Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Tires....help needed on choices

On 07/02/2017 1:05 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Any suggestion as to brand etc etc etc would be greatly appreciated.
Ive not had to buy heavy duty tires in decades...so its way the hell
outside of my expertise.

terrain will be dry roads, HOT outside conditions most of the year,
very little loading...they will be used mostly for pulling boats to
the lake, and moderate road trips camping and so forth.

I need (5) of them and they need to be affordable, so Ill try to find
some low mileage used ones at the various tire shops in the area. I
live in Pickup Country...so there are lots of truck tires around.

Well, they ain't cheap which probably rulz 'em out unless as you say you
can find some from wrecked vehicle or somebody just traded 'em in, but I
put set of Bridgestone M773 LT on the K2500 probably at least 8 yr ago
and they're still as nearly new. Not a lot of miles but what it gets is
virtually all gravel road and field that chews up a tire pretty quickly.
They're all-purpose tread, pretty aggressive but not that noisy on the
road; we have taken it to the ground out in NM a few times for fencing
and other maintenance projects out there--it's a 3-hr trek and they're
fine at highway speed a well.

But, probably $200/ea minimum I'd guess. For lesser expense have always
had good luck with Cooper; I've yet to have any of the recent spate of
imports from which to judge comparisons...