressure shut off screw as it approached my
desired shutoff pressure. Nailed it about perfectly first try. Then I
popped the safety valve and it kicked back on about 10PSI above the highest
minimum pressure I need for any automated or semi automated equipment.

Excellent!
Smart move.

Part of my job is installing and maintaining air compressors of every
brand and type.

Far too many of them have a min pressure of 150 with a max shut off of
175 or so. This is fine when you have a single tank..but most of my
clients run auxillary tanks around the shop so they have on average..
500 gallons of air just sitting around. Takes forever to pump that
much volume up to 175 and then using it at max of 100 pounds..most
units require 80-90 lbs. Run em at 125 at most..takes a big load off
the compressor(s) and runs the system well enough for nearly all
applications. One of the reasons I like screw compressors...let em
run full time so you dont have start/stop surges, and when they drop
down to the minimum..they kick in the clutch and fill the system back
to full (generally 125) in just a minute or two.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 15:34:27 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Wild. Those half centers are shaped similar to hole-type
countersink/deburring bits. This answered some questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pImQr0qBQ4

I would have sworn I gave you one or 2 of those.... I didnt?

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wild. Those half centers are shaped similar to hole-type
countersink/deburring bits. This answered some questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pImQr0qBQ4

I would have sworn I gave you one or 2 of those.... I didnt?

Seein' as I have no lathe, I'm afraid not.