Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mini backhoe

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:55:22 -0400, Michael A Terrell

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 08:13:17 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Gerry wrote:

Michael A Terrell wrote:

I couldn't use my networked LASER printer after a brief power
outage. The damned thing had changed it's address on the network
when it rebooted. It had been through dozens of power outages, but
that time it incremented its address by one digit.

IT dept gave up on wireless network printer (Brother HL-5370DW)
and ran cable - no more problems.

I only use wireless, where I can't run a cable.

Or to connect to one of them "fruit" computers that don't have a
network cable option any more - - -

Not a problem, so far. I even connect my Internet radio with Cat5.

I do use a 10"tablet to watch TV at times, but there is nothing on
it worth trying to hack. I put it o a stand, on top of my computer. It
is just below line of sight of the main 24" monitor.

Largest monitor I've found on Saturday mornings so far is a 22" DELL
for ten Loonies - gal bought it to use with her netbook the week
before the netbook died!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:08:40 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 19:16:30 -0400, Michael A Terrell
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

You wonder how companies can afford to survive with things like that.
I was almost mugged for attempting to plug a guy's cord in during the
setup at COMDEX back in the '90s. Union guys went ape**** when I
pointed out the lack of connection and walked over to make it for the
vendor, like a nice guy. They made it clear that it was thea union
sparky's job and nobody else was "legally" allowed to do it. Scared
the **** out of me, it did. I tiptoed around the rest of the trip.
I never much liked unions, but I've really disliked them after that.

You don't carry a 'suicide cord' for those types?

I was surprised I didn't feel any garrotes that day. :-Q

A 'Suicide Cord' has an AC plug at one end, and alligator clips on
the other end. You let the union type connect it for you. ;-)

Har! I hadn't heard of those. Are those sweet things used for 240v,
too? Sounds like something used in an asylum or (other) torture
chamber.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerry wrote:

Michael A Terrell wrote:

[...]

I bought a pair of new Dell 24" monitors on Ebay a couple years ago,
for$100 each, delivered. They have HDMI inputs, so I can use them with a
KODI set top box to watch streaming video. They have three different
video inputs, so I can just connect a computer and turn it on without
unhooking anything else. I have three 24" monitors on my desk, along
with six computers and a set top box. That leaves me a spare VGA input
to work on computers.

The other 24" monitors are used Insignia.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I used mine to work on equipment with a missing or cut off power
cord. They can be made for any voltage or connector, but it's suicide if
you get careless.

Mine has a piggyback plug, so you can take someone else with you. Or
plug your test equipment in without losing an outlet.

Here is an example:

http://www.americord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/300x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/-/5-15pb_series_to_roj.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
A 'Suicide Cord' has an AC plug at one end, and alligator clips
on
the other end. You let the union type connect it for you. ;-)

Har! I hadn't heard of those. Are those sweet things used for
240v,
too? Sounds like something used in an asylum or (other) torture
chamber.

I used mine to work on equipment with a missing or cut off power
cord. They can be made for any voltage or connector, but it's
suicide if you get careless.

Mine has a piggyback plug, so you can take someone else with you.
Or plug your test equipment in without losing an outlet.

Here is an example:

http://www.americord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/300x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/-/5-15pb_series_to_roj.jpg

My deathcord has insulated female Fastons for its usual task of
checking out transformers. In storage the Fastons are plugged into
insulated male Faston to banana plug adapters to measure Variac
voltage with a DVM, and those into brass tubing banana jacks wired to
an AC cord outlet. I also brought out the ground from the cord outlet
and use it to connect a 1000V hipot tester when checking old &
repaired power tools and appliances.

I made the banana to AC adapters to extend the leads of a Fluke
clamp-on current probe at the breaker box with a long extension cord
when testing the operation of hardwired baseboard heaters upstairs.
The reading is the same with or without the extension cord.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerry wrote:

Michael A Terrell wrote:

[...]

Nice! My best score was a Samsung CLP-600N color laser printer, brand
new from Office Depot for $200. They were normally $400 but had a
$200 coupon from Samsung that week. About 4 years later, when looking
at the exhorbitant price of OEM toner cartridges @~$125 each, I found
a set of 4 color micro toner bottles + 4 PC boards for $63 delivered
from Ebay.

The only thing it doesn't like to print out are the pictures with the
Just 4 U list at Safeway.com. Go figure.

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Yeah, alligator clips are pretty damned iffy, always popping off and
shorting pins at the least desirable time. Toss in line voltage and
yer talkin' Widowmakers.

Mine has a piggyback plug, so you can take someone else with you. Or
plug your test equipment in without losing an outlet.

Here is an example:

http://www.americord.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/300x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/-/5-15pb_series_to_roj.jpg

Very nice idea! Whatever happened to the $1 power cord? Now they're
ten bucks a pop in quantity from most vendors, including Ebay.

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 20:21:35 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

A 'Suicide Cord' has an AC plug at one end, and alligator clips on
the other end. You let the union type connect it for you. ;-)

Har! I hadn't heard of those. Are those sweet things used for 240v,
too? Sounds like something used in an asylum or (other) torture
chamber.

Virtually every machine tool dealer will have several of these cords
in common usage. At least one in each voltage..110, 220 single, 208
3ph, 480 3ph

you make sure that the rubber cover is in good shape on each alligator
clip..and you keep spares on hand.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 08:07:32 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I used mine to work on equipment with a missing or cut off power
cord. They can be made for any voltage or connector, but it's suicide if
you get careless.

Yeah, alligator clips are pretty damned iffy, always popping off and
shorting pins at the least desirable time. Toss in line voltage and
yer talkin' Widowmakers.

They CAN be iffy..if not replaced when worn out or covered properly.

Lots and lots of machine dealers out there that still havent killed
themselves by accident yet.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerry wrote:

Michael A Terrell wrote:

[...]

IT Dept. downstars has a setup with six 22" monitors fed by four top
end lease returns plus an assortment smaller ones to fill in the
crners of the wrap around configuration including one monitoring the
Puppy bed outside his door. Then there ar monitors for the Windoze
machine, Test bed, etc. etc. It looks a lot like mission control. He
has a master switch for when he intends to sleep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And the gripping jaws are varied. Some have fangs
and some have serrating teeth.

Simply if you clamp on 8ga or 24 ga the alligator clip is shaped
differently and has different forces to apply.

As a practicing EE they are in use in labs and meters.

Martin

wrote:

A 'Suicide Cord' has an AC plug at one end, and alligator clips on
the other end. You let the union type connect it for you. ;-)

Har! I hadn't heard of those. Are those sweet things used for 240v,
too? Sounds like something used in an asylum or (other) torture
chamber.

Virtually every machine tool dealer will have several of these cords
in common usage. At least one in each voltage..110, 220 single, 208
3ph, 480 3ph

you make sure that the rubber cover is in good shape on each alligator
clip..and you keep spares on hand.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk writes:

Some of us see problems readily. Others just see equipment that doesn't
work...

A friend has a t-shirt I lust over:

I'm here because you broke something.
--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 11:08:51 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Nice. It has a trailer hitch so you just tow it to the job.

That's illegal. They're not road licenseable in the USA.
The fine print on the site says "Not for use on highways or public
roads."

State laws vary. When I looked up Califunny, it seems equipment
merely being transported from X to Y did not need tags, if
on its own wheels.

But a trailer to haul it would.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT: One-off tee shirts (was mini backhoe)

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 00:41:13 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Leon Fisk writes:

Some of us see problems readily. Others just see equipment that doesn't
work...

A friend has a t-shirt I lust over:

I'm here because you broke something.

LOL! Good one. I had one made for me after seeing one:

Just because I
give you advice, it
doesn't mean I
know more than
you, it just means
I've done more
stupid ****.

www.vistaprint.com will let you print a one-off tee for $7.49 + $4.99
standard shipping right now, so grab one if you really want it, David.
It's cheap enough. Mine is so long, it takes people long enough to
read that I catch them at it, and they're all smiling.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Leon Fisk writes:

Some of us see problems readily. Others just see equipment that doesn't
work...

A friend has a t-shirt I lust over:

I'm here because you broke something.

LOVE IT!!!

Gunner. machine tool service tech

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 00:45:06 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 11:08:51 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Nice. It has a trailer hitch so you just tow it to the job.

That's illegal. They're not road licenseable in the USA.
The fine print on the site says "Not for use on highways or public
roads."

State laws vary. When I looked up Califunny, it seems equipment
merely being transported from X to Y did not need tags, if
on its own wheels.

But a trailer to haul it would.

Correct. Which is why we see small cement mixers being towed behind
cars.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Leon Fisk writes:

Some of us see problems readily. Others just see equipment that doesn't
work...

A friend has a t-shirt I lust over:

I'm here because you broke something.

LOVE IT!!!

Gunner. machine tool service tech

IS THAT the way you pronounce the words "Dumpster", "Diver" in S.
California?

By the way, here is a "how to" article which may improve your
technique:
https://www.wikihow.com/Dumpster-Dive
--
Cheers,

Schweik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 4:02:58 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 09:15:07 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
Recently working on snow plows has reminded me of the knowledge gap
modern technology has created. Electrical schematics are as readable
as street signs to me but alien hieroglyphics to the plow owner.
http://pospert.org/wiring-diagram-fo...ern-snow-plow/

I went on a service call once, in a different lifetime...

For a GM plant, 70 mi drive one way. Problem, printer doesn't
work. Powers up okay but won't print anything. We were GE repair for
much of the western portion of the state.

As I was coming into the open office area and still 20 feet away I
could see the RS232 cable for the printer disconnected and on the
floor. That's all it was. Plugged the cable back in and they were
printing again. The department was labeled as engineering too

Some of us see problems readily. Others just see equipment that
doesn't
work...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

I wonder if it was simpler to call you than to get their union
electrician to come and plug in the cord. Someone may have quietly
kicked the plug out where you would see it.

GM paid to fly me first class from NH to Flint MI to turn the range
knob on a signal generator down one click. .

I was paid to drive a four-hour round trip to plug in a printer. The cleaning lady had unplugged it so she could plug in her vacuum. This was after trying to troubleshoot over the phone - they SWORE the printer's lights were on...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

[...]

Ha! We just had one of those today! My wife called from school and
told me the teachers were freaking out because their mini refrigerator
wasn't working and they were worried about their lunches. They were
about to call a repairman. So my wife reached around the back and
plugged it back in. g

(No, she didn't call to tell me that. The call actually was about
something else.)

--
Ed Huntress