DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Collet Size Choices (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/613369-collet-size-choices.html)

Bob La Londe[_7_] June 22nd 18 01:41 AM

Collet Size Choices

In the past collets have almost always been predetermined for my by the
size of the spindle nose I was using.

Well, I am now setting up a new machine with a small ATC carousel. As
part of the setup package and extra stuff I bought I have set screw tool
holders, er16 tool holders, and ER20 tool holders along with a
collection of collets both brand new with the machine, and that I have
accumulated as needed from older machines.

So, how do I decide what to use for what tool. I use a lot of 1/8 shank
stuff from 0.125" down to about 0.026". My instinct is to put all that
small stuff in ER 16 tool holders, use the ER-20 for any larger tools
that I want to optimize concentricity, and use the set screw holders for
all my roughing tools.

So, anyway... am I way off base here?

I also picked up some new chucks and arbors, extension compression taper
(er16), and some other specialty stuff for the new machine.

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 22nd 18 07:47 AM

Collet Size Choices

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:41:29 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a logical choice to me, assuming you have room to store
the tool holders/collets neatly and in a fashion you can reach them
quickly.

---

Bob La Londe[_7_] June 22nd 18 04:37 PM

Collet Size Choices

wrote:

[...]

****************

My concern was mostly about whether or not there was a real reason for
larger or smaller collet choices based on tool size where the tool sizes
overlap in both sizes of collet. I do have a fair number of 1/8 inch ER16
collets on hand though, and only a few in ER20.

The plan is to have the most commonly used longer running tools mounted in
the carousel. Then have tools that are only used for short periods and that
can be group at the beginning or end of jobs placed in a folded sheet metal
rack screwed to the outside of the enclosure. ONLY tools that have been
programmed into the machine will go into the carousel or on the rack on the
machine. Unprogrammed tools will stay in a drawer. One of the things I
plan to do today is mount and program offsets for several tools. Well,
after my other chores are done and I test a cut operation for a tricky 4
piece mold on the other machines. I've been taking my time setting up this
new machine.