Old January 11th 18, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Belt Sander/Grinder

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:37:12 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 1/10/2018 2:45 AM, wrote:
I personally don't have a belt grinder, but I'm considering getting

one. By luck, I was recently going through the Grizzly Industrial
Catalog and saw their belt grinder that appears to be worth trying. Then
I googled and found a review on it along with other grinders -
https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ .

Has anyone on here used the Grizzly? If so, could you describe the

quality?

I don't have their grinder, but I do have 3 Griz WW machines and love
them. Finish is good, fit can be iffy, but if you have a file and
reamer as you put it together, they're fine machines for a lower
price. Griz (China and Taiwan origins) does a much better QC job than
HFT does.

Thanks!

The little baby 1x30 Grizzly they show in that review is probably better
quality than a similar Harbor Freight model (which I happen to own and
use daily for deburring steel) but its not in the same class as the 2x72
machines. Its really not even in the same school.

I use my 1x30 Delta for deburring most often, too.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand

Old January 11th 18, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:45:32 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Make sure you can buy 30 inch belts from more than just them.
Sure customs. Better if off the shelf. Klingspor is a very high
quality belt and sand paper company. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/

Martin

On 1/10/2018 3:45 AM, wrote:
I personally don't have a belt grinder, but I'm considering getting one. By luck, I was recently going through the Grizzly Industrial Catalog and saw their belt grinder that appears to be worth trying. Then I googled and found a review on it along with other grinders -
https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ .

Has anyone on here used the Grizzly? If so, could you describe the quality?

Thanks!

www.barbkat.com

---

Old January 12th 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 1/10/2018 2:45 AM, wrote:
I personally don't have a belt grinder, but I'm considering getting

one. By luck, I was recently going through the Grizzly Industrial
Catalog and saw their belt grinder that appears to be worth trying. Then
I googled and found a review on it along with other grinders -
https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ .

Has anyone on here used the Grizzly? If so, could you describe the

quality?

I don't have their grinder, but I do have 3 Griz WW machines and love
them. Finish is good, fit can be iffy, but if you have a file and
reamer as you put it together, they're fine machines for a lower
price. Griz (China and Taiwan origins) does a much better QC job than
HFT does.

I would have agreed once upon a time, but my recent experience with
both has changed my opinion.

I've purchased 11 Grizzly self centering vises
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Prec...ing-Vise/H7576
over the past 5 years. I make various adjustable v-rests for a
customer by replacing the stock jaws with with purpose-made jaws. At
about $150 each, the vises in the first batch I purchased were
remarkably nice quality. The vises in each subsequent order have
declined in quality as the price has increased. The last two batches
were completely unusable as delivered.

I complained once and was offered an exchange. Having already reworked
the vises, I declined, explaining that I'd rather have some assurance
that Grizzly would try to make sure the next batch was better. But the
most recent 2 vises were the worst to date. After fixing them, and
recieving a request to submit a review, I wrote what I thought was an
objective review -- no rant, just my opinion supported by numbers. The
review didn't show up on the vises' page. I inquired about this, and
after wasting my time responding to requests to resubmit the review,
etc., I received the following,

"We are happy to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to
re-submit your review. We appreciate all your comments however, there
is no guarantee how long it can take to be reviewed. We feel customer
input is a valuable source of information as we continually strive to
improve the quality of our equipment and service. Please note that
your review has been forwarded to the proper personnel. Once it has
been reviewed, we may choose to post it online. Once again, we value
your opinion and thank you for your time."

If you compare the reviews on Grizzly's web site to the recent
comments on their Facebook page it's pretty clear what's going on.

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

--
Ned Simmons
Old January 12th 18, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 20:47:56 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

HF is all over the board, from utter crap to incredible bargains.
Looking for my post about HF die grinders from a few years ago... To
change the subject am I the first mention Tee-Nut today? Barely knew
him as I was just a lurking newbie back when he was active but seems
sad to not have a thread in his memory today.
--
William
Old January 12th 18, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

HF is all over the board, from utter crap to incredible bargains.
Looking for my post about HF die grinders from a few years ago.

Ah, 2013.

"Worked in a plastics factory for six years. Dozens and dozens of
the $10 to $15 Harbor Freight die grinders. (Owner was a bit
cheap...) While some broke while new, amazingly many of them ran for
*years* on wet nasty unfiltered air with only occasional oiling.

What they all lacked was the power to take a heavy cut. The lone
Sioux in the plant was passed around constantly for heavy cuts and
it too survived on unfiltered compressed air. Sioux makes good
stuff! Wish I could afford to buy a dozen:-("
--
William

Old January 12th 18, 07:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

HF is all over the board, from utter crap to incredible bargains.
Looking for my post about HF die grinders from a few years ago... To
change the subject am I the first mention Tee-Nut today? Barely knew
him as I was just a lurking newbie back when he was active but seems
sad to not have a thread in his memory today.

Index Home About Blog

From: Robert Bastow "teenut"@ hotmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: New Magnum "Mauser" Actions
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 03:39:07 GMT

I think you have got right off the point Greg..Which is that the
Smellie, as it
has been AFFECTIONATELY called by several generations of British and
Commonwealth soldiers as well as shooters, (From SMLE..Short Magazine
Lee
Enfield..get it?) is argued by many with greater expertise than me, to
be the
finest bolt action BATTLE RIFLE ever put into the hands of troops.

No one disputes the superiority and strength of the Mauser as a
SPORTING rifle.
It is a classic of design..but like so many other German weapons..the
Luger for
instance..it is just too finely fitted for use in the grit and mud of
battlefield.

Yes the Smellie is ugly..beyond ugly..but it handles and points like a
best
grade shotgun. Its short stroke, slick action, allows an expert to
fire 30
AIMED rounds a minute. Its misbegotten handle was designed for
bayonet fighting
and its two piece butt makes a wonderfully tough trench club...try
that with a
Mauser 98 and you have a long barrelled, mud choked pistol!!

Pretty it isn't, accurate and reliable it is..like a Timex they took a
licking
and kept on ticking..some of them for almost fifty years in front line
service.

(Cheap shot about my "alleged" plans to build Mauser replicas will be
ignored
for now..I just plunked down several hundred thousand dollars to by
the means
and today spent another couple or more hundreds on applications for a
BATF "Non
Destructive Devices" Manufacturing Licence, an FFL and a PCP..They
actually LIKE
the idea of me carrying a concealed personal defense weapon when I
might be
working late hours in an "Arms Factory"!!!!)

As for accuracy...How come the Queens Prize at Bisley..which is open
to all
comers with a current military issue rifle, was never won by a Mauser
or a
Springfield?? What would have happened if the National Match had been
opened up
to "Smellies"

Trust me, in the 600 to 1200 yard ranges they STILL take a hell of a
lot of
beating!

Respectfully
teenut

Bray Haven wrote:

T. Nut says,
You are entitled to your opinion..humble or not Greg. But you are wrong..and
that makes you appear not just misinformed, but silly too!

I suggest you go do some serious research before opening up half cocked
again.!

Whatever you say, Tee. Try to be more specific though. What did I say that was
wrong? I guess the master gunsmiths of the world are wrong. I've been a
gunsmith for over 40 years. Have shot competitively for 30 some odd. Been a
weapons instructor. Been an infantry officer in combat and hunted big game on
several continents. Was an outdoor writer and editor for many years, on and on
etc. but you're (alledgedly) going to build mauser actions and that makes you
an authority on the design of bolt action rifles. I thought you were building
mausers. Why not build up sized SMELLIES if they are so damn good? I've
worked with many great gunmakers who build the truly fine custom guns made in
the US today and they ALL share my opinion. Your credentials to call me
uninformed and silly are somewhat reversing the insult. Why is my opinion
"wrong" and yours "right"? I think you are just still mad at me for saying
unkind things about public smoking ). As the legendary philosopher, Josh
Billings once said, "it aint ignorance so much as folks knowing a lot that just
ain't so" OWTE.

Greg Sefton

From: Robert Bastow "teenut"@ hotmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:00:49 GMT

The Mauser is indeed artistry in design..But if I had to go to WAR
with a bolt
action rifle, I would pick the Lee Enfield every time...It proved to
be far more
suitable for rapid fire and simply shrugged off the mud of the
trenches that
bought mausers and springfields to a grinding standstill.

Horses for courses!

teenut

foxeye wrote:
The Mauser was a piece of work before its time, and still
remains so. Pity the americans had nothing in their arsenal at the
time that was even equal to it, and the Brits never came close.

From: Robert Bastow "teenut"@ hotmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:17:04 GMT

James Paris Lee...Invented the generally accepted best Bolt actioned
BATTLE
RIFLE.

Cock on opening was specifically chosen by the British in both the Lee
Enfield
and the P13 (P14 and US model 1917)

This was because the absolute first requirement of a battle rifle is
reliability...and that includest the feeding and EXTRACTION of the
fired
case..This becomes progressively more difficult with dirty, low
quality war time
ammo and especially so during rapid fire. The cock on closing
concentrates ALL
the effort of lifting the bolt handle into primary extraction.

BTW the Enfield Model 1917 equipped the MAJORITY of US Doughboys
during the
First world War, Sgt Alvin York carried one, plus a Colt Model 1911
during his
famous exploit (NOT an 03 Springfield and a captured Luger as
portrayed in the
movie!!)

The Us Army found the Enfield FASTER and MORE accurate than the
Springfield and
pressed for its adoption in place of the Springfield after the war.
Only the
Political incorrectness of adopting a foreign design kept the
Springfield in
production.

teenut

Gary Coffman wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:02:29 +0000, Lou Boyd wrote:
JMartin957 wrote:

Mauser, Browning, and Kalashnikov are considered the premiere small
arms designers of the 19th/20th century. They designed or strongly
influenced the design of the small arms used by most of the world's
armies throughout most of the 20th century.

Don't think too many would object if you added John Garand to that list...

Or Eugene Stoner.

Both gentlemen produced good small arms designs that were adopted for
US service, but they didn't produce the wide range of designs, or have the
large influence on other designers all over the world, that the gentlemen I
listed did. They deserve to be on the list, but there are others I would list
ahead of them.

---

Old January 12th 18, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 1/10/2018 2:45 AM, wrote:
[...]

That's a bummer to hear.

[...]

Oh, that's disgusting. I wonder if the same malady which is hitting
HF has hit Grizzly, too. HF's heir took over and is ransacking the
estate and screwing with the company something fierce. And it could
be their source factory who is failing them, too. I've read that some
of the Chinese factories are outsourcing to Thailand and Vietnam due
to lower wages. Ironic, non?

If you compare the reviews on Grizzly's web site to the recent
comments on their Facebook page it's pretty clear what's going on.

I'll have to check that out. When I confirm it, I'll send them a
nastygram.

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

Ayup, but half of those are written by inbred yahoos who may have
forgotten to plug it into the outlet or tighten the blade holder.
Reading between the lines on both good and bad reviews is essential on
most websites. Some sites show how long the person has owned the new
tool, which gives much more relevance to the review.

Old January 12th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

HF is all over the board, from utter crap to incredible bargains.
Looking for my post about HF die grinders from a few years ago... To
change the subject am I the first mention Tee-Nut today? Barely knew
him as I was just a lurking newbie back when he was active but seems
sad to not have a thread in his memory today.

Jayzuss, T-nut is as bad as Elvis: He keeps popping up everywhere.

Since 1976, I have bought a majority of the items HF has put out, with
the exception of the high-dollar machinery. I think I've only returned
15-20 items in that 41 years, and passed up maybe 100 after seeing the
lack of quality in person at the stores. The low price and decent
quality of most things has allowed me to buy a lot more tools there
than if I'd bought US name brands, so I'm a happy shopper. Seeing that
most tools aren't made in the US today, I'm happy to let a US company
make their profit on me.

-

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 12th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

HF is all over the board, from utter crap to incredible bargains.
Looking for my post about HF die grinders from a few years ago.

Ah, 2013.

"Worked in a plastics factory for six years. Dozens and dozens of
the $10 to $15 Harbor Freight die grinders. (Owner was a bit
cheap...) While some broke while new, amazingly many of them ran for
*years* on wet nasty unfiltered air with only occasional oiling.

What they all lacked was the power to take a heavy cut. The lone
Sioux in the plant was passed around constantly for heavy cuts and
it too survived on unfiltered compressed air. Sioux makes good
stuff! Wish I could afford to buy a dozen:-("

Why couldn't you get the owner to pony up the $28 it cost for a FRL
unit after a few of the tools died? Air would then have been
filtered, dried, and oiled.

-

Old January 13th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 1/10/2018 2:45 AM, wrote:
[...]

These vises seem to come from India, or maybe Pakistan, based on the
type on the slips of newsprint used to shim the jaws.

If you compare the reviews on Grizzly's web site to the recent
comments on their Facebook page it's pretty clear what's going on.

I'll have to check that out. When I confirm it, I'll send them a
nastygram.

I'd be curious to hear what you find. After my suspicions were
aroused, and I looked around Grizzly's website, I had trouble finding
negative reviews. What really galled me was that they solicited my
review, then refused to post it.

At least HF lets you read about all the warts on their stuff before
you buy.

Ayup, but half of those are written by inbred yahoos who may have
forgotten to plug it into the outlet or tighten the blade holder.
Reading between the lines on both good and bad reviews is essential on
most websites. Some sites show how long the person has owned the new
tool, which gives much more relevance to the review.

Add to that the fact that a ****ed off customer is more motivated to
write a review and the dearth of negative reviews on Grizzly.com is
all the more suspect.

--
Ned Simmons