Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Odd Quote Response on 4140HT

I've been shopping around on some 4140 HT DCF, and I've got a couple quotes
already. Some are to high. Some are far enough away that freight makes a
significant difference. I've been trying to find somebody local (way to
high) or atleast somebody in state with a regular truck run.

Anyway, its no big deal getting quotes. Just trying to find the right one.
Not necessarily just on price, but proximity, stock, etc.

I just received a response that made me wonder:

*********
Good Afternoon Bob,
Would you mind sharing the end use for this material with me?
*********

That was it. No quote. No response about whether they stock the size or
spec stock I need. Nothing. It struck me as odd. So is there something
special about 4140HT that they would need to know, or is the person
responding just nosey?

Nobody else has asked what I plan to do with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/10/2017 6:56 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been shopping around on some 4140 HT DCF, and I've got a couple
quotes already.Â* Some are to high.Â* Some are far enough away that
freight makes a significant difference.Â* I've been trying to find
somebody local (way to high) or atleast somebody in state with a regular
truck run.

Anyway, its no big deal getting quotes.Â* Just trying to find the right
one. Not necessarily just on price, but proximity, stock, etc.

I just received a response that made me wonder:

*********
Good Afternoon Bob,
Would you mind sharing the end use for this material with me?
*********

That was it.Â* No quote.Â* No response about whether they stock the size
or spec stock I need.Â* Nothing.Â* It struck me as odd.Â* So is there
something special about 4140HT that they would need to know, or is the
person responding just nosey?

Nobody else has asked what I plan to do with it.

Bob,

LOL
Could be that your usage is potentially in violation of something.
And as such he wanted to provide you with a legal alternative.

Or he is just wanting to start a relationship............. :-)

Maybe you should just lead him on and maybe get a free coffee.

Good Luck!!

Les

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ABLE1" wrote in message ...

[...]

***********
Well I know of one metal vendor who is also a fabrication shop (many are),
and has said to people out of the side of his mouth that every piece of
metal he sells is a job he didn't get. His price for metal seems to reflect
that. My first thought was the salesman was trying to get a lead on a
client he could steal from me. Then I considered that 4140 is one of the
metals commonly used for firearms parts, but its pretty easy to get. You
can buy it on-line from half a dozen sources. I was just trying to keep my
business as local as I can. So far my best price from a stocking
distributor is out of Oklahoma. LOL Even including freight to Yuma.

I did get a local source who said they could get a "master plate" at a petty
good price, but its bigger than I can lift or cut. Their cut prices were
outrageous. Even if I bought the whole plate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*********c

That was it. No quote. No response about whether they stock the size or
spec stock I need. Nothing. It struck me as odd.

Nobody else has asked what I plan to do with it.

It will not be me, but if you post who sent you that response, someone might be able to tell you more about that vendor.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:56:49 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've been shopping around on some 4140 HT DCF, and I've got a couple quotes
already. [...]
I just received a response that made me wonder:

*********
Good Afternoon Bob,
Would you mind sharing the end use for this material with me?
*********

[...] is there something
special about 4140HT that they would need to know, or is the person
responding just nosey?

I don't know. Perhaps they have some other 4140 variety (eg 4140 QT
or PHT) and wonder if it would work for your application?

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

"Seamless Tubing sizes used in the oil and gas industry for above
ground and down hole applications. "

It's a roll bar for your moped, right? 6", right?

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 6:56:55 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

I just received a response that made me wonder:

*********
Good Afternoon Bob,
Would you mind sharing the end use for this material with me?
*********c

That was it. No quote. No response about whether they stock the size or
spec stock I need. Nothing. It struck me as odd.

Nobody else has asked what I plan to do with it.

It will not be me, but if you post who sent you that response, someone might
be able to tell you more about that vendor.

*** I didn't want to name them for two reasons.

I might "need" to do business with them sometime in the future. If they or
somebody they know reads RCM I might find myself buying from a hostile
vendor. They haven't done anything for me to put them on my NEVER list.

I didn't want to bash or seem to bash them if the query turned out to be
innocent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message news
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:56:49 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've been shopping around on some 4140 HT DCF, and I've got a couple
quotes
already. [...]
I just received a response that made me wonder:

*********
Good Afternoon Bob,
Would you mind sharing the end use for this material with me?
*********

[...] is there something
special about 4140HT that they would need to know, or is the person
responding just nosey?

I don't know. Perhaps they have some other 4140 variety (eg 4140 QT
or PHT) and wonder if it would work for your application?

**** I have to be honest. That never even occurred to me. I guess a
lifetime in business has made me to cynical.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Close. Skid plates for my electric go-cart. LOL.

What I am looking for is Qty 4 - 1 x 6 x 144 4140 HT DCF flat bar. 144 is
standard bar stock length from atleast two vendors. Its the largest piece
I can easily handle (lifting and cutting), and has two dimensions close to
the end product. Larger pieces tend to cost less. This is about double the
metal I need for the job, but I would like to have some on hand for smaller
one off work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:23:27 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

Well I know of one metal vendor who is also a fabrication shop (many are),
and has said to people out of the side of his mouth that every piece of
metal he sells is a job he didn't get. His price for metal seems to reflect
that. My first thought was the salesman was trying to get a lead on a
client he could steal from me. Then I considered that 4140 is one of the
metals commonly used for firearms parts, but its pretty easy to get. You
can buy it on-line from half a dozen sources. I was just trying to keep my
business as local as I can. So far my best price from a stocking
distributor is out of Oklahoma. LOL Even including freight to Yuma.

I did get a local source who said they could get a "master plate" at a petty
good price, but its bigger than I can lift or cut. Their cut prices were
outrageous. Even if I bought the whole plate.

I'm not a contractor; but I'd agree with what your gut is telling you.
They're phishing for info with an eye for finding out who your customer
might be.

Step 2 - if they liked the job, then they'll under bid you.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:59:06 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Oh, flat bar. Yeah, I know what you're making. Shurikens. Big, nasty
shurikens, like this: http://tinyurl.com/y7f5he3a Got black oxide?