Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nibbler Table

Alright. Why isn't this a commercial product? Maybe it is and I just
didn't see it.

Usually you see guys on YouTube video justifying the value of their
Harbor Freight (or other brand of nibbler) by cutting sheets held
floppily in the air or off the floor. That seemed to me that unless you
are particularly well coordinated or had a lot of practice to be a
"rough" operation. Now I'm pretty good with a table. I can do carving
with one if I have to. I think that's partly because I can have two
hands on the work piece if need be, but also because the work is fully
supported. Why not with a nibbler?

Ideally the punching action should be reverse for a table mounted unit,
but if its made height adjustable I see no reason it wouldn't work with
the current range of power nibblers on the market.

I'm going to make one. Small 8x12 table for now. Probably with a heavy
angle on one edge to mount in a vise, but if it works out well I have
considered making a table as a leaf attachment for my table saw to
support even large stock. (Warning! Wood working content.) I already
have a leaf extension for my one of my routers that works out better
than a small router table or even a small shaper table.

The only other thing I can think of to make it easier to use and
manipulate would be a foot valve for air or a foot switch for electric.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2017 11:01 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Alright.Â* Why isn't this a commercial product?Â* Maybe it is and I just
didn't see it.

Usually you see guys on YouTube video justifying the value of their
Harbor Freight (or other brand of nibbler) by cutting sheets held
floppily in the air or off the floor.Â* That seemed to me that unless you
are particularly well coordinated or had a lot of practice to be a
"rough" operation.Â* Now I'm pretty good with a table.Â* I can do carving
with one if I have to.Â* I think that's partly because I can have two
hands on the work piece if need be, but also because the work is fully
supported.Â* Why not with a nibbler?

Ideally the punching action should be reverse for a table mounted unit,
but if its made height adjustable I see no reason it wouldn't work with
the current range of power nibblers on the market.

I'm going to make one.Â* Small 8x12 table for now.Â* Probably with a heavy
angle on one edge to mount in a vise, but if it works out well I have
considered making a table as a leaf attachment for my table saw to
support even large stock.Â* (Warning!Â* Wood working content.)Â* I already
have a leaf extension for my one of my routers that works out better
than a small router table or even a small shaper table.

The only other thing I can think of to make it easier to use and
manipulate would be a foot valve for air or a foot switch for electric.

I would note that this is not an original idea. I have seen atleast one
home made nibbler table on YouTube. I thought of it, but I was
definitely not the first to do so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:01:44 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

There are nibbler clamps, which you can use to clamp a nibbler to a
table, and several home made nibbler tables online.

But there is a serious commercial tool that does the same job, on a
somewhat larger scale, and it's been around for, oh, probably a
century. It's called a punch press. d8-)

There also are very small window-and-door punching machines for
aluminum window contractors.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:01:44 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

Alright. Why isn't this a commercial product? Maybe it is and I just
didn't see it.

Don't forget the Rockwell Blade Runner saw. With the proper blade it
should be able to tackle most anything nibblers would do...

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-Blad...dp/B00L47FZ8A/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 2017, Leon Fisk wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:01:44 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

Alright. Why isn't this a commercial product? Maybe it is and I just
didn't see it.

Don't forget the Rockwell Blade Runner saw. With the proper blade it
should be able to tackle most anything nibblers would do...

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-Blad...cessories/dp/B
00L47FZ8A/

Look at the Amazon reviews, starting at one star. This is not a good
replacement for any real tool.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Would you prefer to cut plywood curves freehand with a saber saw or a
bandsaw, assuming equal cutting speed?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2017 4:42 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I'd prefer to do it on a CNC router, but I get your point. A 4x8 or a
5x10 is on my wish list.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 15:04:59 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

On Dec 3, 2017, Leon Fisk wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:01:44 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

Alright. Why isn't this a commercial product? Maybe it is and I just
didn't see it.

Don't forget the Rockwell Blade Runner saw. With the proper blade it
should be able to tackle most anything nibblers would do...

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-Blad...cessories/dp/B
00L47FZ8A/

Look at the Amazon reviews, starting at one star. This is not a good
replacement for any real tool.

Looks like a jigsaw cum scrollsaw, heavily made out of flimsy plastic.
Pass.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

???

You have never seen a CNC nibbler? Trumphf and many other makers put
them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMXVgFbO9aw

Lasers are rapidly taking over most nibbler duties in manufacturing
today...they are much quicker, are becoming widespread.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 15:15:05 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-Blad...dp/B00L47FZ8A/

Hell...die filers can be fitted with a simple sabre saw blade and used
like that.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...filer&_sacat=0

---

Klein Nibbler, Model 76011B Donwill[_3_] UK diy 0 January 7th 10 08:17 AM
Sheet-metal nibbler: pneumatic vs. hand-powered Matt[_7_] Home Repair 7 July 23rd 09 02:44 AM
sheet steel nibbler andrew UK diy 9 May 14th 09 04:19 PM
Can I do this with a nibbler? [email protected] Metalworking 5 December 31st 05 01:26 AM
F/S nibbler and shear William Wixon Metalworking 0 March 7th 05 03:41 AM