Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unk Unk is offline

Default Linkage research

I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"unk" wrote in message
news
I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been
thunk up
before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_line_mechanism

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 13:02:29 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.

That can cover a lot of territory. Besides the classical linkages
described in Jim's link, and a limited Watt's linkage, there is the
rhombic drive, used in advanced Stirling engines, and the linkage used
in the original Atkinson-cycle engine patents.

But the definition of a straight-line linkage can get a little fuzzy,
depending on who'se doing the defining. It basic terms, a conventional
crank, driving a piston in a constraining cylinder through a
connecting rod, produces "straight-line motion."

There also are a couple of books, the titles of which I can't
remember, that describe all kinds of new and old mechanisms. I recall
that quite a few of them were mechanisms used by designers of
production machinery, which tends to have a lot of rotary-to-linear
motion requirements.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

unk wrote:

I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.

Have you looked at the old books via archive.com? Like:

https://archive.org/details/fivehundredseven00browiala

or maybe:

https://africastopover.com/user-grou...r-hiscox-down/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11-Oct-17 8:02 AM, unk wrote:
I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.

Undoubtedly you'll find it or a close variant in one of Leonardo's
sketchbooks...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11-Oct-17 9:02 PM, unk wrote:
I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.

Have a browse through this book and see if its in the

Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook.

http://160592857366.free.fr/joe/ebooks/Mechanical%20Engineering%20Books%20Collection/THEORY%20OF%20MACHINES/MECHANISMS%20AND%20MECHANICAL%20DEVICES%204e.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-10-11, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Try _Ingenious Mechanisms for designers and inventors_, a
four-volume set edited by Franklin D. Jones, published by Industrial
Press, Inc. While the volumes which I have are perhaps ten years old or
so, but has a copyright date of 1930 for Volume I.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

unk wrote:

I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.

Have you looked at the old books via archive.com? Like:

https://archive.org/details/fivehundredseven00browiala

or maybe:

https://africastopover.com/user-grou...r-hiscox-down/

404 error, sadly. Here's a google link to it:
http://tinyurl.com/yadb9az8

I was about to suggest both of those, Leon.

They're great to relax with, spending a rain/snow day inside.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

unk wrote:

I have thought up a linkage than does straight-line motion.

It's not (as far as I can tell) like any of the examples on the net.

Are there others/other places to look as this one must have been thunk up
before.

Have you looked at the old books via archive.com? Like:

https://archive.org/details/fivehundredseven00browiala

or maybe:

https://africastopover.com/user-grou...r-hiscox-down/

404 error, sadly. Here's a google link to it:
http://tinyurl.com/yadb9az8

Oops, that one resolved to elephant-ads. Do not go there.
http://tinyurl.com/y8w929tm kindle version @ the Amazone.