Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tailstock DRO ???

Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the markings
on the crank?

Have you implemented a poor man's DRO with a caliper mounted to the
stock and barrel?

Is there something better?

Thinking about a trip to HF for a cheap digital. I'm making some
stainless steel pen bodies, and drilling depth is modestly important.
Since I plan to make several of them for both Space Pen (tm) refills,and
for my own carbide scribe "refills" I'd like to be able to drill to
depth quickly and fairly repeatably.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 12:42:43 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the markings
on the crank?

Have you implemented a poor man's DRO with a caliper mounted to the
stock and barrel?

Is there something better?

Thinking about a trip to HF for a cheap digital. I'm making some
stainless steel pen bodies, and drilling depth is modestly important.
Since I plan to make several of them for both Space Pen (tm) refills,and
for my own carbide scribe "refills" I'd like to be able to drill to
depth quickly and fairly repeatably.

The graduations on my tailstock dial are accurate, I don't need a
digital readout to hold .001". But I do need to set the quill lock so
that it drags a little to get good accuracy. Digital readouts are much
harder for me to follow than analog. That's why I have a Trav-A-Dial
mounted to the Z axis of one lathe and am getting ready to mount
another on another lathe. They are expensive new and even used on
eBay, kind of a pain to set up, but well worth it for me, especially
for long cuts.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the
markings on the crank?

Have you implemented a poor man's DRO with a caliper mounted to the
stock and barrel?

Is there something better?

Thinking about a trip to HF for a cheap digital. I'm making some
stainless steel pen bodies, and drilling depth is modestly
important. Since I plan to make several of them for both Space Pen
(tm) refills,and for my own carbide scribe "refills" I'd like to be
able to drill to depth quickly and fairly repeatably.

http://www.shars.com/products/measur...-machine-scale

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/19/2017 1:38 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the
markings on the crank?

Have you implemented a poor man's DRO with a caliper mounted to the
stock and barrel?

Is there something better?

Thinking about a trip to HF for a cheap digital. I'm making some
stainless steel pen bodies, and drilling depth is modestly
important. Since I plan to make several of them for both Space Pen
(tm) refills,and for my own carbide scribe "refills" I'd like to be
able to drill to depth quickly and fairly repeatably.

http://www.shars.com/products/measur...-machine-scale

Nice looking setup, at only 4" it might be a little tight for my bigger
lathe. Would be just fine on my smaller ones since they only have a
little over 2 inches of travel. Could be an issue with ejecting tools
on those though. I know. I know. I should make a kick stub for tools I
use in those machines.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A mount for a dial indicator C clamped to the tailstock has worked well
on a 9 by 20 chinese lathe. One with 2 inches of travel serves well on the
cross slide, too. Harbor Freight devices I think.

Hul

Bob La Londe wrote:
Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the markings
on the crank?

Have you implemented a poor man's DRO with a caliper mounted to the
stock and barrel?

Is there something better?

Thinking about a trip to HF for a cheap digital. I'm making some
stainless steel pen bodies, and drilling depth is modestly important.
Since I plan to make several of them for both Space Pen (tm) refills,and
for my own carbide scribe "refills" I'd like to be able to drill to
depth quickly and fairly repeatably.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I piled up MIG weld to extend the ends of Morse tapers too short to
contact the tailstock feed screw.

Those readouts come in other lengths, and from other suppliers.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
Do you get by with the graduated markings on the barrel and the markings
on the crank?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-7-Piece...AOSwUMxaOAN X

Best Regards
Tom.