Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why are 12v battery chargers to unreliable

I own a large amount of equipment, and some of it, such as my home
generator, is supported by battery maintainers.

Overall, reliability of those has been pitiful. They are sold by
"features", "microprocessors", "smart charge modes", have numerous LED
status lights, etc.

The reality is that most of them fail in a year, often in moderately
cold weather or for no reason at all. Some stop working, some display
blinking lights and do not do their job, some drain batteries when
they fail etc.

I am personally not even asking for much, just a weatherproof device
that keeps the battery mostly charged and not overcharged.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate anything useful that
could survive being out in the weather.

The one item that I had a lot of success with, is a solar battery
charger that I use on my rough terrain crane, that one seems to be a
champ and the crane is always charged. But the 110v devices are
abysmal.

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 20:56:07 -0600, Ignoramus30995
wrote:

[...]

Have you used a genuine "battery tender" ?

Have not hrard of any issues with them - a lot of friends using them
for years on their "toys" - and they won't boil batteries. Might have
to put them in an enclosure of some sort - other than possibly marine
chargers they ALL need protection, or they WILL fail.

Generalky "the dumber the better"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I own a large amount of equipment, and some of it, such as my home
generator, is supported by battery maintainers.

Overall, reliability of those has been pitiful. They are sold by
"features", "microprocessors", "smart charge modes", have numerous LED
status lights, etc.

Because far too many people want more power, quicker charging, AND
cheaper pricing. Mfgrs overload power transistors, use the cheapest
suppliers for everything, and have hacks design the circuits. Then
these same people fail to hold the manufacturers to any warranty
claims. "It was cheap and I tossed it; lesson learned." But they
didn't learn it since they let the mfgr off without any angry
feedback.

The reality is that most of them fail in a year, often in moderately
cold weather or for no reason at all. Some stop working, some display
blinking lights and do not do their job, some drain batteries when
they fail etc.

Yeah, isn't that fun?

I am personally not even asking for much, just a weatherproof device
that keeps the battery mostly charged and not overcharged.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate anything useful that
could survive being out in the weather.

Build one into a Penguin case with weatherproof leads?

The one item that I had a lot of success with, is a solar battery
charger that I use on my rough terrain crane, that one seems to be a
champ and the crane is always charged. But the 110v devices are
abysmal.

Why not stick with what works? A portable solar panel is fairly cheap
to put in the truck fulltime, then deploy it on the roof when it sits.

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
or the Poles--but emerged out of courageous, conscious acts of
will by Pilgrims and Patriots. --Michael Medved, Right Turns
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am personally not even asking for much, just a weatherproof device
that keeps the battery mostly charged and not overcharged.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate anything useful that
could survive being out in the weather.

Build one into a Penguin case with weatherproof leads?

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

Put your favourite one under an upturned mortar trough for outdoor use.

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/10/2017 09:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Have you used a genuine "battery tender" ?

Deltran Battery Tender? ? I have. Exactly the problems that ig
described. All of them. Trash.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 00:26:15 -0800, Víðópnir wrote:

On 11/10/2017 09:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Have you used a genuine "battery tender" ?

Deltran Battery Tender? ? I have. Exactly the problems that ig
described. All of them. Trash.

I've had good luck with the little 800 mA potted Deltran, 1 outside on
a rock. I have 3 in service, 1 failure in 5 years. I don't live in
snow country.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 2017, Ignoramus30995 wrote
(in ):

[...]

What you want does exist in the marine world. When boats are in storage (on a
cradle in a boatyard or back years), people often use trickle chargers to
keep the batires charged (and thus freeze-proof). These chargers are almost
always used outdoors, and are powered by 115 Vac.

Ask around your local boatyards for the best brands. And for the
avoid-at-all-costs brands.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus30995" wrote in
message ...

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I bought the Harbor Freight 99857 to install in my truck and was
satisfied that it worked as intended, although I decided to use solar
power instead so I can't tell you if it lasts outdoors.
https://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp...ner-99857.html

I personally like having voltmeters on batteries or easily connected
to them so I can tell when they need attention. Cigarette lighter
outlets and a meter like this work well.
https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-B.../dp/B000EVWDU0

Charging everything on a schedule like the start of each month reduces
the time power cords are out to trip on or damage. Old batteries need
more frequent topping off to keep them from falling into the high
resistance condition called sulfation.

They also need an ammeter to show if they aren't accepting a charge
despite apparently correct charger output voltage, which might be your
real problem. A solar panel charger forces current at whatever voltage
is necessary. The danger is their open circuit voltage 20V which
could damage electronics if the battery refuses to accept charge
current.

I solve it by increasing the charge voltage above 15V from home-made
adjustable linear regulator chargers with these meters.
https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-voltage...v+3.000A+meter

"Lab" or "bench" adjustable power supplies will work if the user knows
how.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...rial/318022011

My 2x100W Grape Solar panels arrived and are producing 140W right now,
9AM EST, equal to or slightly more than the APC1400, this laptop, its
19" external monitor and the fridge consume on average, according to
charge and discharge wattmeters. They are already at their rated MPP
current with the sun only 15 degrees up.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Ignoramus30995" wrote in
message ...

[Old batteries] also need an ammeter to show if they aren't
accepting a charge despite apparently correct charger output
voltage, which might be your real problem. A solar panel charger
forces current at whatever voltage is necessary. The danger is their
open circuit voltage 20V which could damage electronics if the
battery refuses to accept charge current.

This is the accepted reason why batteries fail:
http://www.batteryrestoration.com/im...0Failure.pd f

The symptom is increasing intenal resistance that eventually won't let
the battery accept charging current at the usual float voltage.
Increasing the voltage to 16 - 17V may force enough current in to
begin slow recovery. The charger needs to limit the current which may
otherwise rise quite high at 15V or above when the battery recovers.
Pulse reconditioners automatically apply high enough voltage at
limited current, though I'd rather watch the progress with a metered
DC supply and adjust the charging current to a few percent of the
Amp-hour rating of the battery

I've made neighbors' "dead" batteries last for several more years that
way, but they needed annoyingly frequent attention. Since I don't like
trickle charger power cords lying around I check and top them off on a
schedule.

When old batteries reach that condition the trickle charger voltage
doesn't tell you enough. I bought the HF carbon pile tester to measure
how much starting current is really available. A cheaper fixed
resistance load tester is nearly as good.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature
low quality Chinese-built crap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I had a Guest charger and it failed in a few years. This is what I am
trying to replace right now./
Have not hrard of any issues with them - a lot of friends using them
for years on their "toys" - and they won't boil batteries. Might have
to put them in an enclosure of some sort - other than possibly marine
chargers they ALL need protection, or they WILL fail.

Generalky "the dumber the better"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-11-11, V??????pnir wrote:
On 11/10/2017 09:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Have you used a genuine "battery tender" ?

Deltran Battery Tender? ? I have. Exactly the problems that ig
described. All of them. Trash.

Also "smart" chargers, "genius" chargers, etc
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This is what I will do, I will go with the Pulsetech solar charger.

By the way, Pulsetech's 110v chargers get the same kinds of
bad reviews like "failed in a year".

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've got an old Canadian Tire charger I've had for decades, as well as
a Shumaker smart charger I've had for at least 10years. It is a bit
overly picky and accuses some good batteries of having a shorted cell
when I know from there performance they definitely do not.

I also have a Sears DieHard charger given to me by a friend when he
accidently left it in the "boost" mode too long and totally fried the
ammeter. I ordered a new one from a charger repair depot for something
like $17 and now it is as good as new.

I also have an assortment of 24 and 36 volt chargers floating around.
The old ones seam to live forever, while the newer ones have a ways to
go - - - -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature
low quality Chinese-built crap.

Not quite everyone. Ig, maybe look for one of these?

http://www.usamadeproducts.biz/elect...-chargers.html

4 left in the US.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
or the Poles--but emerged out of courageous, conscious acts of
will by Pilgrims and Patriots. --Michael Medved, Right Turns
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:34:56 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

My 2x100W Grape Solar panels arrived and are producing 140W right now,
9AM EST, equal to or slightly more than the APC1400, this laptop, its
19" external monitor and the fridge consume on average, according to
charge and discharge wattmeters. They are already at their rated MPP
current with the sun only 15 degrees up.

Congrats! They sound efficient at that angle.

I bent up some replacement brackets (decided to raise the bottom 3" to
get the proper tilt, so had to lengthen the top 6 with no metal
stretcher at hand) for the solar panels yesterday and then spent far
too long removing the scale from the damned things. Now to clean and
cold-galv spray them. It's going to rain here all week, so get ready
downstream, guys.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
or the Poles--but emerged out of courageous, conscious acts of
will by Pilgrims and Patriots. --Michael Medved, Right Turns
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I lost some batteries to a Guest. Now my onboard charger is a
Minn-Kota. 10A on 3 channels. It's worked well for about 6 years
now, just replaced the start battery last year.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My 2x100W Grape Solar panels arrived and are producing 140W right
now,
9AM EST, equal to or slightly more than the APC1400, this laptop,
its
19" external monitor and the fridge consume on average, according to
charge and discharge wattmeters. They are already at their rated MPP
current with the sun only 15 degrees up.

Congrats! They sound efficient at that angle.

I'm impressed with how well they perform on a PWM controller, compared
to the maximum 32W I got from an HF "45W" kit.

I couldn't resist $1/Watt with free home delivery. Now I have more
solar panels than good places to permanently mount them. Folding
plastic sawhorses worked well enough for temporary use.

At noon the wattmeter on the controller input peaked at 180W. It
totaled 0.958 KWH from 8AM to 2PM when I stopped because the battery
voltage was climbing into the gassing range. In another 1/2 hour they
would have been shadowed by a tree anyway.

My Windy Nation P20L PWM controller allows a higher equalizing voltage
for 2 hours before limiting at 13.8V (or whatever you program) . For
wet cells it goes to 14.6V, too much for indoors.

I will retest with the battery type set to Gel which drops the 2 hour
voltage limit to 14.2V where my batteries don't gas as much. A
published threshold for concern is 14.3V. It's easy to see if they are
or aren't fizzing or bubbling but difficult to measure the rate. At
the APC1400's 13.6V default float setting there is virtually no
bubbling, but the recharging rate is too low for daily cycling.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature
low quality Chinese-built crap.

Not quite everyone. Ig, maybe look for one of these?

http://www.usamadeproducts.biz/elect...-chargers.html

4 left in the US.

Glad to see Dual Pro on that list. A Dual Pro Sportsman Edition is the one that's been keeping my sump pump batteries happy for the last 5 years or so. They claim that series is "Fully Waterproof". I can't vouch for that since the whole purpose for mine is keeping water _out_ of my basement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:17:12 -0600, Ignoramus15309

On 2017-11-11, V??????pnir wrote:
On 11/10/2017 09:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Have you used a genuine "battery tender" ?

Deltran Battery Tender? ? I have. Exactly the problems that ig
described. All of them. Trash.

Also "smart" chargers, "genius" chargers, etc

I have at least a dozen of these

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2201_200332201

maintaining my motorcycle battery and a collection of AGM traction
batteries. These batteries are around 10 years old and still measure
around 90% of rated capacity.

With my motorcycle which sits in an open shed carport, I made the unit
waterproof by putting it in a small bucket, then inverting a 5 gal
bucket over the top. That one has been in service around 3 years.

I just noticed that NT has a new and improved batteryMINDER

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9669_200589669

I just ordered one. We'll see how it differs for its predecessor.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Neon John" wrote in message

I have at least a dozen of these

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2201_200332201

maintaining my motorcycle battery and a collection of AGM traction
batteries. These batteries are around 10 years old and still
measure
around 90% of rated capacity.

John
John DeArmond

How do you measure battery capacity?

Has it ever successfully restored a sulphated battery?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:05:14 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

My 2x100W Grape Solar panels arrived and are producing 140W right
now,
9AM EST, equal to or slightly more than the APC1400, this laptop,
its
19" external monitor and the fridge consume on average, according to
charge and discharge wattmeters. They are already at their rated MPP
current with the sun only 15 degrees up.

Congrats! They sound efficient at that angle.

I'm impressed with how well they perform on a PWM controller, compared
to the maximum 32W I got from an HF "45W" kit.

I couldn't resist $1/Watt with free home delivery. Now I have more
solar panels than good places to permanently mount them. Folding
plastic sawhorses worked well enough for temporary use.

That's what I said when I saw the 1kw kit for $1115. Bits add another
$850 to that by the time I'm done.

At noon the wattmeter on the controller input peaked at 180W. It

Are they tilted properly, or just flat? 180 is pretty nice, but...

totaled 0.958 KWH from 8AM to 2PM when I stopped because the battery
voltage was climbing into the gassing range. In another 1/2 hour they
would have been shadowed by a tree anyway.

"Where are my climbing boots and chainsaw?"

My Windy Nation P20L PWM controller allows a higher equalizing voltage
for 2 hours before limiting at 13.8V (or whatever you program) . For
wet cells it goes to 14.6V, too much for indoors.

I will retest with the battery type set to Gel which drops the 2 hour
voltage limit to 14.2V where my batteries don't gas as much. A
published threshold for concern is 14.3V. It's easy to see if they are
or aren't fizzing or bubbling but difficult to measure the rate. At
the APC1400's 13.6V default float setting there is virtually no
bubbling, but the recharging rate is too low for daily cycling.

Why is it inside, again?

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature
low quality Chinese-built crap.

Not quite everyone. Ig, maybe look for one of these?

http://www.usamadeproducts.biz/elect...-chargers.html

4 left in the US.

I looked at Associated, their "maintainer" is made in China.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

At noon the wattmeter on the controller input peaked at 180W.

Are they tilted properly, or just flat? 180 is pretty nice, but...

It's 90% of MPP for two 100W panels, on a PWM controller. I used my
UT210E clamp-on to adjust them for the maximum current, though some
misalignment didn't hurt much.

I will retest with the battery type set to Gel which drops the 2
hour
voltage limit to 14.2V where my batteries don't gas as much. A
published threshold for concern is 14.3V. It's easy to see if they
are
or aren't fizzing or bubbling but difficult to measure the rate. At
the APC1400's 13.6V default float setting there is virtually no
bubbling, but the recharging rate is too low for daily cycling.

Why is it inside, again?

The high current, heavy cable parts are close to the load, which is
the fridge and computer desk. The indoor layout makes sense for a
closely watched experimental manual backup system but wouldn't for an
automatic daily cycling one. Once I have a better idea of what I need
and have space for I may move the batteries and a larger inverter into
an outdoor enclosure, or change to AGMs or Lithium.

At this point I hopefully know enough to be able to snap up good deals
I may happen onto, like these Home Depot panels.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Chargers-In...ry+charger+12v

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature
low quality Chinese-built crap.

Not quite everyone. Ig, maybe look for one of these?

http://www.usamadeproducts.biz/elect...-chargers.html

4 left in the US.

I looked at Associated, their "maintainer" is made in China.

Their KS-401 was "MADE IN USA of US and Imported Parts". Hmmm...

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature
low quality Chinese-built crap.

Not quite everyone. Ig, maybe look for one of these?

http://www.usamadeproducts.biz/elect...-chargers.html

4 left in the US.

I looked at Associated, their "maintainer" is made in China.

Their KS-401 was "MADE IN USA of US and Imported Parts". Hmmm...

Given how few solid state components are made in the USA these
days...it wouldnt be surprising if some of the stuff came from Asia.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone recommend some weatherproof charger, the "dumber" and
less sophisticated, the better. Thanks

I'm still using my dad's old 5A un-weatherproof louvered metal box.

I meant to add Schumacher Sure Fire 300, 3A, 6/12V from the '60s.
Original clamps, cord, analog meter, and everything.

Sadly, Shumacher has done like everyone else and gone to high feature
low quality Chinese-built crap.

Not quite everyone. Ig, maybe look for one of these?

http://www.usamadeproducts.biz/elect...-chargers.html

4 left in the US.

I looked at Associated, their "maintainer" is made in China.

Their KS-401 was "MADE IN USA of US and Imported Parts". Hmmm...

Given how few solid state components are made in the USA these
days...it wouldnt be surprising if some of the stuff came from Asia.

---

"MADE IN USA of US and Imported Parts" means they applied their
label, printed in Mexico, an a Chinese Charger and put it in a box
printed in India.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It could indeed mean that. Is it that way for sure? You have proof?

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Nothing specific on that product - but that's about how loose the
regulations are.