Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do You Still Use Your Abrasive Saw(s) ?

I use mine occasionally. I used it a few weeks ago to break down some
steel square tube for a couple projects. In that case I had the little
band saw pretty busy breaking down solid bar stock, the mills were all
running, and I didn't want to stand around. I used the abrasive saw to
break down and cut all the pieces for a welded washing machine stand to
raise and prelevel a machine in a location where it could not easily be
leveled and the floor would catch and bend the feet if preleveled. The
other project was a simple rack for firewood to get it off the ground
and annoy the termites. I thought that was an exception. If that
bandsaw hadn't been busy I'd have used it.

Last week my little 4x6 band saw went tits up. When I opened the gear
box I found the brass worm gear (the steel screw was fine) had turned to
chowder and the oil in the gear box looked like a gold metal flake paint
that belonged on a 1980s low rider. Well after a lot of soul searching,
personal cheapness, and a few wasted days I over nighted a gear from
Grizzly that all the hobbyists said would fit my saw.

In the mean time mills were sitting idle and I had 4140 to cut for the
current project, so I added some arms to my roller table and threw my
old abrasive saw up there. It chopped several blanks and kept the
machines going until the new gear arrived.

Next decent size job that pays I plan to order a little heavier 7x12
bandsaw and just keep the 4x6 as a backup. I've started to put the
abrasive saw away and stopped about three times now. Not only did it
keep me going (at the cost of several blades), but I also found myself
using mini cutoff blades in one of the 4.5 inch angle grinders to do
other work I ordinarily would have done with the bandsaw in the upright
position.

Using the abrasive 14" saw and the 4.5 inch angle grinder is messy,
gritty, smelly, nasty work. I felt like I had sand down my neck for
days. Other than for sanding and grinding (with the grinder) is the
abrasive saw ever the best solution for the job if you have other tools?
Obviously if its all you have that's working then you have to run what
you brung.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 13:10:02 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
Using the abrasive 14" saw and the 4.5 inch angle grinder is messy,
gritty, smelly, nasty work. I felt like I had sand down my neck for
days. Other than for sanding and grinding (with the grinder) is the
abrasive saw ever the best solution for the job if you have other tools?
Obviously if its all you have that's working then you have to run what
you brung.

I use them on harden stuff, won't fit on band, can't get to band... and
agreed, they're nasty to run...

Remember that HF has that new Baur Portable Deep Band for $99 with
coupon. It was getting okay reviews the last I checked. And a lot of
guys like the Evolution semi-cold cut saws too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A "cold-cut" saw is cleaner and less messy than an abrasive saw - but
otherwize similar. More accurate.
Faster than a band saw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/07/2018 01:10 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I use mine occasionally.Â* I used it a few weeks ago to break down some
steel square tube for a couple projects.Â* In that case I had the little
band saw pretty busy breaking down solid bar stock, the mills were all
running, and I didn't want to stand around.Â* I used the abrasive saw to
break down and cut all the pieces for a welded washing machine stand to
raise and prelevel a machine in a location where it could not easily be
leveled and the floor would catch and bend the feet if preleveled.Â* The
other project was a simple rack for firewood to get it off the ground
and annoy the termites.Â* I thought that was an exception.Â* If that
bandsaw hadn't been busy I'd have used it.

Â*Obviously if its all you have that's working then you have to run what
you brung.

My chop saw is way more portable than the band saw, so it sees
occasional field use. Also use if for hard material or mystery metal.

It is noisy, less precise than a bandsaw and has a bigger, messier kerf
than the bandsaw, but it has it's uses.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 13:10:02 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
Last week my little 4x6 band saw went tits up. When I opened the gear
box I found the brass worm gear (the steel screw was fine) had turned to
chowder and the oil in the gear box looked like a gold metal flake paint
that belonged on a 1980s low rider.

I thought somebody else would jump on this but guess not...

I don't know for how long it went on but that gearbox was noted to
have casting sand in it as delivered from HF. Which may still be the
case. It was recommended to open it up, drain the oil and flush it out.
Several old posters here encountered this...

My Dad bought one many years ago. He took the original motor off and
replaced it with an old washing machine motor. The original motor ran
really HOT. I doubt he ever looked in the gearbox though. It cut a LOT
of material for him and it still works okay. I'm guessing it was
purchased in the mid 80's. An old poster here hmm... Grant, that was
him had some nice tips for tweaking them. Looks like his info is still
available via the wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080205.../4x6bsFAQ.html

I see the mention of sand in his tips. Might have been where I
heard of it. There's a whole bunch of info out there nowadays. Found
oodles looking for Grant's old stuff...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/02/18 20:10, Bob La Londe wrote:
I use mine occasionally.Â* I used it a few weeks ago to break down some
steel square tube for a couple projects.Â* In that case I had the
little band saw pretty busy breaking down solid bar stock, the mills
were all running, and I didn't want to stand around.Â* I used the
abrasive saw to break down and cut all the pieces for a welded washing
machine stand to raise and prelevel a machine in a location where it
could not easily be leveled and the floor would catch and bend the
feet if preleveled.Â* The other project was a simple rack for firewood
to get it off the ground and annoy the termites.Â* I thought that was
an exception.Â* If that bandsaw hadn't been busy I'd have used it.

Last week my little 4x6 band saw went tits up.Â* When I opened the gear
box I found the brass worm gear (the steel screw was fine) had turned
to chowder and the oil in the gear box looked like a gold metal flake
paint that belonged on a 1980s low rider.Â* Well after a lot of soul
searching, personal cheapness, and a few wasted days I over nighted a
gear from Grizzly that all the hobbyists said would fit my saw.

In the mean time mills were sitting idle and I had 4140 to cut for the
current project, so I added some arms to my roller table and threw my
old abrasive saw up there.Â* It chopped several blanks and kept the
machines going until the new gear arrived.

Next decent size job that pays I plan to order a little heavier 7x12
bandsaw and just keep the 4x6 as a backup.Â* I've started to put the
abrasive saw away and stopped about three times now.Â* Not only did it
keep me going (at the cost of several blades), but I also found myself
using mini cutoff blades in one of the 4.5 inch angle grinders to do
other work I ordinarily would have done with the bandsaw in the
upright position.

Using the abrasive 14" saw and the 4.5 inch angle grinder is messy,
gritty, smelly, nasty work. I felt like I had sand down my neck for
days.Â* Other than for sanding and grinding (with the grinder) is the
abrasive saw ever the best solution for the job if you have other
tools? Â*Obviously if its all you have that's working then you have to
run what you brung.

I had that happen to my 4 x 6 as well but after about 7 years of regular
use it didn't seem bad and the supplier had new parts in stock at a good
price including delivery. The old worm had worn to a razor edge and
chewed the wheel so the new worn got any shape edges taken off on a
linisher. When I got the saw new the worm and wheel were badly meshed
and most of the power was used in turning them. I replaced the worm
bearings at the time and found the ball races to have bores about 0.005"
over size so they got replaced with decent bearings. The oil was
replaced and a magnet added to catch any steel debris. Now about 20
years on the blade guide bearings need replacing, I can't complain about
that though after all the cutting it has done over the years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I used an abrasive saw =once= inside the shop and won't do it again.
I'll cut a stick to length in the yard with abrasives, then use more
civilized cutters in the shop.

Obviously if its all you have that's working then you have to run what
you brung.

I now have a great fondness for my hacksaw frame since I found just
how well =real= blades work. I bought a pair of Starretts a decade
ago and put one in each hacksaw frame. Both are still sharp as ever.
I buy boxes of 100 bolts in longer styles and cut them to size rather
than stocking boxes of each by 1/16". 4 strokes with a hacksaw and a
twirl on the 1" band sander makes them just right.

Most often, I use the HF portable bandsaw for cutting, and one of my
top projects RSN will be to make a H+V stand for it. It's not a 4x6,
but it will fake it pretty well. It, too, has a decent Milwaukee
bimetal blade on it. What do you guys think about MMO for lube on a
bandsaw? I do mostly steel tube or square stock cutting.

Great post, Bob. It's interesting to "see" how other shops are set up
and run.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/8/2018 2:59 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 13:10:02 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
[...]

Â* And there is a 4x6 band saw group on yahoo ... with tons of info ,
including how to find and install a replacement for that stripped gear .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Â* I run bi-metal blades on both my 4x6 and my portaband and never use
any kind of lube . You just can't load these little saws enough -
assuming blade speed and tooth pitch are correct for what you're cutting
- to really need it .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:03:00 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 2/8/2018 4:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
What do you guys think about MMO for lube on a
bandsaw? I do mostly steel tube or square stock cutting.

* I run bi-metal blades on both my 4x6 and my portaband and never use
any kind of lube . You just can't load these little saws enough -
assuming blade speed and tooth pitch are correct for what you're cutting
- to really need it .

I tend to use a drop or two when starting to cut with it. As to blade
speed and tooth pitch, yeah, I'm sure that occasionally one or the
other makes it within some tolerance for "correct". Maybe even both
on rare occasion. The variable speed function does allow for that,
though, so I at least try. 18tpi all. shrug

Thanks, Terry.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just replaced my filter. I use a hydrollic oil filter to filter the
chips out of the coolant.
The metal filter screws into the holder that is in-line with the
coolant. Hangs off the
tray. Inside is the filter and it works. I used to go through blades
and once I put
on this filter and keep fluid flowing the blade won't die. It cuts
nicely. I have some
Nice blades I want to swap in but the old carbon blade keeps up with
steel. Even Stainless.
One day I'll have to change it but not soon. I might just for fun.
Hang the other on the wall.

Wow - sorry about the gear. I'll have to check mine. Bunch of junk if
dead for ever.
Oh- I replaced it because the can rusted after 12 years. Filter was
heavy with steel.
Time to go anyway.

Martin

On 2/8/2018 3:39 PM, David Billington wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/7/2018 3:10 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I use mine occasionally.Â* I used it a few weeks ago to break down some
steel square tube for a couple projects.Â* In that case I had the little
band saw pretty busy breaking down solid bar stock, the mills were all
running, and I didn't want to stand around.Â* I used the abrasive saw to
break down and cut all the pieces for a welded washing machine stand to
raise and prelevel a machine in a location where it could not easily be
leveled and the floor would catch and bend the feet if preleveled.Â* The
other project was a simple rack for firewood to get it off the ground
and annoy the termites.Â* I thought that was an exception.Â* If that
bandsaw hadn't been busy I'd have used it.

What was the device used in Asimov's "Foundation"? It would cut steel
by separating the molecules. I always wanted one of those ...along
with my flying car!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since I fixed my large power hacksaw, not much anymore. The noise and spray of metal powder are too unpleasant and the hacksaw blades last longer.

Chris