Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG and 309L ?

Â* I'm rebuilding a damaged tractor attachment used for moving those
round hay bales . The highest stresses are on the round "spike" that
pierces the bale . That's part of the failed structure , and I'm
wondering if it would be a good idea to use the TIG welder and some 309L
to weld this to the framework . Everything is mild steel , and will be
welded with either 6013 or 7018 . I noticed that (before the last damage
occurred) the spike had been repaired before from metal fatigue breakage
.. This is why I wondered if a SS weld might hold up better in that
location . A set of small triangular reinforcements will also be
considered to spread the stress out over a larger area ... but I don't
want to get into a situation of chasing stress breakages on this thing -
I'm already beefing up the failed mount area by going from 3/8" to 1/2"
plate ... The problem is that these hillbillies are always coming up
with new ways to break **** . So us repair types gotta keep coming up
with new ways to stop them !

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 22:28:58 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

[...]

* --

* Snag

My experience with welding steel with stainless rod is that the
stainless tends to absorb carbon from the parent metal and sometimes
gets awful hard. I had a welder friend weld up a crack in a cast iron
engine head and the weld beads were so hard that it took the end off a
high speed end mill. Ultimately I had to reface the head with a
surface grinder.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Tig? Id run rod for that kind of repair....followed distantly by MIG
with a good wire alloy.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think your gussets will help more than anything else.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

I would use fresh 7018. It has good elongation properties and I think
that would be a good thing for what you are trying to repair...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11-Oct-17 10:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm rebuilding a damaged tractor attachment used for moving those
round hay bales . The highest stresses are on the round "spike" that
pierces the bale . That's part of the failed structure , and I'm
wondering if it would be a good idea to use the TIG welder and some 309L
to weld this to the framework ...

"No" to welding the spear to the mounting -- if like any we've got
had/ever seen it (the spear) should be threaded on the rear in a near
friction-fit housing. They're hardened and never even tried to weld the
spear itself--can't think you'll have much luck there.

If you weld it to the frame then really stuck (so to speak ) about
just replacing it...

Unless, of course, this is a smaller unit for the little round bales
instead of the large ones and is from Northern Tool or HF or somesuch
instead of a "real" equipment supplier in which case may as well just
build a new one on top of the existing mounting brackets, probably...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12-Oct-17 8:08 AM, dpb wrote:

"No" to welding the spear to the mounting -- if like any we've got
had/ever seen it (the spear) should be threaded on the rear in a near
friction-fit housing. They're hardened and never even tried to weld the
spear itself--can't think you'll have much luck there.

Start with rebuilding it with replacement sleeve/spears...they're
readily available and not particularly expensive.

https://www.sloanex.com/hay-parts/bale-spears.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Definitely run rod. DCEP weld if possible, 6010 would be OK, but 7018
is stronger (if you are breaking the weld this could be important)
7018 is easier to run than 6010/6011 too and is low hydrogen - so less
chance of a brittle weld (if the rod was properly stored, anyway)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/12/2017 11:57 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12-Oct-17 8:08 AM, dpb wrote:

"No" to welding the spear to the mounting -- if like any we've got
had/ever seen it (the spear) should be threaded on the rear in a near
friction-fit housing. They're hardened and never even tried to weld the
spear itself--can't think you'll have much luck there.

Start with rebuilding it with replacement sleeve/spears...they're
readily available and not particularly expensive.

https://www.sloanex.com/hay-parts/bale-spears.html

--

Â* Well , it's too late ... this thing was homemade to fit the fixture
that mounts to the bucket mount points . That spear is not hardened

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:08:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

How about welding a heavy wall DOM tube into the mount as a "socket"
for the stinger and just weld the end of the stinger to the end of the
socket, with the DOM tube supporting it with no HAZ in the stressed
area????. Gusset the DOM tube any way you can - with no weld heat
compromising the stinger??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12-Oct-17 3:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Well , it's too late ... this thing was homemade to fit the fixture
that mounts to the bucket mount points . That spear is not hardened
steel but I don't know what it is. It's being stuck together with the
7018 I have on hand . If I run out I'll buy more ... I started with some
6013 , beads looked like crap . The 7018 looks better , but not much .
Some days I wish I had a 300 amp MIG machine ... others I wish I had a
new Harley . Chances of either happenin' is about even . Somewhere
between zip and zero .

I hear ya' on the latter; all I've got is Dad's old (it's Marquette
which is a klew ) stick and I'm g-awful at best...I see HF has one of
their wire w/ MIG attachments on sale for pretty doggone cheap -- I've
thought last two days of driving to Garden and looking but didn't do it...

How big of bales and bales of what? With big ones here and hauling w/
flatbed semis I'm awful nervous about spear breaking just when I
wouldn't want it to do so...a lot bad can happen in a hurry that
way...just toting a small one around the lot is pretty much ok, it isn't
nothing but a nuisance most likely...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/12/2017 4:56 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12-Oct-17 3:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â*Â* Well , it's too late ... this thing was homemade to fit the fixture
that mounts to the bucket mount points . That spear is not hardened
steel but I don't know what it is. It's being stuck together with the
7018 I have on hand . If I run out I'll buy more ... I started with some
6013 , beads looked like crap . The 7018 looks better , but not much .
Some days I wish I had a 300 amp MIG machine ... others I wish I had a
new Harley . Chances of either happenin' is about even . Somewhere
between zip and zero .

I hear ya' on the latter; all I've got is Dad's old (it's Marquette
which is a klew ) stick and I'm g-awful at best...I see HF has one
of their wire w/ MIG attachments on sale for pretty doggone cheap --
I've thought last two days of driving to Garden and looking but didn't
do it...

How big of bales and bales of what?Â* With big ones here and hauling w/
flatbed semis I'm awful nervous about spear breaking just when I
wouldn't want it to do so...a lot bad can happen in a hurry that
way...just toting a small one around the lot is pretty much ok, it
isn't nothing but a nuisance most likely...

--

Â* These are grass hay , probably about 5 feet or a bit more in diameter
and 4 feet "long" . Just a guesstimate from my hay haulin' days of youth

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:58:39 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 10/12/2017 4:56 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

be gussets .* I'm using a Lincoln Tombstone 225 amp AC welder , but have
a baby MIG too - it just ain't got the ass for 1/2" plate . Got a 250
amp TIG welder too , but that ain't happening . By the time I finish
this I may even be able to make a bead that doesn't look like a string
of pigeon droppings . I've never been all that good with stick ,
probably because I do it so seldom .

* --

* Snag

Too bad your little lincoln isn't the DC model - then at least it
would look a bit more like goose poop.. . . .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12-Oct-17 8:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/12/2017 4:56 PM, dpb wrote:

How big of bales and bales of what? With big ones here and hauling w/
flatbed semis I'm awful nervous about spear breaking ...

These are grass hay , probably about 5 feet or a bit more in diameter
and 4 feet "long" . Just a guesstimate from my hay haulin' days of youth
I'd say the weight is well under a thousand pounds . That spear is 2" in
diameter and will be welded at the butt and again at 3" , and there will
be gussets. ...

That should be "stout enough" for those, then... ours are 6' D and a
5'W; grass weight about 12-1300 while silage can be 2000 or a little
more. It's losing one of them in the air I worry over; even tho the
only time I ever actually broke a spear was while "gathering up" and
found a gopher hole and one snapped clean right at the base of the socket.

I've seen guys get in a hurry and catch a point in the ground or try to
move something other than hay that's too heavy and bend one a
little...then they never last long after straighten having once been
strained that way...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/12/2017 4:56 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

* Ya know Clare , I built a 300 amp/800 volt full wave bridge rectifier
for that tombstone . Couldn't find a suitable inductor to stabilize the
arc though so I let the project die .The baby MIG is also* Lincoln , a
Weldpak 100 , and it is DC . If I need DC SMAW now i just use the
inverter TIG machine . If the leads were long enough I might be using it
for this project .

* --

* Snag

I have a good welding inductor in the cupboard in my garage that
I've had for years - came with the aircraft generator I used as the
motor on my electic Fiat "Electra-Mobile" (to use the generator as a
welder) Too bad the darn thing's so heavy - shipping it would cost
more than it's worth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
Some days I wish I had a 300 amp MIG machine ... others I wish I had a
new Harley . Chances of either happenin' is about even . Somewhere
between zip and zero .

*************

Similar here, but what I'd really like is my old 97FLHT back or a 350P pulse
mig.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2017 1:48 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message news
Some days I wish I had a 300 amp MIG machine ... others I wish I had a
new Harley . Chances of either happenin' is about even . Somewhere
between zip and zero .

*************

Similar here, but what I'd really like is my old 97FLHT back or a 350P
pulse mig.

Â* I wish I still had the cherry 76 FLH that got totaled . The only
thing I hadn't rebuilt or replaced was the bottom end - and I was
getting ready to stroke it . Current is a 90 FLHTCU , soon to be back on
the road after some major rehab (trans and top end) work .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:56:58 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

If you look around...you can get some pretty decent welders rather
cheaply.

Do you have 3ph power available anywhere you can weld?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/cobramatic-m...-/122743123723

One of the BEST mig welders Miller ever made:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLER-MILLE...AOSw4CFYtey U

---

TIG Torches - Water Cooled Tig Torch vs Air Cooled jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 22 October 8th 14 02:13 AM
tig torch/tig welder dan Metalworking 3 September 5th 09 12:36 AM
must sell Miller TIG Welder - Dynasty 200 DX AC/DC TIG/Stick [email protected] Metalworking 3 September 30th 08 09:41 PM
Lincoln AC/DC Tig- Idealarc Tig 250/250 question Gunner Metalworking 16 November 29th 04 08:05 PM
TIG and Heliarc Jim Stewart Metalworking 9 March 3rd 04 04:16 AM