Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alternatives to RCM

Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist
crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Perry" wrote in message

Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist
crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

*** I periodically block the changing political nyms, and individually set
threads as ignore and not to display. This squelch level brings the audible
SNR up to a reasonable level.

I am a member of several very good forums, but even now this group has the
broadest range of real world working knowledge. Its still worth the effort,
although I admit I sometimes wonder for how much longer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 10:03:22 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Perry" wrote in message

Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist
crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

*** I periodically block the changing political nyms, and individually set
threads as ignore and not to display. This squelch level brings the audible
SNR up to a reasonable level.

I am a member of several very good forums, but even now this group has the
broadest range of real world working knowledge. Its still worth the effort,

I use the Agent news reader and it is set to ignore all messages
posted to multiple groups. If you want to talk about almost anything I
will listen. I am not interested when someone starts preaching on a
subject.
although I admit I sometimes wonder for how much longer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/1/2017 5:56 AM, Perry wrote:
Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist
crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

What was the last metalworking post you wrote?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

I don't participate in anything moderated. Invariably the moderator
is a very small person with a very large power complex.

Thanks

*** I periodically block the changing political nyms, and individually set
threads as ignore and not to display. This squelch level brings the audible
SNR up to a reasonable level.

Yes. I kill anyone who posts political or grossly off-topic
materials. I know that I've hidden a few useful contributors but
that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. This group is now quite
pleasant, though low volume.

I am a member of several very good forums, but even now this group has the
broadest range of real world working knowledge. Its still worth the effort,
although I admit I sometimes wonder for how much longer.

Amen.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good question.

I block all crossposts and this is a great forum without those
crossposts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03-Nov-17 1:13 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/1/2017 5:56 AM, Perry wrote:
Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist
crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

What was the last metalworking post you wrote?

I'm more a reader than a poster.

I've learned a great deal from many of the regulars here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06-Nov-17 12:40 PM, Perry wrote:
On 03-Nov-17 1:13 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/1/2017 5:56 AM, Perry wrote:
Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist
crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

What was the last metalworking post you wrote?

I'm more a reader than a poster.

I've learned a great deal from many of the regulars here.

Tom, I've been here quite a while as a lurker - off the top of my head
you've got an orchard. I recall reading quite a few interesting posts
about your machinery builds and repairs.

I don't post much at all as I have little to contribute!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:41:54 +0800, Perry wrote:

On 06-Nov-17 12:40 PM, Perry wrote:
On 03-Nov-17 1:13 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/1/2017 5:56 AM, Perry wrote:
Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist
crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

What was the last metalworking post you wrote?

I'm more a reader than a poster.

I've learned a great deal from many of the regulars here.

Tom, I've been here quite a while as a lurker - off the top of my head
you've got an orchard. I recall reading quite a few interesting posts
about your machinery builds and repairs.

I don't post much at all as I have little to contribute!

Perry,

I think you're going to find that the moderated groups on web also have
their own pros and cons. WMMV.

Most of the one's that I'm in are pretty narrow in their focus: specific
to a machine I happen to own, or one of the subcategories of machining
that I do as a hobby - and most of mine are on yahoo groups.

To suggest any, people would need to know more about what you're looking
for.

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07-Nov-17 4:54 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

I guess I like RCM as it used to have posts about all sorts of machining
- metal, plastics, CNC, info on jigs or techniques, de-rusting,
adhesives, welding - basically anything and everything.

I'll check out some of the yahoo groups.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-11-07, Perry wrote:

I guess I like RCM as it used to have posts about all sorts of machining
- metal, plastics, CNC, info on jigs or techniques, de-rusting,
adhesives, welding - basically anything and everything.

RCM has always had a depressingly high number of off-topic,
usually USA politics posts. Even back in the 90's I had a killfile
that got rid of anything crossposted to more than two groups (and
still use it).

I'll check out some of the yahoo groups.

It'll probably have to be farcebook now, yahoo is pretty quiet.

OT, but RCM related: anybody else getting "Shut up" mail from "Ross"? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 15 April 24th 05 10:00 PM
FAQ and Posting "for sale" posts in rcm....... HeadHunter Metalworking 10 March 19th 05 06:53 AM
To all rcm'rs Anthony Metalworking 5 December 12th 04 01:30 AM
New Service available for Posters and Lurkers of RCM - IRC chat server Anthony Metalworking 0 December 5th 04 06:21 PM
Iron Fever Visit secret RCM handshake axolotl Metalworking 16 August 15th 04 03:31 AM