Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tires....help needed on choices

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 2:05:46 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
They are
sized LT 225/R75/16, 10 ply, load range E

Thanks!

Gunner

I would check out the Bangag website. Lots of truckers use tires that have been retreaded. Don't know if retreads are available in your size.

I use to use retreads on my cor, but that was a long time ago.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 05:27:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 2:05:46 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
They are
sized LT 225/R75/16, 10 ply, load range E

Thanks!

Gunner

I would check out the Bangag website. Lots of truckers use tires that have been retreaded. Don't know if retreads are available in your size.

I use to use retreads on my cor, but that was a long time ago.

Dan

I would NOT use retreads in the heat of California. The BEST tire for
the truck would be a Miclelin - but they would be worth as much as the
truck new. If you can buy "take offs" from someone upgrading a new
truck would be your best deal.Nokians (from Finland) are excellent
tires too - you might do OK with high end Hankooks. See a lot of them
on trucks lately - they used to be known for being very good at
putting "corners" on round tires, but seem to have improved.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 2:05:46 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
They are
sized LT 225/R75/16, 10 ply, load range E

Thanks!

Gunner

I would check out the Bangag website. Lots of truckers use tires that have been retreaded. Don't know if retreads are available in your size.

I use to use retreads on my cor, but that was a long time ago.

Dan

\
Now there is a thought!! I never thought about retreads. I wonder if
they still do that?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 2:05:46 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
They are
sized LT 225/R75/16, 10 ply, load range E

Thanks!

Gunner

I would check out the Bangag website. Lots of truckers use tires that have been retreaded. Don't know if retreads are available in your size.

I use to use retreads on my cor, but that was a long time ago.

Dan

I would NOT use retreads in the heat of California. The BEST tire for
the truck would be a Miclelin - but they would be worth as much as the
truck new.

I think that retreads are only available in truck sizes. Not sure about that. But in any case you are in luck. Michelin retreads tires in your size. Bandag probably also makes retreads in your size, but their web site is not intuitive to me.

Michelin web sites says they operate 77 retread plants so you should be able to find some near you. I expect Michelin retreads and Bandag retreads are as good as any tires as far as heat goes.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/2/2017 4:35 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Dan

I would NOT use retreads in the heat of California. The BEST tire for
the truck would be a Miclelin - but they would be worth as much as the
truck new. If you can buy "take offs" from someone upgrading a new
truck would be your best deal.Nokians (from Finland) are excellent
tires too - you might do OK with high end Hankooks. See a lot of them
on trucks lately - they used to be known for being very good at
putting "corners" on round tires, but seem to have improved.

Thanks!!!

I have a Club Wagon and put the best Michelin LT tires on, absolutely
no regrets and they will be the last tires on it I bet. I researched
long and hard and my second pick was Continental for price and performance.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 2:05:46 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
They are
sized LT 225/R75/16, 10 ply, load range E

Thanks!

Gunner

I would check out the Bangag website. Lots of truckers use tires that have been retreaded. Don't know if retreads are available in your size.

Y'mean Bandag, with a "d"?

I use to use retreads on my cor, but that was a long time ago.

Dan

I would NOT use retreads in the heat of California. The BEST tire for
the truck would be a Miclelin - but they would be worth as much as the

The worst tires I've ever driven on came on my 2007 Tundra. Michelins.
They wouldn't let my truck go up a 10% grade of wet grass.
These Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2 tires are outstanding. Quiet,
sticky on both wet and dry ground, and they seem to last well.

truck new. If you can buy "take offs" from someone upgrading a new
truck would be your best deal.Nokians (from Finland) are excellent
tires too - you might do OK with high end Hankooks. See a lot of them
on trucks lately - they used to be known for being very good at
putting "corners" on round tires, but seem to have improved.

I think my old '57 Chevy was the worst at squaring tires.
Thank Crom it has been a wee bit of time since then.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 13:34:23 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Now there is a thought!! I never thought about retreads. I wonder if
they still do that?

I'd rather go into hock and pay interest on the card than go retreads.
The last tires I put on the F-150 cost $31 apiece circa 2005 ($150/4
out the door with mounting, lifetime balancing, and warranties from
WallyWorld.) Import tires beat the hell out of retreads. I hear
truck retreads go every few weeks on the downhill near my house, and
they sound like shotguns going off when they blow the sidewall and the
peel their treads.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 21:22:28 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 7/2/2017 4:35 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Dan
I would NOT use retreads in the heat of California. The BEST tire for
the truck would be a Miclelin - but they would be worth as much as the
truck new. If you can buy "take offs" from someone upgrading a new
truck would be your best deal.Nokians (from Finland) are excellent
tires too - you might do OK with high end Hankooks. See a lot of them
on trucks lately - they used to be known for being very good at
putting "corners" on round tires, but seem to have improved.

Thanks!!!

I have a Club Wagon and put the best Michelin LT tires on, absolutely
no regrets and they will be the last tires on it I bet. I researched
long and hard and my second pick was Continental for price and performance.

---
http://www.avg.com

Thanks Tom! Ill check into em.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I finally broke down and bought Michelin Latitude Tour tires on my
Ranger I am very happy with them as summer tires - Have Nokian
Hakkapeliitta R2s on for the winter.

truck new. If you can buy "take offs" from someone upgrading a new
truck would be your best deal.Nokians (from Finland) are excellent
tires too - you might do OK with high end Hankooks. See a lot of them
on trucks lately - they used to be known for being very good at
putting "corners" on round tires, but seem to have improved.

I think my old '57 Chevy was the worst at squaring tires.
Thank Crom it has been a wee bit of time since then.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Let us know what kind of miles you get on them.

I finally got the Toyota dealer to OK the warranty on the aux smog
valve and pump and it's in the shop today. Whew, I was sweatin' like
a pig over that one. $2,500 worth of relief!

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I am unlikely to ever wear them out. The original 14 inch tires
lasted about 235000KM - it still had the second set on it when I
bought it, 16 years old, with 307000km on it. I put on a set of used
Coopers that came with the 16 inch TorqThrust style 16 inch mags I put
on it 4 years ago, and I used them for 2 years before replacing them
with the Michelins. The coopers were not worn out, but were well past
their "best before date", being made in 1998. I put less than 10,000km
a year on the truck, about 1/4 of them, historically, on the snows. I
just got rid of the original 21 year old 14 inch snows, and they were
still over 1/2 trad.

My only other personal experience with Michelins was with the old
original "X" tires -on my 1967 Peugeot in 1973. At 6 years of age, the
car had over 100000 miles on it and the tires were still round, still
held air, and still had decent tread on them - but the tread was hard
as a rock and provided very little traction. I replaced 2 with Zambian
Dunlops The old "X" tires were not tubeless - they ran "airstops"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I finally broke down and bought Michelin Latitude Tour tires on my
Ranger I am very happy with them as summer tires - Have Nokian
Hakkapeliitta R2s on for the winter.

Let us know what kind of miles you get on them.

I finally got the Toyota dealer to OK the warranty on the aux smog
valve and pump and it's in the shop today. Whew, I was sweatin' like
a pig over that one. $2,500 worth of relief!

My truck came back to me at 3:30pm yesterday and I put my foot into it
on the way home. No more limp mode, so it's fun again. The bill,
footed by Toyota, came to "only" $1,565.56. Thank you, Toyota.

I am unlikely to ever wear them out. The original 14 inch tires
lasted about 235000KM - it still had the second set on it when I
bought it, 16 years old, with 307000km on it.

WTF? Was that summer miles? I've never seen tires last that long on
anything. I got almost 60k on the rears of the F-150, with 2 new
pairs on the I-beam front end during that time.

I put on a set of used
Coopers that came with the 16 inch TorqThrust style 16 inch mags I put
on it 4 years ago, and I used them for 2 years before replacing them
with the Michelins. The coopers were not worn out, but were well past
their "best before date", being made in 1998. I put less than 10,000km
a year on the truck, about 1/4 of them, historically, on the snows. I
just got rid of the original 21 year old 14 inch snows, and they were
still over 1/2 trad.

How many months do you use snow tires there, and what is the normal
tread life of tires there. It seems mythical to me, so I'm thinking
they're made with ground Unicorn horn to get those miles.

My only other personal experience with Michelins was with the old
original "X" tires -on my 1967 Peugeot in 1973. At 6 years of age, the
car had over 100000 miles on it and the tires were still round, still
held air, and still had decent tread on them - but the tread was hard
as a rock and provided very little traction. I replaced 2 with Zambian
Dunlops The old "X" tires were not tubeless - they ran "airstops"

What are airstops? googled: 9mm thick butyl tubes? Wow.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That was virtually all highway miles, mostly summer as the snows
still had a lot of tread left (about half). The truck was driven back
and forth from Huntsville Ontario to downtown Toronto for most of the
first 300,000km
I put on a set of used
Coopers that came with the 16 inch TorqThrust style 16 inch mags I put
on it 4 years ago, and I used them for 2 years before replacing them
with the Michelins. The coopers were not worn out, but were well past
their "best before date", being made in 1998. I put less than 10,000km
a year on the truck, about 1/4 of them, historically, on the snows. I
just got rid of the original 21 year old 14 inch snows, and they were
still over 1/2 trad.

How many months do you use snow tires there, and what is the normal
tread life of tires there. It seems mythical to me, so I'm thinking
they're made with ground Unicorn horn to get those miles.

I have my snow tires on from Nov 1 to April every year. Not sure what
the original tires on the truck were, but the first replacements were
Firestone FR380 215/70 14s and were installed at 187,024km according
to the reciept, on November 10, 2004 Cost $91.65 each installed and
balanced on the factory MAG wheels. One of those tires was repaired at
221862km in June of 2006
The snow tires were installed 19 1998 - they were Cooper "weather
master" brand installed on rims in Oct 1998 - cost $79 each
installed.

I have had tires last as little as 30,000km and as much as 170,000 on
other vehicles. On my 1972 Firenza, which I bought in 1979 for $250
(all the Lada dealer would allow on a trade) I installed Goodyear
Traction T/As about a month after I bought it. These were so5/60 13s
if I remember correctly - much wider than the original "bike tires" it
came with - on styled steel rims from a Vega/Astre GT. Those tires
were still on the car when it was scrapped in 1996 when the steering
rack went bad and we could not get parts to repair it Not sure how
many miles were on them, but the car went to Nova Scotia towing a tent
trailer, went out to Mount Wahington, and all over Ontario for 17
years - and there was well over 3/4 tread left. I guess what I'm
saying is there are tires, and there are tires -and it also depends
what vehicle they are on, how they are loaded, and how they are
driven. The Ranger never had a load in it untill after I bought it
with 307,000km on it.
When I bought my 1998 New Yorker, it had relatively good tires on it -
100,000km on the car, give or take a few thousand ( I think it was
actually about 98,000) I replaced the summer tires once, with cheap
Triumph All Season (offbrand goodyears IIRC) before I sold the car
with 240,000km on it - the tires still passed the safety - but not by
much. I think it was about 85000km on the replacement tires - mostly
local driving
When I bought my 1990 Aerostar from my Dad it still had the original
tires. I replaced the tires twice, and had snows for the rear - in
240,000km. The tires were (all 8) still good when the truck was sold.
I put new tires on my 1995 TranSport when I bought it, and kept them
when I scrapped the truck 100,000km later at 475,000km. (I used the
Graspic snows from the Aerostar on the TranSport) I've averaged 6 or 7
seasons per set of Graspics over 3 vehicles - used the same size -
moved from vehicle to vehicle for the Aerostar, the TranSport, the PT
Cruiser, and the Ranger (Untill I put the big brakes on it and had to
get 16s - when I bought the Haks.

When I bought the 2002 Taurus in 2012 with 54000km on it, it had new
low-end Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tourings (T rated) on it. I replaced 2 of
them before the car hit 80,000km, and then replaced all 4 with new V
rated Tiger Paws at about 103,000. The T rated 'Paws were JUNK - The V
rated are apparently much better - we will see. The car just turned
108,000km last week.

My daughter's Honda got almost 80,000km on the original equipment
tires - forget what brand - and we replaced with Goodyear GTs whick
lasted till last fall - I think 187,000 km on the car now - had Dunlop
Graspics on for all the winters (car is 9 years old now - so 8
winters)She DRIVES the thing!!! The GTs likely got 80,000 km of summer
driving on them, while the originals likely goy less than 50,000.

My only other personal experience with Michelins was with the old
original "X" tires -on my 1967 Peugeot in 1973. At 6 years of age, the
car had over 100000 miles on it and the tires were still round, still
held air, and still had decent tread on them - but the tread was hard
as a rock and provided very little traction. I replaced 2 with Zambian
Dunlops The old "X" tires were not tubeless - they ran "airstops"

What are airstops? googled: 9mm thick butyl tubes? Wow.

Yup. And they came in handy. On the tip from Livingstone Zambia, up
through the copperbelt, across the pedicle of Zaire and up to Mbreshi
in Luapula Province, during the rainy season (Christmas/NewYears 1974)
I stopped every hour or so, got out the hammer, and knocked the rims
back to a semblance of round - and never lost any air. We had 4 adults
and 1000 lbs of supplies in a 1967 Peugeot 204 "break" on the way up,
and 3 adults on the way back - - .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The former is low/normal, the latter unheard of. Lucky boy!

[...]

I've had best luck with Bridgestone tires, good luck with Cooper and
some noname WallyWorld import (Pinto and F150), and blase' luck with
Goodyear, Michelin, Goodrich. If I've ever owned Uniroyals, Dunlops,
Pirellis, or Firestones, I don't recall. And I've soitenly never
owned a Zambian tire of any brand. g

[...]

Those are some wow stories, clare. I'll bet your glass stays full at
the pub. "You asked what that hammer was doing in the back seat? It's
my Peugeot wheel sledge." You have much better tire squaring stories
than I do.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Bridgestone owns Firestome.

[...]

Those are just a few of many "zamfix" stories I could tell - about
VWs, Peugeots, boats, Toyota busses, landies, and all kinds of other
strange contraptions

And then there's the Canadian ones involving old minis and Vauxhauls
and Fargos and Rovers and Toyotas - and Fords breaking down in
Michigam - and fixing vehicles in Burkina.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Amazing, isn't it?

[...]

Ayup.

And then there's the Canadian ones involving old minis and Vauxhauls
and Fargos and Rovers and Toyotas - and Fords breaking down in
Michigam - and fixing vehicles in Burkina.

That sounds like a couple of interesting books to me, and I'm serious
about that. Let me know when you need proofreaders. Got pics?

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.amazon.com/Congo-Kitabu-.../dp/B0007FG5TI
"f I had to pick the man who had the most interesting life on this
planet, Jean-Pierre Hallet would be at the top of my list."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 06:57:15 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Your nom de plume? I'll check it out.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 06:57:15 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaque
https://www.amazon.com/Congo-Kitabu-.../dp/B0007FG5TI
"f I had to pick the man who had the most interesting life on this
planet, Jean-Pierre Hallet would be at the top of my list."

RE nom de plume: Oops, wrong Pete.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not many. I do have a couple of the '49 beetle laying on it's side in
the front tard on Makoma Road with the nose of the trans pulled off to
fix the broken shift fork. Didn't get any of the spline stripped out
of the rear drum, or cutting the drum from a mid-sixties bug down to
fit with a hack-saw and cold chisel - - -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That sounds like a couple of interesting books to me, and I'm serious
about that. Let me know when you need proofreaders. Got pics?

Not many. I do have a couple of the '49 beetle laying on it's side in
the front tard on Makoma Road with the nose of the trans pulled off to
fix the broken shift fork.

Got a free Box account or somewhere else to post 'em? I just realized
that I don't have any pictures of building the Javelin 390, either.
Hermitic lifestyle.

They are 40+ year old ectachromes - - -

Didn't get any of the spline stripped out
of the rear drum, or cutting the drum from a mid-sixties bug down to
fit with a hack-saw and cold chisel - - -

Oh, what fun you must have had!

Almost as much fun as putting the fergy tractor sleave into a Landi
engine that threw the top end of a rod out through the side of the
bore.

Or getting carb icing and vapour lock on the '49 beetle on the same
trip - within about 50 miles.

Or having the heads fall off a VW Variant (Suitcase engine) on the
first day of holidays

Or scrambling a CV joint on a VW412 in the middle of traffic in
Lusaka, and changing it laying in the gutter with 2 wheels on the
kerb. - or having the bonnet latch let go at about 80MPH on a long
level stretch of gravel road and seeing the bonnet WAY up in the air
in the rear view mirror before it swooshed back down to the road.
Never hit the windsheild OR the roof - just took off like a Titan 2.

Or the day the hood latch let go on a '64 Rambler American on a test
drive. I saw it come up, hit the brakes, and it went right back down
and latched - not a scratch!!!

Or my brother blowing the clutch line on the Rover TC downshifting for
the hill coming across the French River bridge. He missed the shif and
we were "dead in the water". I rolled it back crosswise on the road,
put it in low, started it up and drove all the way up to the fishing
camp on the west arm of Lake Nippising, and all the way back to
kitchener with no clutch.

Or driving the "Fabedougou Expressway" with a Prado, or on a Honda
Elsinore 250 - without a map. (the "fabedoughou Expressway" is the
stretch of single-track that goes from "the domes" (look it up on
Google) to the village of Fabedougou -if you don't know where it goes,
you could end up in Mali or the Ivory Coast and never find Fabe!!) The
bike trail to Banfora is a challenge too - particularly for a then 50
year old who hadn't ridden a trail bike for almost 30 years!!

Yes, it's definitely been an interesting 65 years - particularly the
last 50 - - - .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That sounds like a couple of interesting books to me, and I'm serious
about that. Let me know when you need proofreaders. Got pics?

Not many. I do have a couple of the '49 beetle laying on it's side in
the front tard on Makoma Road with the nose of the trans pulled off to
fix the broken shift fork.

Got a free Box account or somewhere else to post 'em? I just realized
that I don't have any pictures of building the Javelin 390, either.
Hermitic lifestyle.

They are 40+ year old ectachromes - - -

So scan 'em and Photoshop those fine old pieces of history.

Didn't get any of the spline stripped out
of the rear drum, or cutting the drum from a mid-sixties bug down to
fit with a hack-saw and cold chisel - - -

Oh, what fun you must have had!

Almost as much fun as putting the fergy tractor sleave into a Landi
engine that threw the top end of a rod out through the side of the
bore.

Or getting carb icing and vapour lock on the '49 beetle on the same
trip - within about 50 miles.

Holy Spit, Batman! You soitenly wasn't holding your mouth right.

Or having the heads fall off a VW Variant (Suitcase engine) on the
first day of holidays

That's an owner error. I've heard VWs running up the road with the
heads bouncing 1/2" off the barrels the whole time. Then I see the
owner pump the brakes twelve times and barely stop. And that was only
when they weren't sitting on the side of the road engulfed in flames.
Owners forgot to replace that 2" flex line between the fuel line and
carb. About the sixth time I saw it happen, it had become commonplace
to me. And don't even get me started on that mind-numbing high-
frequency shriek from the damnable exhaust systems. Ayieeeeeeeeeee!

Or scrambling a CV joint on a VW412 in the middle of traffic in
Lusaka, and changing it laying in the gutter with 2 wheels on the
kerb. - or having the bonnet latch let go at about 80MPH on a long
level stretch of gravel road and seeing the bonnet WAY up in the air
in the rear view mirror before it swooshed back down to the road.
Never hit the windsheild OR the roof - just took off like a Titan 2.

Whee!

Or the day the hood latch let go on a '64 Rambler American on a test
drive. I saw it come up, hit the brakes, and it went right back down
and latched - not a scratch!!!

Aha! Proper mouth positioning.

[...]

I’ve long been passionate about protecting and expanding democracy,
which is really the only viable mechanism to preserve liberty and
distribute power from kings to the rest of us.
--George Farah

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

When it sputtered to a stop due to vapour lock, I'd just spill a bit
of gas onto the fuel pump by pulling the hose loose - the evaporation
cooled the pump, and away we'd go. As the altitude increased and
temperature dropped a bit the car would loose power again - and when I
opened the engine cover the carb and early unheated manifold were
white with frost - with the carb a rapidly melting ball of ice.
Had exactly the same issues on at least 3 trips - over the same route.
Same road where I stripped the spline out of the drum

Or having the heads fall off a VW Variant (Suitcase engine) on the
first day of holidays

That's an owner error. I've heard VWs running up the road with the
heads bouncing 1/2" off the barrels the whole time. Then I see the
owner pump the brakes twelve times and barely stop. And that was only
when they weren't sitting on the side of the road engulfed in flames.
Owners forgot to replace that 2" flex line between the fuel line and
carb. About the sixth time I saw it happen, it had become commonplace
to me. And don't even get me started on that mind-numbing high-
frequency shriek from the damnable exhaust systems. Ayieeeeeeeeeee!

My 49 didn't have any high frequenct exhaust note - most of the time I
had it it had a landi driveshaft tube for a muffler with a landi fuel
filler neck for a tail pipe, connected to the head pipes with plumbing
fittings.
Easy to get rid of the shreik in any case - just remove or gut the
resonator pipes.

In Africa it was not uncommon for the case studs to pull out of the
crancase, letting the cyls droop and the heads to drop off due to
repeated temperature cycling and high temperatures. The heads had been
accurately retorqued and the valves ajusted less than 50 miles prior
to starting the trip.
It was a borrowed car too - belonged to a British neighbor who had
just replaced it with a Volvo and offered it to us to use because the
car we WERE going to use died about 10 miles short of half way from
Lusaka to Livingstone. The heads came loose about 10 miles short of
half way going the other direction

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Almost as much fun as putting the fergy tractor sleave into a Landi
engine that threw the top end of a rod out through the side of the
bore.

Or getting carb icing and vapour lock on the '49 beetle on the same
trip - within about 50 miles.

Holy Spit, Batman! You soitenly wasn't holding your mouth right.

When it sputtered to a stop due to vapour lock, I'd just spill a bit
of gas onto the fuel pump by pulling the hose loose - the evaporation
cooled the pump, and away we'd go. As the altitude increased and
temperature dropped a bit the car would loose power again - and when I
opened the engine cover the carb and early unheated manifold were
white with frost - with the carb a rapidly melting ball of ice.
Had exactly the same issues on at least 3 trips - over the same route.

No comment.

[...]

The problem was that nobody who drove one cared. They could barely
hear it, if at all.

In Africa it was not uncommon for the case studs to pull out of the
crancase, letting the cyls droop and the heads to drop off due to
repeated temperature cycling and high temperatures. The heads had been
accurately retorqued and the valves ajusted less than 50 miles prior
to starting the trip.

Cherman engineering at its finest!

It was a borrowed car too - belonged to a British neighbor who had
just replaced it with a Volvo and offered it to us to use because the
car we WERE going to use died about 10 miles short of half way from
Lusaka to Livingstone. The heads came loose about 10 miles short of
half way going the other direction

Did you ever get the feeling that you just weren't supposed to take
that trip, clare? wow!

[...]

Aren't memories great? I can't imagine how less-creative people put
up without them.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my
job is as simple as translating his words into numbers.
Mick Mulvaney, Director OMB on Trump
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Yes, we hitched a ride to Lusaka and never did get to the Luangua
Valley