DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3D metal printing, looks like a game changer (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/594181-3d-metal-printing-looks-like-game-changer.html)

Jon Anderson[_3_] July 30th 17 07:22 AM

3D metal printing, looks like a game changer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7Mq7ESwI

Jon

---

Neon John July 30th 17 12:46 PM

3D metal printing, looks like a game changer

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 16:22:59 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7Mq7ESwI

We've been working with another company on something even more
advanced. Their direct metal printer works exactly like an inkjet
printer except that the "ink" is molten stainless steel. We designed
the induction heated melting chamber that rides on the X-Y arm.

This should REALLY be a game changer, though it will be too expensive
for home use. Maybe for a makerspace.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Larry Jaques[_4_] July 30th 17 08:41 PM

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7Mq7ESwI

Pretty darned cool. Now, how much is marketing and how much is
reality?

--
A good plan violently executed now is better
than a perfect plan executed next week.

BobH[_5_] July 31st 17 01:15 AM

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7Mq7ESwI

We've been working with another company on something even more
advanced. Their direct metal printer works exactly like an inkjet
printer except that the "ink" is molten stainless steel. We designed
the induction heated melting chamber that rides on the X-Y arm.

Do you have to run the printing process in an inert gas atmosphere?

BobH

Neon John July 31st 17 02:06 PM

3D metal printing, looks like a game changer

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7Mq7ESwI

We've been working with another company on something even more
advanced. Their direct metal printer works exactly like an inkjet
printer except that the "ink" is molten stainless steel. We designed
the induction heated melting chamber that rides on the X-Y arm.

Do you have to run the printing process in an inert gas atmosphere?

Yes. The first prototype had the whole mechanism in an argon-filled
enclosure. Last I heard they were working with a TIG-like affair that
surrounds the print head and a few cm of surrounding area with argon.

Gunner Asch[_6_] August 1st 17 11:35 AM

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7Mq7ESwI

Jon

---

Holy ****! Thats FAST and cheap!!

We are in a new world!!

Gunner

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 1st 17 02:15 PM

3D metal printing, looks like a game changer

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pk7Mq7ESwI

Jon

---

Holy ****! Thats FAST and cheap!!

And startup costs are under a few million dollars!

We are in a new world!!

Indeed.

--
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless,
but planning is indispensable. --Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower