Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Raglan 5" Lathe, gearcutting data for changewheels

Hi,
Does anyone have gearcutting data for the changewheel gears on this lathe. Specifically the Tufnol tumbler gears 26 tooth; 2.00" dia, but what pressure angle and form is it a British or American standard. The involute cutter that I have is 14.5 pressure angle but this when offered up to the pinion there is a light gap at the flanks at the root?

Thanks for reading this post
John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone have gearcutting data for the changewheel gears on this
lathe. Specifically the Tufnol tumbler gears 26 tooth; 2.00" dia, but
what pressure angle and form is it a British or American standard. The
involute cutter that I have is 14.5 pressure angle but this when
offered up to the pinion there is a light gap at the flanks at the
root?

Thanks for reading this post
John

================
http://www.lathes.co.uk/raglan/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone have gearcutting data for the changewheel gears on this lathe.
Specifically the Tufnol tumbler gears 26 tooth; 2.00" dia, but what pressure
angle and form is it a British or American standard. The involute cutter
that I have is 14.5 pressure angle but this when offered up to the pinion
there is a light gap at the flanks at the root?

Thanks for reading this post
John

I have no specific knowledge of this lathe, but they are more than likely
14.5 deg.
Understand that standard gear cutters cut a range of teeth and really only
fit the middle of the range perfectly.
In any event, the change gears on a lathe are really more about dividing,
than power transmission and you can get away with a pretty lousy fit if the
tooth count is right..

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to robins.nyewood2, John wrote:
14 D.P. 14.5 P.A.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ls-642040-.htm