Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default YES!

Two nuts gas welded to two studs in the exhaust manifold. Studs that
had probably been in place since the backhoe was made back in the 70s.
I say had been in place because I got them both out. Now I don't need
to remove the manifold from the tractor. When the new exhaust riser
that bolts to the manifold arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday I'll just
need to bolt it on and fit the exhaust pipe to it. I was really
thinking that the exhaust and intake manifolds were gonna need to come
off of the engine. I am now really happy. Time for a barley soda.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Two nuts gas welded to two studs in the exhaust manifold. Studs that
had probably been in place since the backhoe was made back in the
70s.
I say had been in place because I got them both out. Now I don't
need
to remove the manifold from the tractor. When the new exhaust riser
that bolts to the manifold arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday I'll just
need to bolt it on and fit the exhaust pipe to it. I was really
thinking that the exhaust and intake manifolds were gonna need to
come
off of the engine. I am now really happy. Time for a barley soda.
Eric

What would Plan B have been?
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/9/2017 5:32 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 16:34:15 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 7/9/2017 4:02 PM,
wrote:
Two nuts gas welded to two studs in the exhaust manifold. Studs that
had probably been in place since the backhoe was made back in the 70s.
I say had been in place because I got them both out. Now I don't need
to remove the manifold from the tractor. When the new exhaust riser
that bolts to the manifold arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday I'll just
need to bolt it on and fit the exhaust pipe to it. I was really
thinking that the exhaust and intake manifolds were gonna need to come
off of the engine. I am now really happy. Time for a barley soda.
Eric

Which reminds me , I have a bag of barley in the pantry , came from
the local Mennonite store . I wonder what they'd think about me malting
and brewing it - it was bought for use in soups but ...

--

Snag

Is the barley whole? Is it still alive? I've bought plenty of barley
in the store over the years for bacon and barley soup but I never
tried to get it to sprout, the first stage in malting grain. But then
all you really need is an enzyme to convert the starch to sugar and
I'm sure that's how the big boys do it. As for the Mennonites, I'm
sure you do and say all sorts of things they don't agree with and yet
they still sell to you. So why not malt some barley and tell us how it
went?
Eric

Yes , the barley is whole and should be viable for germination . That
was a passing fancy , I have neither the time nor the inclination right
now to make beer . Got a house that needs finishing , I'd like to at
least have sheet rock on all the walls before fall . The vaulted kitchen
ceiling may have to wait a while ... it gets wood . And faux beams . Hey
, as of today we have 2 functioning toilets - grand kids are coming for
a visit later this week and Mama said ... so Papa did . That bathroom
doesn't have any sheet rock on the walls either ...

--

Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 18:01:10 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Two nuts gas welded to two studs in the exhaust manifold. Studs that
had probably been in place since the backhoe was made back in the
70s.
I say had been in place because I got them both out. Now I don't
need
to remove the manifold from the tractor. When the new exhaust riser
that bolts to the manifold arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday I'll just
need to bolt it on and fit the exhaust pipe to it. I was really
thinking that the exhaust and intake manifolds were gonna need to
come
off of the engine. I am now really happy. Time for a barley soda.
Eric

What would Plan B have been?

Risers are easier since there are fewer studs and straighter access,
but they can be as fun as manifolds.

Manifold procedure on autos (and probably tractors):

Normally, it consists of snapping off studs while trying to remove the
nuts, removing the exhaust from the manifold, removing the manifold
from the broken studs, sawing off the studs at head level, center-
punching and drilling out the studs, installing helicoils (depending
on access, sometimes it's easier or only possible by removing the head
to do this), and finally, putting in new studs. Anti-seize is used to
prevent this from ever happening again.

I heard about the trick of welding the nut to the stud to loosen the
stud AFTER a couple of the more tedious procedures.

My sister's mechanic didn't notice the length difference on some of
the studs and broke a stud through to the water jacket on her VW
station wagon (unk engine/who cares, it's a VW.) And he had to buy
her a used head and pay for another valve grinding. Luckily, she was
smart and called when she saw steam, not when the red light came on to
tell her that her engine was fried or seized.

Early on, I started the practice of sticking bolts through a piece of
cardboard (with an outline of the shape of the engine part on which I
was working) to A) hold the bolt from rolling around or getting lost
and B) keep its place in the assembly marked. This was especially
important when I started ten projects at once and was waiting on parts
for five of them over a period of weeks or months. Nuts got tied to
it by having baling wire poked through the cardboard. That silly
little practice has served me -very- well over the years.

--
The door of opportunity is marked "PUSH".
--anon

YES YES YES Sanity may yet return!!! Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_2_] UK diy 9 July 13th 16 08:33 PM
HDTV LAMP FOR PANASONIC DLP PROJECTIONS TV PT52DL52 , PART # TEEC0024-1 FOR SALE $295 EACH, YES IN STOCK ! john Electronics Repair 2 January 26th 06 09:28 PM
Table Saw Fence Accuracy - (Yes, I Googled) Tom Murphy Woodworking 9 December 6th 03 06:27 PM
Yes Mally Electronics Repair 3 August 27th 03 11:18 PM
Upgrade to a Condensing boiler - yes or no? robf UK diy 12 August 27th 03 10:10 PM