Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shockproof? Really?

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 15:07:25 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
* co-worker told of working in a woodworking store, guy comes in
wants
a block of wood 100 cm on a side, to .001. "Sir, wood swells that
much just by breathing on it. Also - a block that large is going to
be impossible to find."
--
pyotr filipivich

Hmmmmm...I could sell my scrap cutoffs of 6x6 deck posts as kits to
make the Platonic Solids.

I'm still using guard rail post cut-offs that I collected in 1980!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Mar 2018 09:09:29 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 05 Mar 2018 21:11:15 -0800
On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 20:46:20 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 05 Mar 2018 12:03:25 -0800
On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 11:51:38 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:25:39 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:
On 3/5/2018 12:43 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 16:56:48 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
You wont find a Dial caliper in fractions. You will however find a
DIGITAL caliper in fractions at...Harbor Freight.
Not to harsh your mellow, but

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...l-dial-caliper

No ****? Cool! Ive never seen one of those before! Thanks for the
link!!
I have one of the digital fractional calipers..but not one of those.
Way cool!
Gunner
It is not as accurate as a decimal one though. The dial turns at a
higher rate. One turn is one inch.

Yeah..I read that. Im simply not sure why anybody would want one. But
it is cool.

On pondering it...I can see some...some... uses for this in places
that make raw materials..boards, sheets and similar stock in mills.
You can easily see how close to say..5/8" your planer is cutting.
But..you are going to have to adjust the blades in thousands, based on
the commerical planers Ive worked on. So if your .625 sheet is
actually coming out .608...you adjust the blades the proper +.017 and
get it back to what its supposed to be.

So yeah..I can see some..some uses for this. Not one Id ever have
though that I can foresee.

But..shrug...if it floats a guys boat.

Guys buy tools like women buy shoes - because they like it, they
will have it, and some other ... person, won't. Nyah.

And, as you say, "Whatever floats your boat." I want one to make
matching holes or dowels with drills a bit easier.

Easier how? Buy measuring spacing with an instrument which breaks
down measurements by 64ths of an inch..or by measurements which break
them down by 1000ths of an inch?

(hint..go with 1000ths)

Wood swells that much when you breath on it. 8-) *

So does metal.

I wants one because I wants one. For the same reason people get a
Ronco pocket fisherman, or a Henry Taylor #7 Spoon Gouge. Because I
think it will solve a problem.

Ayup. float = boat

"Think of the flame thrower. Someone had to think to themselves "I
want to be able to set stuff on fire - way over there." and then work
all the bugs out.

I like the way you think, Pete. VBG

* co-worker told of working in a woodworking store, guy comes in wants
a block of wood 100 cm on a side, to .001. "Sir, wood swells that
much just by breathing on it. Also - a block that large is going to
be impossible to find."

Nah, just chop down a redwood or any old-growth pine/oak/etc. It'll
stay within that 0.001 (in one place) for at least a few minutes in a
small temp/hum-controlled space. I wonder if he meant 100mm...

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Wed, 07 Mar 2018
09:14:05 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:
[...]

iirc - Scot asked - he meant a meter.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
..
Or in this case - I have this collection of dowels and they are
all "bout that big" Somewhere between 1/4 and 5/16. Or maybe
they're
3/8" - what ever.
--
pyotr filipivich

I bought the contents of the pipe threader scrap bin at Home Depot
once, for stock to turn sleeves and hubs and bushings. Some of the
pieces were only a crude approximation of "round".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 8 Mar 2018 20:19:00 -0500
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
..
Or in this case - I have this collection of dowels and they are
all "bout that big" Somewhere between 1/4 and 5/16. Or maybe
they're
3/8" - what ever.
--
pyotr filipivich

I bought the contents of the pipe threader scrap bin at Home Depot
once, for stock to turn sleeves and hubs and bushings. Some of the
pieces were only a crude approximation of "round".

"Round - for some value of 'round'."

I have studied GD&T one several occasions. Flat, level, round,
perpendicular - for some value of same, this complies.
I mean a LP album is "flat" at one level, "not flat" at another..

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
* co-worker told of working in a woodworking store, guy comes in wants
a block of wood 100 cm on a side, to .001. "Sir, wood swells that
much just by breathing on it. Also - a block that large is going to
be impossible to find."

Nah, just chop down a redwood or any old-growth pine/oak/etc. It'll
stay within that 0.001 (in one place) for at least a few minutes in a
small temp/hum-controlled space. I wonder if he meant 100mm...

iirc - Scot asked - he meant a meter.

That's why I initially said redwood/old growth, which would be large
enough for a cubic meter of wood, but you never know with the public.
They get these odd tidbits of "news" from CNN and they're off and
running.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 07:40:56 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Fri, 09 Mar 2018
08:00:48 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I bought the kits eons ago, then made my own centering device.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1014/205585492
They came with brad point bits, so they don't drift so easily. Trying
to fit 2 boards together with imprecisely drilled dowel holes is like
herding cats. Jus tain't possible.

Hence the reason I had for wanting a long auger bit. The need for
through holes on two 3" inch boards.

You can buy long brad point bits. https://is.gd/6aBAEs and other
sources.

I forgot to mention dowel centers. You drill holes in one board, put
the centers in the holes, then match up the other board to it and tap
against the points, marking the second board precisely.
https://is.gd/ldqXBh

You realize this is stretching even my old memory. Ancient wood tech,
y'know? It's all biscuits and kreg now. Unless you're rich and can
afford a Festeringtool Domino, a li'l $960 kit. Want a $1,000 shop
vac? Oops, I mean "dust extractor") They have 'em.
https://www.festoolusa.com/

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Sun, 11 Mar 2018
17:03:16 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:
Larry Jaques on Fri, 09 Mar 2018
08:00:48 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I bought the kits eons ago, then made my own centering device.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1014/205585492
They came with brad point bits, so they don't drift so easily. Trying
to fit 2 boards together with imprecisely drilled dowel holes is like
herding cats. Jus tain't possible.

Hence the reason I had for wanting a long auger bit. The need for
through holes on two 3" inch boards.

You can buy long brad point bits. https://is.gd/6aBAEs and other
sources.

Will have to look into those.

I forgot to mention dowel centers. You drill holes in one board, put
the centers in the holes, then match up the other board to it and tap
against the points, marking the second board precisely.
https://is.gd/ldqXBh

My problem is: no means to be sure I've the axis of the second
hole aligned with that of the first. So long bits, drill one long
hole and cutting it in half (or thirds,with the extra hole can be used
in handles or other projects.)

thanks
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I worked with some Festtool sanders, seemed to be a good tool for
the intended use (finishing up imitations stone countertops.)
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

If the hole is square to the surface a Portalign works well.
https://www.ebay.com/i/162849626344?chn=ps

A more general approach is to lay out and center punch both ends of
both holes in a straight line, then drill with the work resting on and
aligned by an upright point on the drill press table in line with the
spindle axis.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

If you don't have a drill press, get one. Or (less ChaChing) get a
drill guide (the tool you strap onto a VSR drill, great if you have a
second drill motor) https://is.gd/PkiEoc

I have the old 90-degree model, a PortAlign. I could slide the base up
and have the rods align with the plane of the board while centering
it. http://www.cab1net.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=634

So long bits, drill one long
hole and cutting it in half (or thirds,with the extra hole can be used
in handles or other projects.)

(I have absolutely no idea what that meant.)
OK, 4th read--guessing you're talking about drilling a single board
and then ripping (with grain) down to 2 or 3 pieces? How could an
extra 1/4" (or larger) hole work for a handle?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That they are, but the overpricing sticks in my craw. I loved their
plunge saw setup, but it would have cost me $750. The same setup I got
from Makita was $426, plus $43 an extra 55" rail and $35 for a pair of
clamps.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 12 Mar 2018 18:25:00
wrote:
[...]

My problem is - I don't have a "drill press". I had some, but
can't find them. Argggh.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Mon, 12 Mar 2018
20:56:40 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:
[...]

I have some kind of centering guide - but it requires a "second"
chuck. And I'm not sure where it is anyway.
"Excuses, excuses"

I do have a Zyliss clamping system - without the attachments.
Nerts.

So long bits, drill one long
hole and cutting it in half (or thirds,with the extra hole can be used
in handles or other projects.)

(I have absolutely no idea what that meant.)
OK, 4th read--guessing you're talking about drilling a single board
and then ripping (with grain) down to 2 or 3 pieces? How could an
extra 1/4" (or larger) hole work for a handle?

Some years ago, I was making a part which was a tube with a slot.
Two variants: one had the slot end to end, the other only had the slot
open at one end. I was making the first variant. Handed in the first
part run for sign off, foreman comes back and tells me "the slot is
too long." I tell him "the extra slot was for the strategic slut
reserve."

So, if I drill a hole too deep, the extra hole can be used for
putting the holes in wooden handles ala in paint brush.

(Now, who was the guy who sent a bunch of brushes out, and the
customer complained there weren't any holes in the handle to hang them
up. So the maker sent him "a box of holes". Which were returned with
the note "These are the wrong size, need the next size smaller.")
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Mon, 12 Mar 2018
22:08:18 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. Seems to me, some folks swear by them, others swear at
them.
In my case "It was the company's money."
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 12 Mar 2018 18:25:00
. ..
wrote:
[...]

"With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels
alone."

If the hole is square to the surface a Portalign works well.
https://www.ebay.com/i/162849626344?chn=ps

A more general approach is to lay out and center punch both ends of
both holes in a straight line, then drill with the work resting on
and
aligned by an upright point on the drill press table in line with
the
spindle axis.

My problem is - I don't have a "drill press". I had some, but
can't find them. Argggh.

--
pyotr filipivich

Well, if you can't make your own holes you'll have to buy them.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

When I put the 1/2" chuck on the old B&D VSR, I had a spare 3/8"
chuck.

I do have a Zyliss clamping system - without the attachments.
Nerts.

So long bits, drill one long
hole and cutting it in half (or thirds,with the extra hole can be used
in handles or other projects.)

(I have absolutely no idea what that meant.)
OK, 4th read--guessing you're talking about drilling a single board
and then ripping (with grain) down to 2 or 3 pieces? How could an
extra 1/4" (or larger) hole work for a handle?

Some years ago, I was making a part which was a tube with a slot.
Two variants: one had the slot end to end, the other only had the slot
open at one end. I was making the first variant. Handed in the first
part run for sign off, foreman comes back and tells me "the slot is
too long." I tell him "the extra slot was for the strategic slut
reserve."

It sounds as if you had a pretty good relationship with the guy if you
could say that to him.

So, if I drill a hole too deep, the extra hole can be used for
putting the holes in wooden handles ala in paint brush.

Unfortunately for me, that's starting to make sense.

(Now, who was the guy who sent a bunch of brushes out, and the
customer complained there weren't any holes in the handle to hang them
up. So the maker sent him "a box of holes". Which were returned with
the note "These are the wrong size, need the next size smaller.")

g They should have turned to Tyrone, the resident hole shrinker.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Wed, 14 Mar 2018
06:36:33 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

So long bits, drill one long
hole and cutting it in half (or thirds,with the extra hole can be used
in handles or other projects.)

(I have absolutely no idea what that meant.)
OK, 4th read--guessing you're talking about drilling a single board
and then ripping (with grain) down to 2 or 3 pieces? How could an
extra 1/4" (or larger) hole work for a handle?

Some years ago, I was making a part which was a tube with a slot.
Two variants: one had the slot end to end, the other only had the slot
open at one end. I was making the first variant. Handed in the first
part run for sign off, foreman comes back and tells me "the slot is
too long." I tell him "the extra slot was for the strategic slut
reserve."

It sounds as if you had a pretty good relationship with the guy if you
could say that to him.

Yeah, I did.

He's the reason I kept a set of random house keys in my toolbox.
Because after having him sign off on a bunch of stuff he said "So
where are the keys?"
Huh?
"Last time I sign so much paperwork, I got keys to a house."

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 07:40:56 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Hmmm - now that's a novel idea - selling a drill with the dowels.

I bought the kits eons ago, then made my own centering device.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1014/205585492
They came with brad point bits, so they don't drift so easily. Trying
to fit 2 boards together with imprecisely drilled dowel holes is like
herding cats. Jus tain't possible.

Hence the reason I had for wanting a long auger bit. The need for
through holes on two 3" inch boards.

Who needs auger bits? What sizes and how long? I have a..few.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 18:16:15 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Did you surprise him with them? Har!

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
--John Locke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:58:16 -0700
wrote:

Hmmm - now that's a novel idea - selling a drill with the dowels.

I bought the kits eons ago, then made my own centering device.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1014/205585492
They came with brad point bits, so they don't drift so easily. Trying
to fit 2 boards together with imprecisely drilled dowel holes is like
herding cats. Jus tain't possible.

Hence the reason I had for wanting a long auger bit. The need for
through holes on two 3" inch boards.

Who needs auger bits? What sizes and how long? I have a..few.

I do. I'm not sure what sizes. I have other things "in the way"
that need doing first.
Like finding where I stashed the table saw.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hmmm - now that's a novel idea - selling a drill with the dowels.

I bought the kits eons ago, then made my own centering device.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1014/205585492
They came with brad point bits, so they don't drift so easily. Trying
to fit 2 boards together with imprecisely drilled dowel holes is like
herding cats. Jus tain't possible.

Hence the reason I had for wanting a long auger bit. The need for
through holes on two 3" inch boards.

Who needs auger bits? What sizes and how long? I have a..few.

I do. I'm not sure what sizes. I have other things "in the way"
that need doing first.
Like finding where I stashed the table saw.
--
pyotr filipivich

Let me know what sizes and Ill dig em out.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 19 Mar 2018 04:55:26 -0700

wrote:

Hmmm - now that's a novel idea - selling a drill with the dowels.

I bought the kits eons ago, then made my own centering device.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...1014/205585492
They came with brad point bits, so they don't drift so easily. Trying
to fit 2 boards together with imprecisely drilled dowel holes is like
herding cats. Jus tain't possible.

Hence the reason I had for wanting a long auger bit. The need for
through holes on two 3" inch boards.

Who needs auger bits? What sizes and how long? I have a..few.

I do. I'm not sure what sizes. I have other things "in the way"
that need doing first.
Like finding where I stashed the table saw.
--
pyotr filipivich

Let me know what sizes and Ill dig em out.

Will do.
--
pyotr filipivich