DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to make iron filings? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/606031-re-how-make-iron-filings.html)

[email protected] February 26th 18 01:13 AM

How to make iron filings?

On Thursday, April 4, 2002 at 4:04:29 AM UTC+2, George Glines wrote:
Not kidding. My son's teacher asked me to make 1 cup of iron filings for
the 4th grade class magnetism experiments. Sounds like a real mess. I was
thinking of put some sheetmetal screens on the milling table to catch the
filings and using a roughing endmill on really fine feed to grind up a round
bar of cast iron I have.

Any better ideas on a cutter or method would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Well, I hope u blokes had fun with this. Next time ask a granny. Although it is much too late may I say: In South Africa we buy 50g of iron filings for less than a dollar from a business called Experilab.