Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default eclipse. car tint vs welders mask

Hello. I was wondering if 18% car tint would be the same as using a welders mask to use with my camera. I was thinking about putting it on my sun roof and having my camera under it. Do you think that would protect my camera from being damaged? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok I was just trying to figure out a way to take pics without killing my camera.
I did just pick up a UV filter lens for it. Would that help? I just don't want to take chances.
Thank you
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you Jon.
I did find a multi coated UV Filter for my camera. I also have the glasses.

I am going to do some more research on it to see if there is anything else I can do.

If you come up with any ideas, please let me know. I'm not taking any chances with my eyes or my equipment.

Have a great day.
Misty

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/18/2017 05:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
BTW auto-darkening helmets won't stay dark without the flicker of an
arc.

Get creative. Watch the sun with a spinning fan in front of your
auto-darkening filter.
(Sounds to me like a good way to go blind _and_ get a headache too.
Of course YMMV.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Nichols" wrote
in message news
On 08/18/2017 05:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
BTW auto-darkening helmets won't stay dark without the flicker of
an
arc.

Get creative. Watch the sun with a spinning fan in front of your
auto-darkening filter.
(Sounds to me like a good way to go blind _and_ get a headache too.
Of course YMMV.)

Sure. Walk around wearing a welding helmet and propellor beanie and
tell people they protect you against dangerous rays from outer space.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 18:45:25 -0400, "Steve W."

Hello. I was wondering if 18% car tint would be the same as using a
welders mask to use with my camera. I was thinking about putting it
on my sun roof and having my camera under it. Do you think that would
protect my camera from being damaged? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thank you

Not even close!

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/how-mak...pse-sun-viewer
http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects...clipse-viewer/
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/17/543633...eclipse-viewer

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...-solar-eclipse

Welding shade 12-14 works. but unless you can find it locally shipping
isn't going to work unless you pay a LOT extra.

Why would you buy it online when every local welding supply shop will
have it available - if not in stock, for next day delivery at no extra
cost.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 22:25:03 -0700, mike wrote:

On 8/18/2017 2:22 PM, wrote:
Thank you Jon.
I did find a multi coated UV Filter for my camera. I also have the glasses.

I am going to do some more research on it to see if there is anything else I can do.

If you come up with any ideas, please let me know. I'm not taking any chances with my eyes or my equipment.

Have a great day.
Misty

Turn on your damn TV. Or login to any number of websites.
You'll find eclipse pictures better than you can take.
And you won't blow out your eyes setting up your camera.

I can't understand why people who are concerned about damaging
their camera are willing to risk their eyesight on possibly
the most risky situation they'll ever encounter.

Are two minutes of, "ok that's dark" worth risking a lifetime
of, "everything's dark?"

Stay home and turn on your TV.

I don't have a TV and the photos I take will have MY copyright on them
with no restrictions on how I use them.

This shows the unfortunate part of the pervasiveness of the net. Such
over-wrought posts get distributed wildly.

During the last total eclipse - 1978 or thereabouts - there was none
of this kind of hysteria. The instructions were simple: Don't look
directly at the sun without protection. Don't rely on sun glasses.
Welding filters or fully exposed B&W film are adequately dense. Don't
look at the sun with any magnification regardless of the presence of
outlet filters. No mass casualties afterward.

Misty:

Your UV filter will do nothing to attenuate the brightness of the sun
in the visible spectrum. It's probably too late now to get them but
welding filters are wonderful. I fabricated a bracket to hold a stack
of them in front of my camera lens. I use a stack of filters, both to
fine-tune the density and to still have protection if one failed.

With the old glass filters, there was a risk of cracking from the
heat. Most (all?) filters are now made of plastic which won't crack.
If the front one were to start melting, I would notice that as the
image on my camera start to brighten.

I have tested my setup extensively with the clear-sky sun and it works
perfectly.

If you have a point and shoot camera, a filter out of the cheap
viewing glasses (ISO, UL and ANSI approval vital to separate out the
fakes) can be held in front of your lens. My viewing glasses are a
little dark for good photography but if you put your camera on a
tripod so you can use a slow shutter speed, it should work well
enough.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/18/2017 05:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
BTW auto-darkening helmets won't stay dark without the flicker of an
arc.

BS! In my lab I view induction-heated materials (boiling copper for
example) with my Northern Tool-purchased automatic welding hood. The
glow from white hot materials is about as steady as one could create.

Second example: A DCRP TIG welding arc does not flicker. Again a
steady and uniform glow.

Third example: I've used my hood to look at the sun. The first time
I held a welding filter in front of the hood just in case it wouldn't
get dense enough. It did.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Neon John" wrote in message

[...]

This Jackman EQC Professional stays dark in the sun with Sensitivity
at or near HI. At the lower settings I had it on before it turns off
about a second after waving my hand over it with Delay at Max. I don't
have any other brands to test.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

None of the shops around me have anything over 12 in stock, 13-14 are
special order. That's why I posted that.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-08-18, wrote:
Thank you Jon.

I did find a multi coated UV Filter for my camera. I also have the
glasses.

A UV filter won't do much for what comes through the atmosphere
from the sun. The (eclipse) glasses will.

I am going to do some more research on it to see if there is anything
else I can do.

What kind of camera and lens? If just a small digital camera
with a lens no bigger than the maximum circle you can superimpose over
a single eclipse glasses lens, just hold it in front.

If a larger zoom lens, make an opaque sheet (aluminum would. be
nice), with a hole to match the eclipse glasses lens, and large enough
to cover the full diameter of the camera lens. Paint the aluminum side
towards the camera lens with a flat black pain.

If you have a mirror telephoto, do the same but make the hole
off-center so it is over part of the clear area of the front element of
the lens. A central hole will be blocked by the mirror mount. This
will let through less light than you would want for your camera if it
were the same sensitivity as your eyes, but most digital cameras can
automatically switch to much greater sensitivity than the daytime
sensitivity of your eyes.

A true digital SLR camera will only expose the sensor for the
very short time the shutter is open. The kind of digital camera which
uses the display as a viewfinder has the sensor exposed almost full
time, and it is more likely to be damaged if the light is not
sufficiently reduced.

If you come up with any ideas, please let me know. I'm not taking any
chances with my eyes or my equipment.

If you're thinking of using a UV filter for either the camera or
your eyes, you *are* taking chances with them.

None of this is certain, as I don't know your camera (nor your
eyes, actually).

Have a great day.
Misty

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/18/2017 2:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Interesting. You think your pictures are so much better than the
zillion that will be posted on the web that you need to protect them?
You do have a computer, right?

This shows the unfortunate part of the pervasiveness of the net. Such
over-wrought posts get distributed wildly.

During the last total eclipse - 1978 or thereabouts - there was none
of this kind of hysteria. The instructions were simple: Don't look
directly at the sun without protection. Don't rely on sun glasses.
Welding filters or fully exposed B&W film are adequately dense.

You never know what to believe on the web, but it's been stated that
exposed film filters out the visible, but is not protection against
eclipse viewing. YMMV.

[...]

OK just how is joe sixpack gonna tell if his glasses are approved?
Amazon, among other vendors have recalled counterfeit glasses.
Just because someone stenciled approval words on the package doesn't
mean that I'd risk my eyesight on 'em. Anywhere there's a buck
to be made, people will take advantage.
Poor joe sixpack won't figger it out till he starts having vision problems.
can be held in front of your lens. My viewing glasses are a
little dark for good photography but if you put your camera on a
tripod so you can use a slow shutter speed, it should work well
enough.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 21:26:05 -0700, mike wrote:

I don't have a TV and the photos I take will have MY copyright on them
with no restrictions on how I use them.

Interesting. You think your pictures are so much better than the
zillion that will be posted on the web that you need to protect them?
You do have a computer, right?

Quite the contrary. I know my pictures will not be the best because I
didn't spend a zillion bucks on the setup. The important thing is
that I own the shot and can therefore do anything I want with
them. Including publishing them on my website with a Creative Commons
mark so anyone can use them.

OK just how is joe sixpack gonna tell if his glasses are approved?

Well, the ones I bought have all the approval stamps printed on the
insides of the earpieces. And they came from a reputable source.

Do you weld? If so, how do you know that your welding filters are
authentic? After all, a stick-welding arc is as bright as the sun and
you DO stare at that light source for long periods of time. At some
point, you just gotta trust the approvals listed on quality name-brand
parts.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-08-20, Neon John wrote:

OK just how is joe sixpack gonna tell if his glasses are approved?

Well, the ones I bought have all the approval stamps printed on the
insides of the earpieces. And they came from a reputable source.

The test to see if the solar glasses work is a very easy test.

1) Look at the sun -- you should see it and be comfortable
2) Look at other bright objects, such as a clear incandescent light
bulb, you should at worst barely see the burning filament.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/18/2017 2:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, unique, too. :/

OK just how is joe sixpack gonna tell if his glasses are approved?

Only your local ER doctor will know for sure.

-
I am a Transfinancial--A rich person born in a poor person's body.
Please stop the hate by sending me money to resolve my money
identity disorder. --anon