Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Works Fine

Description says it works fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSC-Milling...AOSwi6RbL~B r

Best Regards
Tom.

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 21:18:28 -0700, "Howard Beel"
wrote:

Description says it works fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSC-Milling...AOSwi6RbL~B r

Best Regards
Tom.

Glad to hear that. It will be a great boat anchor for someone.

Or are you looking to get it?

Heads up..they work like crap on anything other than Aluminum...and
even then they are exceptionally marginal.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 9:13:26 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Glad to hear that. It will be a great boat anchor for someone.

Or are you looking to get it?

Heads up..they work like crap on anything other than Aluminum...and
even then they are exceptionally marginal.

Have to disagree with you on this. Drill/Mills come in various sizes and will do most all of the milling a hobbiest does. I would not buy one for a commercial shop, but useful.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 9:13:26 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Glad to hear that. It will be a great boat anchor for someone.

Or are you looking to get it?

Heads up..they work like crap on anything other than Aluminum...and
even then they are exceptionally marginal.

Have to disagree with you on this. Drill/Mills come in various
sizes and will do most all of the milling a hobbiest does. I would
not buy one for a commercial shop, but useful.

Dan

I bought an MSC RF-31 for the shop at an electronics company. It was
more useful than the ratty drill press it replaced and capable of
about 0.005" accuracy, limited by manufacturing errors of squareness
and slop in the downfeed. It was adequate to drill and machine
electronic control panels, the task I bought it for.

I'd say it was good enough for a hobbyist making welded assemblies who
needs to fishtail tubing ends and square off chop saw cuts.

It was NOT good enough to make precision replacement parts for
electronic component handlers. I took those jobs home to my
50-year-old Clausing.knee mill.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 06:35:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 9:13:26 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Glad to hear that. It will be a great boat anchor for someone.

Or are you looking to get it?

Heads up..they work like crap on anything other than Aluminum...and
even then they are exceptionally marginal.

Have to disagree with you on this. Drill/Mills come in various sizes and will do most all of the milling a hobbiest does. I would not buy one for a commercial shop, but useful.

Dan

You will notice that the head is perched on top of a round column?
When that column is loosened to move the head up or down..its going to
allow the head to swing like a chick on a trapeeze.

Yes..you may..may..may be able to cut mild steel..maybe..with a new
sharp 4 flute cutter...but you will never ever be able to make any
repeated cuts that are of the same size/location.

Yes..you may be able to mill a big part out in the middle of a parking
lot with the head attached to a 55 gallon drum of concrete...but is
it worth the effort?

Shrug..its his choice. USe it wisely.

There is a reason Rong Fu mills are bought once..and then the owners
do nothing but whimper, cry, **** all over themselves and beg for
help. Its because they are largely..crap and its nearly impossible to
make repeated cuts.

Shrug. Ive said all Im going to say..Im not going to argue with
"smart" grownups about wishful thinking.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The one I used was capable of ruler, pencil line and center punch
accuracy, like woodworking machines. It was not for serious machinists
with micrometers. You decide what you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Beel" wrote in message news
Description says it works fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSC-Milling...AOSwi6RbL~B r

Best Regards
Tom.

******************

Looks like the bigger one. Not the RF30/31, but the larger one you
sometimes see. No not an RF45. The RF45 is a bed mill. My buddy had one
of the bigger round column mills. It looked exactly the same as my RF30
except very noticeably larger and heavier. His was definitely a better
quality machine QCed by Jet instead of Harbor Freight. His was pretty good
for a hobby machine, but he got rid of it ultimately for a bed mill in the
RF45 class to replace it. Same reason most folks complain about round
column mills. Raise the head and loose your location.

I had an RF30 from Harbor Freight, and some days I miss it. (not often) I
actually used it to make parts to do repairs on other better mills a few
times in a pinch. I do have a smaller round column mill drill I kept, and
yes I use it. Looks like a baby version of the RF30. I use it mostly for
positional drilling and occasionally face two parts to the same (if unknown)
dimension, but I have milled parts with it in a pinch. My little one does
not have a fine feed on the quill, so I use spacers, gages, and the quill
stop to set depth. Then just lock the quill hard. I setup the the quill
lock to use a vise handle since the anemic lever screw it came with was just
not up to the job. A lot of times for a simple part its just a lot faster
than programming the CNC or even using midi mode and the jog wheel on the
CNC mills.

I'll probably never get rid of that little one, but I do plan to pick up a
bigger manual mill again when the time is right. Probably a Taiwanese
import knee mill through Precision Mathews. I'm pretty impressed with the
Chinese 14x40 lathe I got from Matt (for the price), but even Matt admits he
gets better machines from the Taiwanese plants (for more money) than direct
from China.

If I had no mill at all and I was in comfortable driving distance I would
probably make a low ball bid on the one in that listing. Its obviously sat
unused for a long time and been allowed to rust, but you can make parts with
it in a pinch. Maybe not high precision parts, but useable parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 9:13:26 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Glad to hear that. It will be a great boat anchor for someone.

Or are you looking to get it?

Heads up..they work like crap on anything other than Aluminum...and
even then they are exceptionally marginal.

Have to disagree with you on this. Drill/Mills come in various sizes and will do most all of the milling a hobbiest does. I would not buy one for a commercial shop, but useful.

Dan

You need to get more "professional." Instead of a machine that does
what you need to do, find a big honking piece of iron that somebody is
giving away. Pay to drag it home and let it sit. Then you can spend
more time on Usenet talking about the big machine you own, and
scoffing at anything smaller. The strategy works the same way for
other iron, so get some free motorcycles while you're at it. Oh the
stories you'll be able to tell! BTW, don't tell those stories on
normal forums because you'll get laughed at. Stick to RCM which has a
very high tolerance for BS.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/26/2018 9:51 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

There is a reason Rong Fu mills are bought once..and then the owners
do nothing but whimper, cry, **** all over themselves and beg for
help. Its because they are largely..crap and its nearly impossible to
make repeated cuts.

Shrug. Ive said all Im going to say..Im not going to argue with
"smart" grownups about wishful thinking.

Gunner

Â*Â*Â* Get a grip Gunner , YOU"RE WRONG . While my bench top mill isn't a
RF , it's a clone . It has a geared head moving on a dovetail column ,
weighs 800 pounds and it's every bit as capable as your BP mill - in
it's work envelope . This machine is but distantly related to the round
column mills , I've checked tram on both the head (it rotates in Z on
the dovetail slide it rides on) and the column and after some very minor
adjustments it moves less than .001"in 6" on the column dovetail . A
face mill leaves a crosshatch pattern ... A recent project involved
recutting the ends of the drive dogs on a front wheel drive dog clutch
on a 20+ year old New Holland tractor . It had beat them to a near 45°
angle on both ends . Did I mention that this clutch set was made of
hardened steel ? I used TNMG 321 C6 carbide inserts in a home made end
mill ... and my rotary table to index the cuts so the dog ends would
bear equal loading and not introduce side thrust (neutral axial loading
?) into the system .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 22:35:41 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

[...]

1. I dont have a Bridgeport. I have a Gorton MasterMill. Makes a BP
look like a Gumby mill. There is a reason I own a Gorton MasterMill.
I want my mill to be solid, rigid and repeatable.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M2RGcU17ngPhHKE89

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4vkr24GdSr5R76CL9

You will also note a Horizontal mill. 40 taper, 4hp motor, power on
all 4 axis. Its an Italian Larios. Well made, very solid mill in a
small foot print. Gettiing 15" per minute feed rates while keeping 3/4
deep cuts going...not a problem on mild steel. It too..isnt a RF or
clone.
https://goo.gl/photos/TtuGgiarPqwipVRb7

I want my mills to be solid, rigid, repeatable.

https://goo.gl/photos/u2zdG8Yy5z1mSQpW9

2. Ive been forced to use a number of those RF clones. Mills are
somethng I do for a living..moving, modifying, fixing and adjusting
them..as well as actually machining with them. Ive had 22 yrs
experience at this. I think the average BP to be barely useable as a
precision machine..even when in Excellent condition..which are rare to
find these days. They do an OK job for low tolerance work but very
light duty. Better than a drill press..mostly. Usually.

Given how many BPs, Rong Fu clones etc etc are well used, poorly
maintained and out of adjustment...they are..to me..like free handing
bolt patterns with a cheap 3/8" hand drill, while balancing the work
on a busted wooden pallet..thats not level. Shrug.

If they work for you..good enough. If they provide enough precision
for your needs...wonderful!

I bought my machine tools for cheap, rebuilt them and use them for
precision work...including building high precision rifles. Cutting to
small thousands to 5 tenths is everyday machining for me. Shrug

Each to his own.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 23:49:43 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Cutting to
small thousands to 5 tenths is everyday machining for me. Shrug

Hahaha! See also:

"Engineering"...right? I do
That..every day."
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...8/W18ojvVyFwAJ

"I drag out the rifles when the ranges go over 250 meters when varmint
shooting."
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...75ae65479ede0f

"my backhoe is fueled!"
http://groups.google.com/group/talk....c5e138b751217a

"Ive never had a car accident in 30 yrs/10 million miles of driving"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...00195d4af80a15

Gosh, with all that machining and engineering and driving, one wonders
how you find the time to tell people how talented and busy you are.

Each to his own.

Your own is making up nonsense that nobody believes. Because if you
could do any of those everyday things, you'd be making a good living,
from home, and not sleeping in your truck half the time.