Old July 11th 18, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crappy welds and a new helmet

Not that the two are related , I'm just lazy and only wanted to make one
post .

** So I got the job making the glass bead mandrels , and I'm TIG
welding them with some Invar 42 bare rod . Tried some 312 SS but it was
too close to the melting temp of the rods ,and I just ain't that good a
welder . The nickel/iron rod works a lot better , but I'm still getting
some oxidation in the weld zone . Particulars are 27 amps DCEN with 15
CFH argon flow thru a #7 cup on a gas lens and a 1/16" thoriated
tungsten . I've also tried some lanthanated but those didn't seem to
work as well . I'm thinking about putting a shield of some kind
behind/below the rods (I'm using my lathe as an alignment fixture , and
no I'm not running any current thru the spindle bearings) to confine my
shield gas and see if that helps .

*About helmets , yesterday after the customer dropped off the parts , I
decided to get set up and do some trial runs . Lit off the torch and the
helmet didn't respond ... that one is a HF cheapie , I think I paid
about 40 bucks for it on sale . So last night I look at the new HF flier
, and there's a Vulcan that looks pretty damn good for $149.95 ,
especially since there's a 20% off coupon in the flier too but ... turns
out that there are exclusions , in print so fine that you literally need
a magnifying glass to read it . And anything Vulcan is on the list . So
I bought the damn thing anyway . It's a really nice helmet (stock
#63749) , multi-range with grind mode and all kinds of adjustments . And
all the controls are on the auto-dark cartridge , none on the outside .
I almost walked , but considered this unit is supposed to be comparable
(specs are anyway) to much more expensive "name brand" helmets . And it
works very very well . I'm still a little ****ed about the coupon thing
, but I guess I'll get over it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old July 11th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:56:26 -0500
Terry Coombs wrote:

snip
I'm thinking about putting a shield of some kind
behind/below the rods (I'm using my lathe as an alignment fixture , and
no I'm not running any current thru the spindle bearings) to confine my
shield gas and see if that helps .

I've had good luck with shields and MIG welding. I've watched guys on
youtube and instagram using aluminum/steel foil to make custom shields
for TIG. Some use purge blocks too. They add a Y connector or another
flow regulator to feed the purge block. Going by the images posted it
works wonders for materials needing shield gas. Remember that Argon is
heavier than air and will want to flow downwards.

Another thing to watch for is that you don't have some sort of air flow
in the room disrupting your shield gas. One of the guys found the
exhaust fan on the welder causing this and another had to shut down the
swamp cooler fan. You can use an incense stick to check for drafts.

snip
turns out that there are exclusions , in print so fine that you literally
need a magnifying glass to read it . And anything Vulcan is on the list...

Yeah, they've been adding those exclusions for sometime now. You need a
separate coupon for Vulcan stuff or individual coupon for that helmet.
It is well worth checking the coupons listed at this site before you go:

http://www.hfqpdb.com/harborfreightcoupons

I don't see any right now, nor in my personal coupon stash. I'll keep
watch though and if I see something pass it on. If I remember correctly
they will apply the coupon retroactively and give you a refund. Not
sure for how long though...

And thanks for the HF #63749 Helmet review

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old July 11th 18, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:56:26 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm still getting
some oxidation in the weld zone . Particulars are 27 amps DCEN with 15
CFH argon flow thru a #7 cup on a gas lens and a 1/16" thoriated
tungsten . I've also tried some lanthanated but those didn't seem to
work as well . I'm thinking about putting a shield of some kind
behind/below the rods (I'm using my lathe as an alignment fixture , and
no I'm not running any current thru the spindle bearings) to confine my
shield gas and see if that helps .

A trick is to put a small bright light behind you and hold up the torch
and turn on the gas flow. You can see the argon blanket projected on a
white surface. See if it looks like a laminar flow smoothly coming out
of the torch. If not, something in the gas lens or cup is not working
right. A plain torch will show a lot of turbulent mixing of the flow.
It is at least possible you have too MUCH gas flow and it is becoming
turbulent.

You need to use a gas lens in a very breeze-free environment. Even the
cooling fans in the welder can stir up the air enough to defeat the gas
lens.

And, of course, leave the torch in position until the post-flow times out
to continue to shield the hot parts.
*About helmets , yesterday after the customer dropped off the parts ,
*I
decided to get set up and do some trial runs . Lit off the torch and the
helmet didn't respond ... that one is a HF cheapie , I think I paid
about 40 bucks for it on sale .

These have cheap button cell batteries in them, that go bad after a while.
I usually leave mine in bright light for a few hours before using it,
that seems to help. But, if the batteries are dead, you can replace them.

Jon
Old July 11th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

**************

I might like having all the controls on the inside. My big complaint about
the Lincoln is the shade adjust knob broke off, and the shade no longer
adjusts. Its always on he darkest setting now when it trips.

Old July 12th 18, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 7:56:27 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
..

*About helmets , yesterday after the customer dropped off the parts , I
decided to get set up and do some trial runs . Lit off the torch and the
helmet didn't respond ... that one is a HF cheapie , I think I paid
about 40 bucks for it on sale . So last night I look at the new HF flier
, and there's a Vulcan that looks pretty damn good for $149.95 ,
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety .
Get off my lawn !

Don't throw your old helmet away. On AliExpress you can buy replacement lens assemblies for about $10 including shipping. It has been some time since I got one, so I did a quick seach and found one for $4.21 including shipping.

Dan

Old July 12th 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.

*About helmets , yesterday after the customer dropped off the parts , I
decided to get set up and do some trial runs . Lit off the torch and the
helmet didn't respond ... that one is a HF cheapie , I think I paid
about 40 bucks for it on sale . So last night I look at the new HF flier
, and there's a Vulcan that looks pretty damn good for $149.95 ,
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety .
Get off my lawn !

Don't throw your old helmet away. On AliExpress you can buy replacement lens assemblies for about $10 including shipping. It has been some time since I got one, so I did a quick seach and found one for $4.21 including shipping.

Dan

If his HF cheapie is like mine the helmet sucks big time. It doesn't
sit well on your head and the top rear is wide open. Works great for
dingle berries coming in for a visit... You would be better off taking
the auto lens out and putting it in a better helmet

I saved instructions a while back for fixing the battery problem. Seems
to be here now:

http://www.pskl.us/wp/index0ae0.html?p=648

Looks like there are several youtube videos for same:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...helmet+battery

They don't work well with most inverter TIGs from what I've heard. The
arc is too smooth to trip the auto-dark consistently. They work best
with gnarly arcs, lots of flickering going on.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old July 12th 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

[...]

* Which would explain why this one was more reliable when I was using
pulse ... when on DC . Welding aluminum on AC seemed to work pretty well
though without pulsing .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old July 13th 18, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the helmets do need draperies at the back. I keep meaning to
pop-rivet a black cloth over the top at the back. Time to write it
down on my whiteboard, so I see it every day until done.

I saved instructions a while back for fixing the battery problem. Seems
to be here now:

http://www.pskl.us/wp/index0ae0.html?p=648

Looks like there are several youtube videos for same:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...helmet+battery

They don't work well with most inverter TIGs from what I've heard. The
arc is too smooth to trip the auto-dark consistently. They work best
with gnarly arcs, lots of flickering going on.

I take mine out into the sun for a couple minutes while I set up to
weld, and it works flawlessly with the HF inverter TIG welder.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Old July 13th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* " So I got the job making the glass bead mandrels , and I'm TIG
welding them with some Invar 42 bare rod ."

* The customer is happy . They dressed the weldment down to/near the
original handle * diameter , she said she really gave them a workout and
they held up just fine . Got 18 more to make , should take just a couple
or three hours now I got it figgered out .

--
Snag
Yes, I'm old

Old July 15th 18, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:30:21 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* " So I got the job making the glass bead mandrels , and I'm TIG
welding them with some Invar 42 bare rod ."

* The customer is happy . They dressed the weldment down to/near the
original handle * diameter , she said she really gave them a workout and
they held up just fine . Got 18 more to make , should take just a couple
or three hours now I got it figgered out .

Kudos.

--
Snag
Yes, I'm old