DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3D Printing of metal parts (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/607497-3d-printing-metal-parts.html)

[email protected] March 22nd 18 03:14 PM

3D Printing of metal parts

This is very interesting to me.
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/...nology-130724/

Ed Huntress March 22nd 18 03:58 PM

3D Printing of metal parts

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:14:40 -0400, wrote:

This is very interesting to me.
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/...nology-130724/

3D methods using metal are exciting, and the laser/wire method has
looked promising for a couple of years.

One thing to keep in mind when you consider any of the additive metal
methods is the big hurdle in applying them: With a couple of promising
exceptions, they can't produce parts from metals that are
heat-treatable.

Any grade of aluminum (such as 6061, 2024, etc.) or of steel (1040 or
above in carbon) that undergoes a hardening phase change won't work --
so far. So it's been limited to lower alloys or alloys that don't
harden via a phase change.

For example, making injection molds and diecasting dies are *major*
applications that the 3D people are working towards. But, so far,
they've been limited to making them from maraging steel, which is
expensive and less than ideal as a mold material.

But keep you eye on it. I was writing about it every couple of months
when I was still working (at Fab Shop magazine), and you practically
needed a program to keep up. It's moving really fast.

--
Ed Huntress