DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   giddings and lewis (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/612582-giddings-lewis.html)

erik l June 9th 18 09:08 PM

giddings and lewis

I was wondering what you people knew about these lathes? the one i see
has 64" chucks on tables, 40hp main motor, and seems to be accurate. it
looks to be fairly old.

Jon Elson June 10th 18 05:29 AM

giddings and lewis

erik l wrote:

I was wondering what you people knew about these lathes? the one i see
has 64" chucks on tables, 40hp main motor, and seems to be accurate. it
looks to be fairly old.

Giddings & Lewis made some pretty big machines. Some of them have
hydrostatic slides, which adds a buch of complexity in the oil scavenging
system. But, REALLY good iron! Be sure you understand the massive weight
of these machines before committing to anything.

Jon

erik l June 13th 18 01:26 AM

giddings and lewis

On 6/9/2018 11:29 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
erik l wrote:

I was wondering what you people knew about these lathes? the one i see
has 64" chucks on tables, 40hp main motor, and seems to be accurate. it
looks to be fairly old.

Giddings & Lewis made some pretty big machines. Some of them have
hydrostatic slides, which adds a buch of complexity in the oil scavenging
system. But, REALLY good iron! Be sure you understand the massive weight
of these machines before committing to anything.

Jon

i was wrong its just a 60" chuck. and yes it has several scavenge
pumps, it seems more elaborate and energy wasting than it should have
been.

Gunner Asch[_6_] June 19th 18 05:44 AM

giddings and lewis

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 15:08:53 -0500, erik l wrote:

I was wondering what you people knew about these lathes? the one i see
has 64" chucks on tables, 40hp main motor, and seems to be accurate. it
looks to be fairly old.

G&L are good machines. Very good iron in its day. If its been well
taken care of..its a nice lathe.

---