Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Propane tanks - 5 gallon - recomended sources?

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 12:37:40 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 11/18/2017 10:42 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Decided I need a new/second tank - standard five gallon one each.

Any comments, recommendations on where is a good source. There is
the Blue Rhino stand at Safeway, but what is consensus?
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

Â* Craigslist , local want ads , or try the local propane dealer .

..
Also garage sales especially moving sales and estate sales. I buy propane tanks at estate sales and pay some what less than the propane in the tank is worth. Welding supply places may also have tanks. And the local scrap yard also gets tanks and sells them for $.25 a lb. Best if the tank has the new type of valve.

Tanks are good without certifying for 12 years from date of manufacture.

Blue Rhino is somewhat of a rip off in that the tanks they sell are not completely full. But you can take a tank with an old valve and/or a tank out of date to BLue Rhino and exchange it for a good tank. Look through the tanks at Blue Rhino and get one that was recently manufactured. ( so you can get it refilled by someone other than Blue Rhino. When I lived in Washington State I got tanks refilled at the local farm coop store. The Coop had the cheapest price and they would recertify tanks for no charge if you were having them filled.

Dan

What I did
was find old non-OPD tanks for nothing or next to it and swap them in
for a newer one . Then refill at the local propane dealer .

Â* --

Â* Snag