DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Engine knock (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/595923-engine-knock.html)

Ignoramus8901 August 30th 17 02:06 AM

Engine knock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

Terry Coombs[_2_] August 30th 17 02:45 AM

Engine knock

On 8/29/2017 8:06 PM, Ignoramus8901 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

Â* Sounds like it to me . Drain the oil and look for sparkly stuff . You
can figure on at least a crank regrind and new bearings . Might as well
do the rings and a valve job while you're in there ... and don't forget
to replace the oil pump .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Jon Elson August 30th 17 03:49 AM

Engine knock

Ignoramus8901 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

A rod knock would mostly follow the crank RPMs. I'm thinking that sounded
slower, so might be a bent pushrod, stuck valve, something like that. Rod
knocks are kind of low thumps, something in the valve train usually gives a
sharper tap tap.

But, REALLY hard to tell from a youtube video. You might pull the valve
cover and see if there's anything obvious, either static or with it running.

Jon

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 30th 17 05:09 AM

Engine knock

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 21:49:56 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus8901 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

A rod knock would mostly follow the crank RPMs. I'm thinking that sounded
slower, so might be a bent pushrod, stuck valve, something like that. Rod
knocks are kind of low thumps, something in the valve train usually gives a
sharper tap tap.

Possibly a rod, but does sound a lot like a collapsed lifter.

But, REALLY hard to tell from a youtube video. You might pull the valve
cover and see if there's anything obvious, either static or with it running.

Yes, hard to tell from a video. Pop the rocker cover and look for
only 7 of the 8 valves depressing.

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon

[email protected] August 30th 17 05:27 AM

Engine knock

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 20:06:30 -0500, Ignoramus8901
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

That double knock is classic

[email protected] August 30th 17 05:28 AM

Engine knock

wrote:

Ignoramus8901 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

A rod knock would mostly follow the crank RPMs. I'm thinking that sounded
slower, so might be a bent pushrod, stuck valve, something like that. Rod
knocks are kind of low thumps, something in the valve train usually gives a
sharper tap tap.

Possibly a rod, but does sound a lot like a collapsed lifter.

But, REALLY hard to tell from a youtube video. You might pull the valve
cover and see if there's anything obvious, either static or with it running.

Yes, hard to tell from a video. Pop the rocker cover and look for
only 7 of the 8 valves depressing.

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon

at idle it's hard to tell, but thar "double knock" on decel is
classic rod bearing rap.

Bob Engelhardt August 30th 17 08:57 PM

Engine knock

On 8/29/2017 9:06 PM, Ignoramus8901 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3OReUPPuQ

Would you say it sounds like a rod knock?

Yep. On acceleration the _intensity_ goes way up and almost disappears
on decel.

Ignoramus30839 September 3rd 17 06:59 PM

Engine knock

It was definitely a rod knock, one cylinder was MISSING both bearing
inserts. Not sure how it could have happened, the engine definitely
was worked on recently.

Larry Jaques[_4_] September 4th 17 12:43 PM

Engine knock

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 12:59:18 -0500, Ignoramus30839
wrote:

It was definitely a rod knock, one cylinder was MISSING both bearing
inserts. Not sure how it could have happened, the engine definitely
was worked on recently.

Oops. How do the crank and rod look after that abuse?

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand

[email protected] September 4th 17 01:48 PM

Engine knock

wrote:

It was definitely a rod knock, one cylinder was MISSING both bearing
inserts. Not sure how it could have happened, the engine definitely
was worked on recently.

Oops. How do the crank and rod look after that abuse?

Might depend on how long it ran. How long *did* it run, anyway?

Ignoramus30676 September 6th 17 03:50 AM

Engine knock

wrote:

It was definitely a rod knock, one cylinder was MISSING both bearing
inserts. Not sure how it could have happened, the engine definitely
was worked on recently.

Oops. How do the crank and rod look after that abuse?

Might depend on how long it ran. How long *did* it run, anyway?

The engine has evidence of having been worked on recently. I am not
yet sure what transpired prior to me buying it from a government
agency, maybe they forgot to put the inserts on that cylinder.