Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Like riding a bike

I learned how to gas weld 47 years ago. But for the last 20 or so
years I hardly ever do any gas welding. TIG and MIG rule in my shop.
But just a few minutes ago I needed to weld a nut onto an exhaust stud
and my arc welding leads were too short to reach the backhoe. But my
torch has long hoses. So I gas welded the nut on and the job was easy
and turned out well. The old muscle memory just came back and the weld
is not only strong it also looks good. So I guess I can still cut the
mustard. And even spread it around a little.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Back around 198X give or take I ran afoul of a local DPS officer who already
had a bad reputation as a hardass. If I hadn't had a witness I think I
might have gone to jail the night I missed a gear out in front of his house
and over revved my pickup truck. The truck with not so great exhaust. When
he called me at work the next day to ask what time we closed the store I
knew I wasn't going to get any time to fix it before he came after me again.

I asked a farm mechanic I knew if he would patch up the holes in my exhaust
pipe. He said, "No Bobby I won't. But I'll teach you how to do it
yourself." He and I met up in the workshop we had behind the grocery store
that evening and he showed me how to patch exhaust pipe and even muffler
skins with clothes hanger and a cutting torch. He wouldn't even let me use
a welding head. He said after I learned to do it with what was handy I
could worry about getting fancy. No flux. Just heat and and make small
circles with the torch head. Mostly on the thicker wire keeping the muffler
skin and the wire about the same color until they flow together. Then you
do the other end and if you get it right the wire parts a just as it flows
into the skin. Then you lay another one next to the first one until you
cover the hole, and finally you flow them altogether the same way. The best
part is your duty cycle is 100% until you run out of gas. Made all kinds of
parts with a torch after that. It was a great skill to learn. Thank you
Ron Partee where ever you are today.

I haven't done any of that kind of welding in over 20 years, but I can still
feel the slow steady motion of making tiny circles and watching the metal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
[...]

After buying a MIG I practiced until I could close a quarter-sized
hole without a copper backing plate. That taught me the value of
fitting and welding a plug instead.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 7:16:36 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I remember Arc Brazing with Copper Coated Electrodes....in my bedroom!

The headpipe on my Jeep got a biiiiiiiit rusty, see...the kewel thing was that the CO generated by the Montgomery Ward Home Arc Welder fitted with Montgomery Ward's Carbon Arc Torch and Electrodes would not ... not quite kill ya, but it was powerful good, lacking an O from being CO2, at stripping O from Fe2O3 and other rusts, and leaving shiny ferrous behind. Wow.

You would just glaze over it, melting into the surface.

Ever see a metglas? Like that.

Then you'd withdraw...real slow like...because if you didn't, Quench!

But it would work real well, it would sort of magically derust and repair steel or iron of all kinds, and it didn't frighten my neighbors, well not too much, I told them I was photographing nudes with a harsh light I got from an old movie house. Hah!

And if that metal had rusted through, this was the best way to get it ready for the coat hanger wire build up described by others. A strongly reducing flame. You might try it with fuel gas but I suspect you'll carbonize the metal. The flame hits the metal. The arc heats by radiation and the CO is more of an envelope, the pooooor and I mean dirt farm ain't gonna buy it diet poooor man's MIG / TIG. What fun. Jazzbox. Build one from a Microwave.

Doug
Admin AT Replikon DOT Net also keeps the Spam down
Like fer lunch

Bike lock (bike stolen) Dubber UK diy 35 November 5th 09 08:07 PM
Use Dry-Lub or Grease on Bike Chain and Lawn Mower? Jay Chan Home Repair 16 July 14th 04 07:17 PM
need ideas for bike trailer rick fetters Metalworking 1 October 22nd 03 04:50 AM
Upgrading childs electric bike - part 2 Alan Campbell UK diy 1 July 27th 03 06:39 PM
Upgrading childs electric bike Lee Blaver UK diy 9 July 24th 03 12:55 AM