Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Soldier's Version of "T'was the Night before Christmas":

For My Brothers and Sisters who Served in the Armed Forces I'm Posting a
Soldier's Version of "T'was the Night before Christmas":

A Soldier's Christmas
Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone, In a one bedroom
house made of plaster & stone. I had come down the chimney with presents
to give And to see just who in this home did live.
I looked all about a strange sight I did see, No tinsel, no presents,
not even a tree. No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.
With medals and badges, awards of all kind A sober thought came through
my mind. For this house was different, so dark and dreary, I knew I had
found the home of a soldier, once I could see clearly.
I heard stories about them, I had to see more So I walked down the hall
and pushed open the door. And there he lay sleeping silent alone, Curled
up on the floor in his one bedroom home.
His face so gentle, his room in such disorder, Not how I pictured a
United States Soldier Was this the hero of whom Id just read? Curled up
in his poncho, a floor for his bed?
His head was clean shaven, his weathered face tan, I soon understood
this was more than a man. For I realized the families that I saw that
night Owed their lives to these men who were willing to fight.
Soon round the world, the children would play, And grownups would
celebrate on a bright Christmas day. They all enjoyed freedom each month
of the year, Because of Soldiers like this one lying here.
I couldnt help wonder how many lay alone On a cold Christmas Eve in a
land far from home. Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye, I
dropped to my knees and started to cry.
The Soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice, Santa dont cry, this
life is my choice; I fight for freedom, I dont ask for more, my life is
my God, my country, my Corps.
With that he rolled over and drifted off into sleep, I couldnt control
it, I continued to weep. I watched him for hours, so silent and still, I
noticed he shivered from the cold nights chill.
So I took off my jacket, the one made of red, And I covered this Soldier
from his toes to his head. And I put on his T-shirt of gray and black,
With an eagle and an Army patch embroidered on back.
And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride, And for a
shining moment, I was United States Army deep inside. I didnt want to
leave him on that cold dark night, This guardian of honor so willing to
fight.
Then the Soldier rolled over, whispered with a voice so clean and pure,
Carry on Santa, its Christmas Day, all is secure. One look at my
watch, and I knew he was right, Merry Christmas my friend, and to all a
good night!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/23/2017 7:54 PM, Michael A Terrell wrote:
For My Brothers and Sisters who Served in the Armed Forces

No one "serves" in the armed forces (not "Armed Forces" - not a proper
name.) It's a job. It's not "service" any more than operating a lathe
or maintaining a computer network or being a short order cook is
"service." It's a job - nothing more.

A Soldier's Christmas
[snip doggerel]

Bleagghhh.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 22:54:15 -0500, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

[...]

Wonderful, but a real Marine would have had Santa spreadeagle on the
floor with a knife at his throat before he'd gotten ten feet into the
living room. Then released, of course. (This from an Air Force brat)
Mele Kalikimaka, brah.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we

--Veterans of Foreign Wars