Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sure glad I checked !

My old freebie Homelite chainsaw has worn the hole where the starter
rope comes out pretty badly and today when a sharp edge sliced my
almost-new starter rope in two I decided maybe I should address the
problem . I was going to fire up the TIG welder , but decided because
the piece is so light to test it and see if it's magmesium - and it is ,
vinegar bubbled vigorously when I put a few drops on it . So now it has
a brass bushing glued in there with some JB quick weld . Not too many
years ago I wouldn't have checked , and most likely would have burned my
shop to the ground when I lit up on that piece . I learned the vinegar
test here ...

--

Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 13:55:45 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

My old freebie Homelite chainsaw has worn the hole where the starter
rope comes out pretty badly and today when a sharp edge sliced my
almost-new starter rope in two I decided maybe I should address the
problem . I was going to fire up the TIG welder , but decided because
the piece is so light to test it and see if it's magmesium - and it is ,
vinegar bubbled vigorously when I put a few drops on it . So now it has
a brass bushing glued in there with some JB quick weld . Not too many
years ago I wouldn't have checked , and most likely would have burned my
shop to the ground when I lit up on that piece . I learned the vinegar
test here ...

--

Snag

Your TIG welder would not have ignited the casting because of the
argon gas doing its job of keeping oxygen from the HAZ. I've burned
lots of magnesium. Solid pieces, as compared to chips from milling, do
no ignite easily. Once burning though water makes it burn even better,
which is why I have burned so much magnesium.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The thing is that I sometimes move the torch off before things have
cooled ... I'm still learning about TIG welding and haven't built an
ingrained pattern . Sure as I'd lit up on that I'd have burned it . And
I only have one ... bought another identical saw for parts , but gave it
to my son because he "needed a chainsaw and couldn't afford one" . He
promptly broke it .

--

Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And then he threw it away because it was "broken"? - so now you still
don't have any spare parts -. Kids....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/11/2017 7:43 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 16:18:06 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No , he still has it . Thinks I'm going to fix it for him . Ain't
happenin' . I did get mine running , just needs a very light touch-up
with the file . That's got all 3 saws ready for some major wood cutting
, and I better get busy . I spent too much time on other stuff because I
thought I had plenty of wood to get into this year's early winter . That
was not the case , and if I don't get off my butt I'll be behind all
this winter and burning green wood . Ain't gonna be as well seasoned as
I like as it is ...

--

Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yup. Water breaks down into hydrogen and oxygen at 5432 deg
F. ;)
Easy number to remember.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 13:55:45 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

My old freebie Homelite chainsaw has worn the hole where the starter
rope comes out pretty badly and today when a sharp edge sliced my
almost-new starter rope in two I decided maybe I should address the
problem . I was going to fire up the TIG welder , but decided because
the piece is so light to test it and see if it's magmesium - and it is ,
vinegar bubbled vigorously when I put a few drops on it . So now it has
a brass bushing glued in there with some JB quick weld . Not too many
years ago I wouldn't have checked , and most likely would have burned my
shop to the ground when I lit up on that piece .

Right, it is difficult for one person at the same time to both work and watch to make sure no fires start.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news

I did that on Monday . Cut , split , and stacked a ~60 foot
white oak , was about 16" diameter at the base . Yield was over a
rick (standard 4x4x4 rick , not the "face rick" some up here sell)
... I'm so glad the wife understood why I wanted to drop 500 bucks
on a gas powered log splitter ! Made what would have been 3-4
lonnnnngg days of swingin' a maul into about 2-3 hours work .

--
Snag

Tell her that's a good deal on one that works.

Mine cost $200, the value of the new but defective engine. The rest
was worn out and needed all new seals ($40) and a new pump ($110).
The engine problem was simply a leaky carb float.
-jsw

Glad I checked! DerbyBorn[_4_] UK diy 20 April 20th 13 04:22 PM
A Schmuck for sure... - A Schmuck for sure.jpg Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 7 June 17th 08 02:53 PM
Who and how to I call to have internal gas lines checked for tiny leaks ? Fred Atlas Home Repair 7 November 3rd 05 01:04 PM
Tripped outdoor GFI outlet won't reset? Checked the usual suspects... Julian Home Ownership 4 April 12th 05 10:12 PM
Whirlpool washer won't spin *already checked sites* paul Home Repair 4 May 15th 04 03:43 PM