DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Strength between c-channel and square tubing (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/602377-strength-between-c-channel-square-tubing.html)

Wasantha December 26th 17 08:18 PM

Strength between c-channel and square tubing

I would like to know for a machine frame(textile dryer) which channel is more
suitable for carrying load.
1.6" U-Channel
2.4" Square Tubing

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ng-643557-.htm

Jim Wilkins[_2_] December 26th 17 09:05 PM

Strength between c-channel and square tubing

"Wasantha" wrote
in message ...

http://www.unistrut.us/DB/PDF_Archive/No_12.pdf

Bob Engelhardt December 26th 17 09:45 PM

On 12/26/2017 3:18 PM, Wasantha wrote:
I would like to know for a machine frame(textile dryer) which channel
is more
suitable for carrying load.
1.6" U-Channel
2.4" Square Tubing

Is this for an industrial or commercial setting? If so, you should not
be the one making the decision. It is such a naive question that it
shows that you are nowhere near qualified enough. No offense, I hope -
just trying to keep you out of trouble.

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 26th 17 11:38 PM

Strength between c-channel and square tubing

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:45:16 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 12/26/2017 3:18 PM, Wasantha wrote:
I would like to know for a machine frame(textile dryer) which channel
is more
suitable for carrying load.
1.6" U-Channel
2.4" Square Tubing

Is this for an industrial or commercial setting? If so, you should not
be the one making the decision. It is such a naive question that it
shows that you are nowhere near qualified enough. No offense, I hope -
just trying to keep you out of trouble.

(ring, ring)
(click) Joe's Auto Body, Joe here.
(cough) Um, how much will it cost to fix my fender?

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we

--Veterans of Foreign Wars

Clare Snyder December 27th 17 02:10 PM

Strength between c-channel and square tubing

wrote:

On 12/26/2017 3:18 PM, Wasantha wrote:
I would like to know for a machine frame(textile dryer) which channel
is more
suitable for carrying load.
1.6" U-Channel
2.4" Square Tubing

Is this for an industrial or commercial setting? If so, you should not
be the one making the decision. It is such a naive question that it
shows that you are nowhere near qualified enough. No offense, I hope -
just trying to keep you out of trouble.

True enough.

---

Vertical or horizontal installation? formed channel or extruded?
aluminum or steel? what alloy? what kind of load? static or cyclic?
What thickness?

All elase being equal I would say 2.4 inch tubing, but seldome in
these kinds of questions is "all else equal", or the question would
not need to be even considered, much less asked, as the answer is SO
obvious.

Ed Huntress December 27th 17 03:01 PM

Strength between c-channel and square tubing

wrote:

[...]

2.4" tubing is going to be a LOT sronger than 1.6" U-channel, in
bending, in torsion, in compression and in tension.

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] December 27th 17 03:02 PM

wrote:

[...]

The strength and stiffness of steel is beyond most peoples' experience
so they have no basis to estimate it.

Ignoramus12494 December 28th 17 02:18 AM

Strength between c-channel and square tubing

"If your car is on fire, do not pull into service station"

whit3rd December 29th 17 07:58 AM

On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 12:18:06 PM UTC-8, Wasantha wrote:
I would like to know for a machine frame(textile dryer) which channel is more
suitable for carrying load.
1.6" U-Channel
2.4" Square Tubing

Devoid of any idea what 'load' is intended, what joint construction and bracing
methods, what material, and what environment, I'd say they
are both more suitable. So is bamboo, concrete, and titanium
forgings.

Celery stalks, however, suffer structurally in the "dryer" environment.

Gunner Asch[_6_] December 29th 17 02:02 PM

Strength between c-channel and square tubing

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 23:58:19 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 12:18:06 PM UTC-8, Wasantha wrote:
I would like to know for a machine frame(textile dryer) which channel is more
suitable for carrying load.
1.6" U-Channel
2.4" Square Tubing

Devoid of any idea what 'load' is intended, what joint construction and bracing
methods, what material, and what environment, I'd say they
are both more suitable. So is bamboo, concrete, and titanium
forgings.

Celery stalks, however, suffer structurally in the "dryer" environment.

Well...there is always Unobtainium. Just saying......shrug

---