Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:18:39 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Finding out they're pregnant.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

My ~35 year old Mitutoyo 505-644 does not. Googling, the current
505-644-50 does and they are $175! Ouch!!
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Finding out they're pregnant.

That might coincide with being dropped. Because when you drop one you
know a new one is coming soon. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Finding out they're pregnant.

That might coincide with being dropped. Because when you drop one

you
know a new one is coming soon. LOL.

I think ****dress uses them to measure the artificial cervix he had
installed into his ****.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Finding out they're pregnant.

That might coincide with being dropped. Because when you drop one you h
know a new one is coming soon. LOL.

You're funny on Fridays, Bob. d8-)

--
Ed Huntressh
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Dial pointer jumping, maybe? Crystal integrity?

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/2/2018 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.Â* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?Â* Certainly not being dropped.

I pulled my two Mitutoyo calipers out of the box and looked at them this
morning. The older metric one does not say shockproof on it, but the
new one my wife got me for my birthday in January does. Doesn't mean I
am not going to put it back in its case in the drawer every single time
I am done using it. LOL.

I think I am going to make a trip over to Harbor Freight and buy a half
dozen of their 20 dollar NTMT dial calipers to leave laying around the
shop for guessing with.

NTMT (Never The Same Measurement Twice)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial. Exactly what shock are they proof
against? Certainly not being dropped.

Dial pointer jumping, maybe? Crystal integrity?

From what the metrology guys tell me..its pointer jumping for the most
part..and having a rugged mechanism inboard. Ive seen more than a few
Chicom calipers that both jumped 0 and busted the guts..while only a
few Teslas, B&S, Mitys etc..and then after a long period of abuse.

Works the same with wrist watches btw. Assuming the shockproof isnt a
lie by the promotion department in China.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 10:49:37 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 3/2/2018 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?* Certainly not being dropped.

I pulled my two Mitutoyo calipers out of the box and looked at them this
morning. The older metric one does not say shockproof on it, but the
new one my wife got me for my birthday in January does. Doesn't mean I
am not going to put it back in its case in the drawer every single time
I am done using it. LOL.

I think I am going to make a trip over to Harbor Freight and buy a half
dozen of their 20 dollar NTMT dial calipers to leave laying around the
shop for guessing with.

NTMT (Never The Same Measurement Twice)

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:51:05 -0800

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

I want a dial caliper in fractions of an inch. Because I do a
lot of woodworking using inches and fractions thereof - and I haven't
memorized the drill size conversion charts.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've noticed that. Initially atleast they all work just fine, but my 50
year old Companiom mics (cheap, but made in USA) are not very good. I
never really mention it, but my Harbor Freight and Speedway calipers
have held up just as well as my Fowlers. I don't know about the
Mitutoyos, because I am very careful with them, although my old metric
one may have been dropped once or twice before it came to me. Its got
some of that spongy accuracy like a badly treated Harbor Freight one.

My cheap Speedway mics are nearly as accurate as my ancient Starrets
after adjustment. I checked them all at atleast 3 points in their
travel with gage blocks. I also found atleast compared to the Starret
standards that my 4 inch gage block is off by almost a thousandth. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/4/2018 8:24 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Gunner Asch on Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:51:05 -0800

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

I want a dial caliper in fractions of an inch. Because I do a
lot of woodworking using inches and fractions thereof - and I haven't
memorized the drill size conversion charts.
--
pyotr filipivich

Harbor Freight sells one, or they used to. Their selection has been
reduced dramatically in recent years. I have one and its pretty
accurate for what it is, but for most of my wood working a tape measure
is good enough. If I start an important project I buy a new tape
measure and check it against my machinist scale at the beginning of the
project. Usually if I need something done more accurately than that I
just let one of the CNC machines cut it to dimension. I rarely use my
fractional dial caliper.

Here is a picture of the one I have:
http://tacklemaker.info/index.php?ac...sa=view;pic=55

I don't know why, but I tend to like dial calipers much more than
electronic digital ones. Even for my one inch mic I prefer the analog
digital to an electronic digital.

I see HF has a 12" digital though. It would have come in handy for my
current job. Its a nasty mishmash of imperial and metric dimensions. I
have a 12" Fowler inch caliper that has never been dropped, but I have
had to write conversion all over the cabinet of my mills with a dry
erase marker to keep from getting lost. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/2/2018 7:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Every dial caliper I own (I think every one) or have owned says
shockproof right on the dial.Â* Exactly what shock are they proof
against?Â* Certainly not being dropped.

My first dial caliper was a Starrett, because I thought it was quality.
No cover over the rack and no way to reset it when it jumped on a chip.

After that, I bought cheap ones because I found that none lasted well in
the shop environment. I'd pick up 3 at the local Enco store or Harbor
Fright, they were accurate enough and would last about 2 years, then
back for 3 more. I tried a few digital ones, but I had to pull the
battery when I'd put it away or it would be dead the next time I needed
it. Turning it off just seemed to turn off the display, not the whole unit.

Now that I'm retired, I keep finding new ones in odd places around the
house. Why did I put that there?

David

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 07:24:09 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:51:05 -0800

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

I want a dial caliper in fractions of an inch. Because I do a
lot of woodworking using inches and fractions thereof - and I haven't
memorized the drill size conversion charts.
--
pyotr filipivich

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ive got Starrett, Brown and Sharp and NSK mike sets up to 14"
Ive also got some mechanical digital Mities that go from 1-12"

I brokered a deal 2 weeks ago for Starretts up to 48" and pi tapes to
20 feet.

And of course..ID bar mikes to 14'

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe on Sun, 4 Mar 2018 11:14:34 -0700 typed

I don't know why, but I tend to like dial calipers much more than
electronic digital ones. Even for my one inch mic I prefer the analog
digital to an electronic digital.

Dial calipers, like analog clocks, don't just tell you the
measurement/time - but where you are in the inch/hour.
Yes .250 is a quarter of an inch. So is .275, for some values of
"one quarter". But a fractional dial shows you that either you are
not yet down to a quarter inch, or you're "oversize".

Just as 9:50 doesn't _show_ you that you have "that much" time
till 10.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe on Sun, 4 Mar 2018 11:00:03 -0700 typed

My cheap Speedway mics are nearly as accurate as my ancient Starrets
after adjustment. I checked them all at atleast 3 points in their
travel with gage blocks. I also found atleast compared to the Starret
standards that my 4 inch gage block is off by almost a thousandth. LOL.

What's the old saying "2+2=5 for large values of 2 and small
values of 5"?

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:51:05 -0800

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

I want a dial caliper in fractions of an inch. Because I do a
lot of woodworking using inches and fractions thereof - and I haven't
memorized the drill size conversion charts.
--
pyotr filipivich

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

But you might find a dial caliper in fractions. I got mine at Harbor
Freight. LOL.

Here is a picture of the one I have:
http://tacklemaker.info/index.php?ac...sa=view;pic=55

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 04 Mar 2018 16:16:25 -0800
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:51:05 -0800

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

I want a dial caliper in fractions of an inch. Because I do a
lot of woodworking using inches and fractions thereof - and I haven't
memorized the drill size conversion charts.
--
pyotr filipivich

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

Dial fractional caliper $58.50 measures to 6 1/2 inches

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...detail/1202F-6

Starrett - so you know it is good. They like it too $110.

and in my price range: General Tool at Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-6-in-4-Way-Dial-Caliper-142/100080103

But that's in 1/64ths which is somewhere between decimal and
useful.

Of course, I haven't been by Fast Eddy's Pawn Shop and Brokerage
House to see what they got there. (You should have seen the silly
rifle they had - someone accessorized with more enthusiasm than sense.
If I've had the money, I'd have bought it, just to start hanging more
"stuff off it" - sort of like the Swiss Army Gun or
http://www.weapon-blog.com/2016/01/omg-scary-gun/.)

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Isnt that what I just said? That you can get em at HF?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 16:56:48 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!

I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No. You said you could get a digital one their. I got a dial one
there. Reads in fractions. Posted a link to a picture of mine too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!

I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!

Gunner

---

It is not as accurate as a decimal one though. The dial turns at a
higher rate. One turn is one inch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!

I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!

Gunner

---

It is not as accurate as a decimal one though. The dial turns at a
higher rate. One turn is one inch.

Yeah..I read that. Im simply not sure why anybody would want one. But
it is cool.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!

I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!

Gunner

---

It is not as accurate as a decimal one though. The dial turns at a
higher rate. One turn is one inch.

Yeah..I read that. Im simply not sure why anybody would want one. But
it is cool.

On pondering it...I can see some...some... uses for this in places
that make raw materials..boards, sheets and similar stock in mills.
You can easily see how close to say..5/8" your planer is cutting.
But..you are going to have to adjust the blades in thousands, based on
the commerical planers Ive worked on. So if your .625 sheet is
actually coming out .608...you adjust the blades the proper +.017 and
get it back to what its supposed to be.

So yeah..I can see some..some uses for this. Not one Id ever have
though that I can foresee.

But..shrug...if it floats a guys boat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 03 Mar 2018 20:51:05 -0800

Unless you get the all plastic ones..the HF calipers work just as well
as just about any "good one". They may not last 30 yrs in a busy
shop..but most makers today, foreign and domestic (any domestic makers
left?) make mics and calibers more than good enough..and accurate
enough for home shop and moderate commercial use.

I want a dial caliper in fractions of an inch. Because I do a
lot of woodworking using inches and fractions thereof - and I haven't
memorized the drill size conversion charts.

My $20 HF digital shows in thou, mm, and fractions at the touch of a
button. I buy batteries from China at $0.12-$0.20 apiece in lots of
10.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 04 Mar 2018 23:43:21 -0800
wrote:

You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.

Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!

I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!

You're welcome.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:25:39 -0700 typed
wrote:
You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.
Not to harsh your mellow, but
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!

I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!

Gunner

It is not as accurate as a decimal one though. The dial turns at a
higher rate. One turn is one inch.

Not as accurate as a micrometer - or a laser for that matter.

But a dial which shows the full inch, also lets me "see" that it
is "about two hairs past a quarter inch". Just don't forget to add
the inch - I do not want to think about the number of times I read the
'fraction' of a digital/ dial caliper or mic and forgot the rest of
it.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 05 Mar 2018 12:03:25 -0800
wrote:
[...]

Guys buy tools like women buy shoes - because they like it, they
will have it, and some other ... person, won't. Nyah.

And, as you say, "Whatever floats your boat." I want one to make
matching holes or dowels with drills a bit easier.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Easier how? Buy measuring spacing with an instrument which breaks
down measurements by 64ths of an inch..or by measurements which break
them down by 1000ths of an inch?

(hint..go with 1000ths)

--
pyotr filipivich

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You are measuring something that is 4.357"..and you forget the 4"?

Nurse! Atropine! Stat!!!

(Grin)

--
pyotr filipivich

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 05 Mar 2018 21:12:49 -0800

It is not as accurate as a decimal one though. The dial turns at a
higher rate. One turn is one inch.

Not as accurate as a micrometer - or a laser for that matter.

But a dial which shows the full inch, also lets me "see" that it
is "about two hairs past a quarter inch". Just don't forget to add
the inch - I do not want to think about the number of times I read the
'fraction' of a digital/ dial caliper or mic and forgot the rest of
it.

You are measuring something that is 4.357"..and you forget the 4"?

Nurse! Atropine! Stat!!!

(Grin)

Snerk - more like (squinting at mic) 'That's .2" and not "that's
..002 plus two times .250". Nerts.

I cut it off twice and it is still too short!
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 05 Mar 2018 21:11:15 -0800

wrote:
[...]

Wood swells that much when you breath on it. 8-) *

I wants one because I wants one. For the same reason people get a
Ronco pocket fisherman, or a Henry Taylor #7 Spoon Gouge. Because I
think it will solve a problem.

"Think of the flame thrower. Someone had to think to themselves "I
want to be able to set stuff on fire - way over there." and then work
all the bugs out.

tschus
pyotr

* co-worker told of working in a woodworking store, guy comes in wants
a block of wood 100 cm on a side, to .001. "Sir, wood swells that
much just by breathing on it. Also - a block that large is going to
be impossible to find."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/6/2018 10:09 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
I cut it off twice and it is still too short!
--
pyotr filipivich

Measure twice, cut once, weld and repeat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Mar 2018 09:09:29 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Thats why digitals are handy for many people.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

ROFOMAO!!!! Well done Sir!!

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
* co-worker told of working in a woodworking store, guy comes in
wants
a block of wood 100 cm on a side, to .001. "Sir, wood swells that
much just by breathing on it. Also - a block that large is going to
be impossible to find."
--
pyotr filipivich

Hmmmmm...I could sell my scrap cutoffs of 6x6 deck posts as kits to
make the Platonic Solids.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 06 Mar 2018 11:17:18 -0800
wrote:

[...]

Yeah - precision guesswork. B-)

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 6 Mar 2018 15:07:25 -0500
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
* co-worker told of working in a woodworking store, guy comes in
wants
a block of wood 100 cm on a side, to .001. "Sir, wood swells that
much just by breathing on it. Also - a block that large is going to
be impossible to find."
--
pyotr filipivich

Hmmmmm...I could sell my scrap cutoffs of 6x6 deck posts as kits to
make the Platonic Solids.

Sound like it might have possibilities.

Especially when considering what is being sold...

--
pyotr filipivich