DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is It Really? - Black "Iron" PIpe (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/610303-really-black-iron-pipe.html)

Bob La Londe[_7_] May 5th 18 06:03 PM

Is It Really? - Black "Iron" PIpe

I'm pretty sure its low C steel, but I thought I'd ask. If I wander over to
the local box store and pick up a piece of black "iron" pipe is it really
iron or is it low C steel? It bends more like steel.

Ed Huntress May 5th 18 07:19 PM

Is It Really? - Black "Iron" PIpe

On Sat, 5 May 2018 10:03:18 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I'm pretty sure its low C steel, but I thought I'd ask. If I wander over to
the local box store and pick up a piece of black "iron" pipe is it really
iron or is it low C steel? It bends more like steel.

It is welded steel pipe.

Real iron pipe is available only in very large sizes, and is obviously
cylindrically cast. You won't mistake it for smooth, welded-seam black
"iron" pipe.

--
Ed Huntress