Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Re-sharpen bandsaw blade?

Using a fairly new very coarse bandsaw blade sawing some aluminum
castings a few teeth were damaged. I think maybe a piece of sand took
'em out. Anyway, the rest of the teeth are fine but there are perhaps
8 teeth in succession that are damaged and of course now the saw jumps
when these teeth come around. The blade is a good bi-metal variable
pitch blade. So I'm wondering about just sharpening the bad teeth
since most of each tooth still remains. Anyone done this? Got any
advice?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Using a fairly new very coarse bandsaw blade sawing some aluminum
castings a few teeth were damaged. I think maybe a piece of sand
took
'em out. Anyway, the rest of the teeth are fine but there are
perhaps
8 teeth in succession that are damaged and of course now the saw
jumps
when these teeth come around. The blade is a good bi-metal variable
pitch blade. So I'm wondering about just sharpening the bad teeth
since most of each tooth still remains. Anyone done this? Got any
advice?
Thanks,
Eric

I have my dull 16 foot long sawmill blades reground for $8 locally. It
depends on what the sharpening shop has for equipment.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 1:07:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
So I'm wondering about just sharpening the bad teeth
since most of each tooth still remains. Anyone done this? Got any
advice?
Thanks,
Eric

Try it. What do you have to lose?

If you are up to making bandsaw blades , you could just cut out that section and weld in a new section.

I have silver soldered bandsaw blades. Took a chunk of steel and milled a slight edge into the block and then used a couple of small C clamps to hold the blade using the milled straight edge to align them. Scarf the blade etc.

Dan

/