Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The SKS Rifle, Reportedly Used in Virginia Mass Shooting, Is NotAn 'AK Variant'

On 6/19/2017 10:31 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 1:09:45 AM UTC-4, PaxPerPoten wrote:
On 6/19/2017 10:31 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/19/2017 05:15 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
There have been good arguments for infantry rifle calibers from .223
(5.56mm) to .45. (11mm). 6mm through 8mm were the most common choices.
The preference has varied with who and where we were fighting, with
lighter, handier weapons in smaller calibers which allow larger
numbers of shots carried per man better within villages and heavier
long-range cartridges better in the open fields between them.

Horses for courses. Unfortunately the military tends to be fighting the
last war and will send troops armed with M4's up against Afghans armed
with old battle rifles that can reach out and touch someone.

I agree. Nothing beats a close charging enemy down better then a 1911A1
.45 caliber...

sob And just a few months ago, you called the .45 ACP a "wimp."

, Or maybe a 12 gauge trench sweeper. For Range and stopping
power the tried and true 30-06 does well. .303 and .308 aren't too bad
either. I do have a soft spot for the .50 Barrette/Stoner/whatever.

You're not supposed to hold it against the top of your head, fer chrissake...

But
to haul that big ******* around can't be fun. I had a .475 Weatherbee
that was the cats meow, but it was a bolt and was not gentle. If it
didn't hit them, the sound, scared them to death. ;-p

OH, shades of the .410 goose gun! This is going to be good. Tell us about your ".475 Weatherbee" sic Pox. Did you handload for it, or did you shoot Weatherbee sic factory loads? d8-)

Poxed PeePee is an idiot. There's nothing else to say about him.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guns are one of those subjects that really separate those who know from the bull****ters. It also seems to be a subject area that attracts a lot of bull****ters.

I have to wonder about Pox's exposure to guns. Where I grew up, any of my 12-year-old friends would have known that most of what he says about guns is bull****. For example, Weatherby never made a .475. Neither did Weatherbee.. d8-). "Hard-hitting" .32 Navy Colt Revolvers (which didn't exist, either) would have been a dead giveaway.

If he's going to bull**** about something, guns are a bad subject choice with this crowd. Some of the people here forgot more than he'll ever learn -- when they were 14 years old.

--
Ed Huntress