Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another neat tool, this one US based!

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 5:30:08 PM UTC-4, Jon Anderson wrote:
Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

Jon

---

Nice! I definitely could use one of those pretty often. Just today, however, I found myself needing a square with a narrower base, Made do by slipping a parallel between the square and the work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 07:30:02 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

Jon

---

How much????

Blink blink............blink

Ive made those by simply bolting on wider plates to a standard Starret
or other brand square.

Silver soldered some D2 flats to one as I recall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

Now...I dont know what the exchange rate is...but $170 Oz could be $35
US

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

Now...I dont know what the exchange rate is...but $170 Oz could be $35
US

Not QUITE that bad - The OZ dollar is pretty close to the Can-Buck -
at about 73 cents US
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

The price may double to $340 after they have patented it. Go buy it now
before it skyrockets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

Now...I dont know what the exchange rate is...but $170 Oz could be $35
US

Another strike out. US$170 Australian is worth about $127 US

--
Cheers,

Schweik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/06/2017 9:05 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

You are not fabricating for a living, day in and day out, so your
assessment of it's value is meaningless in my world. As noted in
another, post, anything really worth anything, costs a bundle here.
It's hard to find a combo square here even approaching what I consider
decent quality. $35 will get you a soft aluminum square head with a
cheap blade. Figure $50 for anything halfway reasonable.
Moore and Wright, now you're talking quality. And $$.
Could probably have saved something having it shipped to my mom in
Calif. So shipping there. Then mom, in her 80's has to repackage, go to
the post office and ship to me. She's not getting around so well, and
that all would probably have take 2+ weeks minimum. And there's the
exchange rate...

I'm just glad I have all the really expensive shop tooling already, no
way in hell I could retool a shop at AU prices, on my salary.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/06/2017 8:12 AM, rangerssuck wrote:

Nice! I definitely could use one of those pretty often. Just today,
however, I found myself needing a square with a narrower base, Made
do by slipping a parallel between the square and the work.

Glad -someone- sees some value in it...
I use it every day and it definitely make my job easier.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

Looks like ~$70 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=LaSquare

and ~$80 via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LaSquare-Mach...dp/B01E0J7496/

Maybe Banggood has a knock-off version

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 18:24:22 +1000
Jon Anderson wrote:

On 6/06/2017 8:12 AM, rangerssuck wrote:

Nice! I definitely could use one of those pretty often. Just today,
however, I found myself needing a square with a narrower base, Made
do by slipping a parallel between the square and the work.

Glad -someone- sees some value in it...
I use it every day and it definitely make my job easier.

I've seen this before in welding videos (Jody's). Never checked the
price just kind of made a mental note in case the need came up...

Have you poked around at Banggood? Unless you get hit with some sort of
duty tax you can get Harbor Freight kind of cheapo stuff there. Usually
free shipping out of China. They have a few regular squares but not a
wide base model. The reviews suck (on the squares), say they are out of
align but depending on what you want it for it might not matter. I used
one of those cheapo models for re-shingling the roof. Worked great as an
adjustable spacer. Sure wouldn't want to use a Starrett for that job ;-)
For some examples see:

https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-R...el-c-5329.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

Now...I dont know what the exchange rate is...but $170 Oz could be $35
US

Another strike out. US$170 Australian is worth about $127 US

Might as well be $127,000 for a guy who's behind on his rent.

On the other hand, one would think that anybody who's "considering"
$600 jeans would want one of those squares in each pocket.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

Looks like ~$70 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=LaSquare

and ~$80 via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LaSquare-Mach...dp/B01E0J7496/

$52.95 ($45 + $7.95 US s/h) from Hand-Eye Supply in Portland.
https://www.handeyesupply.com/blogs/...s-combo-square

Maybe Banggood has a knock-off version

With an extra 20 degrees of free movement at no extra charge.

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 10:03:09 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 18:24:22 +1000
Jon Anderson wrote:

[...]

While you're shopping Asia, check in with Alibaba.com, as well.

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Forget where I first saw this, so pardon me if it was posted here first.
Anyone that does a lot of fabricating with need to transfer scribe marks
on adjacent faces will appreciate this. Cost me $170 with shipping from
an AU distributor, but I have found it well worth the investment.
http://lasquares.com/

That would have been a great deal at $25, but $170? That's pure BS.
It's not like it's a precision instrument which could warrant that
price. Sheesh. A little handier, but not that much.

Looks like ~$70 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=LaSquare

and ~$80 via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/LaSquare-Mach...dp/B01E0J7496/

$52.95 ($45 + $7.95 US s/h) from Hand-Eye Supply in Portland.
https://www.handeyesupply.com/blogs/...s-combo-square

A friend told me that MSC has it for $67 but I couldn't force their website
to admit that. Why is mcmaster's site soooo good, and msc and grainger's
sites soooo bad when it comes to searching?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

****ing hell, last Goddam time I post an Australian price in this group.
Don't really give a **** what it costs there. I had a need and bought
it. If I had a problem with price, I wouldn't have, period.
I have a hardened and ground Starrett set, among my very first tools of
the trade purchased in 1976. Don't want to be using that in a welding
environment. Needed something better than the POS bought at the local
hardware store when I started working here and all my tools were still
in the States.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/06/2017 12:03 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Have you poked around at Banggood? Unless you get hit with some sort of
duty tax you can get Harbor Freight kind of cheapo stuff there. Usually
free shipping out of China. They have a few regular squares but not a
wide base model. The reviews suck (on the squares), say they are out of
align but depending on what you want it for it might not matter.

I didn't bother shopping around, but I don't mind paying for quality.
And as I've mentioned more than once, anything of real quality here is
$$$. I only buy cheap import stuff when there's no anticipated long term
use. As in, likely just use once.
btw, duty kicks in at a grand right now, though there is some talk about
applying it to all overseas purchases...

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 13:20:36 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

****ing hell, last Goddam time I post an Australian price in this group.
Don't really give a **** what it costs there. I had a need and bought
it. If I had a problem with price, I wouldn't have, period.
I have a hardened and ground Starrett set, among my very first tools of
the trade purchased in 1976. Don't want to be using that in a welding
environment. Needed something better than the POS bought at the local
hardware store when I started working here and all my tools were still
in the States.

Jon

---

Joh...everybody is simply in shock from the price you paid. They
really dont comprehend that many things we consider to be normal
price...are way..way..way over priced in Oz. Now I might add...I
dont have a clue WHY things are so freaking overpriced down there.

Its not like its being shipped via trimarine galley filled with
slaves at the oars.
Im sure there is some reason for it....blink blink....but none of us
can understand it.

Its not personal, no one is holding it against you. Its just shocking
as hell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/06/2017 3:48 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Jon...everybody is simply in shock from the price you paid. They
really dont comprehend that many things we consider to be normal
price...are way..way..way over priced in Oz. Now I might add...I
dont have a clue WHY things are so freaking overpriced down there.

Its not like its being shipped via trimarine galley filled with
slaves at the oars.
Im sure there is some reason for it....blink blink....but none of us
can understand it.

Its not personal, no one is holding it against you. Its just shocking
as hell.

Yeah, I realized by the time I got back to work from lunch that I'd
taken it personal. I wonder how many in the States really appreciate how
good they have it. NOTHING like McMaster here. Blackwoods can't hold a
candle to MSC. I have not a clue at the moment where to buy 6061. Sigh.

Wages play a part. Minimum adult wage is something just over $18/hr I
believe. Penalty rates (extra) for weekends. Limited market. Hell, all
of Australia, which is comparable to US in area, has a smaller
population that the legal population of Calif. Smaller market, lesser
sales might play a part. Wonder how long my square sat on the shelf...
BTW, it was $150 or so, with $20 shipping. As I had it in 2 days, I
found that reasonable for here.

And this bit comes from an Aussie I worked with at my last job, he said
it's the Aussie way to put the screws to people and get as much $$ as
possible. That, I'm sure was said with a bit of satire, but would help
explain the differences in prices. Well, at least one of my favorite
magazines, VMX (vintage MX) and my favorite beer, Coopers Pale Ale are
cheaper here... lol

Apologies to all for over reacting.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 7/06/2017 3:48 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Yeah, I realized by the time I got back to work from lunch that I'd
taken it personal. I wonder how many in the States really appreciate
how good they have it. NOTHING like McMaster here. Blackwoods can't
hold a candle to MSC. I have not a clue at the moment where to buy
6061. Sigh.

There have been many complaints in r.c.m about how difficult it is to
buy tools and material elsewhere. A Brit expat told me that
metalworking as a hobby is considered a sign of insanity in Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_engineering
"Model engineering is most popular in the industrialised countries
that have an engineering heritage extending back to the days of steam
power. That is, it is a pursuit principally found in the UK, USA,
northwestern European countries and the industrialised British
Commonwealth countries."

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...or-a-curiosity
"Whenever I travel abroad, I always ask the locals about woodworking
as a hobby. More times than naught, I hear that building furniture for
fun is about as popular as do-it-yourself knee surgery."

"It is difficult for many of us in the U.S. to truly appreciate what
*doing* stuff does to us. We learn to fix bicycles at a very young
age; we learn to pull engines from cars, and make the animals work; we
even modify them to make them animals of brute force, all at quite a
young age."

A WW2 British account of American commandos in Burma expressed
amazement at the range of skills our common soldiers possessed or
rapidly learned, from handling mules to learning how to use artillery,
neither of which British infantry (he claimed) would touch. Other
armies had to train recruits to become drivers, a skill practically
any American already knew. The Air Corps ordnance company my father
commanded made a refrigeration compressor out of a Jeep motor, to cool
their beer in the New Guinea jungle heat.

I look for evidence that the Industrial Revolution might have arisen
anywhere, the raw ability is worldwide, but was suppressed by social
pressure that gentlemen don't do menial work, or too-frequent wars.
Britain was relatively stable and more tolerant of eccentric behavior.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/only-in-b...entric-people/

Despite the primitive conditions here, the new USA was only slightly
behind Britain in mechanical innovation.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/6/2017 10:26 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 7/06/2017 12:03 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Have you poked around at Banggood? Unless you get hit with some sort of
duty tax you can get Harbor Freight kind of cheapo stuff there. Usually
free shipping out of China. They have a few regular squares but not a
wide base model. The reviews suck (on the squares), say they are out of
align but depending on what you want it for it might not matter.

I didn't bother shopping around, but I don't mind paying for quality.
And as I've mentioned more than once, anything of real quality here is
$$$. I only buy cheap import stuff when there's no anticipated long term
use. As in, likely just use once.
btw, duty kicks in at a grand right now, though there is some talk about
applying it to all overseas purchases...

Jon

The way I learned to draw line around a tube is to wrap a regular
8-1/2" x 11" paper around the pipe, align the edges and tape it. Then
draw your pencil line on the edge of the paper. For bigger tube just
tape more pieces of paper together, Aligned.
Used it a lot when I needed a square edge on 3", 4" and 6" thinwall
aluminum tube.
Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/7/2017 6:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 7/06/2017 3:48 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Yeah, I realized by the time I got back to work from lunch that I'd
taken it personal. I wonder how many in the States really appreciate
how good they have it. NOTHING like McMaster here. Blackwoods can't
hold a candle to MSC. I have not a clue at the moment where to buy
6061. Sigh.

There have been many complaints in r.c.m about how difficult it is to
buy tools and material elsewhere. A Brit expat told me that
metalworking as a hobby is considered a sign of insanity in Spain.

-jsw

Several years ago another member of the metal casting group I read
came from Oz to Memphis on a business trip . When he returned he took
with him a complete set of the Gingery shop books - shipping and other
fees would have quadrupled the original cost . The only proviso was that
he share with other hobbyists down there . I wonder where they are now ...

--

Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/06/2017 10:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Several years ago another member of the metal casting group I read
came from Oz to Memphis on a business trip . When he returned he took
with him a complete set of the Gingery shop books - shipping and other
fees would have quadrupled the original cost . The only proviso was that
he share with other hobbyists down there . I wonder where they are now ...

When I packed up for the move, I had a technical library of over 250
books. Brought less than half, and got a pittance for the ones I sold.
Didn't have time to list them all on eBay, so wholesaled them out to a
book seller. Get down here and find such books bring big bucks.
Shoulda boxed and shipped them all down. Sigh...

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/06/2017 9:35 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

There have been many complaints in r.c.m about how difficult it is to
buy tools and material elsewhere. A Brit expat told me that
metalworking as a hobby is considered a sign of insanity in Spain.

Wow. Talk about a different mind set. I grew up watching my dad repair
almost anything, and while not having a mill or lathe, nonetheless, made
an amazing array of stuff. Making and fixing things was just the reality
I grew up with.

A WW2 British account of American commandos in Burma expressed
amazement at the range of skills our common soldiers possessed or
rapidly learned, from handling mules to learning how to use artillery,
neither of which British infantry (he claimed) would touch. Other
armies had to train recruits to become drivers, a skill practically
any American already knew. The Air Corps ordnance company my father
commanded made a refrigeration compressor out of a Jeep motor, to cool
their beer in the New Guinea jungle heat.

Good ol' Yankee ingenuity!

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 7/06/2017 10:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Several years ago another member of the metal casting group I read
came from Oz to Memphis on a business trip . When he returned he
took with him a complete set of the Gingery shop books - shipping
and other fees would have quadrupled the original cost . The only
proviso was that he share with other hobbyists down there . I
wonder where they are now ...

When I packed up for the move, I had a technical library of over 250
books. Brought less than half, and got a pittance for the ones I
sold.
Didn't have time to list them all on eBay, so wholesaled them out to
a book seller. Get down here and find such books bring big bucks.
Shoulda boxed and shipped them all down. Sigh...

Jon

I quickly learned not to order these directly when they came in at
nearly twice the listed price:
http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books...actice-series/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

The British author was especially impressed that the world's most
mechanized nation could find 800 qualified mule drivers among 3000
troops.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill%27s_Marauders
It doesn't mention that they had no ground supply line and depended
entirely on air drops into jungle clearings, proving we could operate
effectively that way as well as with our usual massive logistical
support.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:06:17 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I wonder how many in the States really appreciate how
good they have it. NOTHING like McMaster here.

Some things are more important than having the cheapest goods, which
are generally imports in the US anyway.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...the_world.html
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...ntries-n684851
https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/

And this bit comes from an Aussie I worked with at my last job, he said it's the Aussie way to put the screws to people and get as much $$ as
possible.

Deep, man. Have Wieber write him a manual on how a "successful"
American solves that problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 23:10:42 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 7/06/2017 10:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Several years ago another member of the metal casting group I read
came from Oz to Memphis on a business trip . When he returned he took
with him a complete set of the Gingery shop books - shipping and other
fees would have quadrupled the original cost . The only proviso was that
he share with other hobbyists down there . I wonder where they are now ...

When I packed up for the move, I had a technical library of over 250
books. Brought less than half, and got a pittance for the ones I sold.
Didn't have time to list them all on eBay, so wholesaled them out to a
book seller. Get down here and find such books bring big bucks.
Shoulda boxed and shipped them all down. Sigh...

Jon

We have "book rate" shipping here in the US as you may remember....not
sure what equiv shipping for books would be to Oz...but if you can
find cheap ways of shipping books...Id be happy to help send you
stuff.

Or give me a list and I can probably find it in Ebook format and email
em to you.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 06:57:31 -0500, amdx wrote:

[...]

A Google search on "Curvomark" will show what most pipe welders and a
lot of us field guys use

https://www.pces.uk.com/products/pip...k-wrap-around/

Works well for any shape you can wrap it around. Cheap too.

You can make your own with a paper cutter and a good piece of flexible
and tough sheeting.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/06/2017 12:36 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

We have "book rate" shipping here in the US as you may remember....not
sure what equiv shipping for books would be to Oz...but if you can
find cheap ways of shipping books...Id be happy to help send you
stuff.

Or give me a list and I can probably find it in Ebook format and email
em to you.

I brought all the ones I thought most relevant, and have been collecting
Ebooks as well. No bookrates for overseas.... Right now Mom sends me
stuff now and then that's collected, and eventually my brother will take
this over. But do appreciate the offer!

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/06/2017 11:33 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I quickly learned not to order these directly when they came in at
nearly twice the listed price:
http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books...actice-series/

UK/US exchange rate isn't favorable for the US! Even worse buying from
AU. I have a couple of those, bought used.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 22:43:25 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

.. .

================================================= =============

A friend told me that MSC has it for $67 but I couldn't force their website
to admit that. Why is mcmaster's site soooo good, and msc and grainger's
sites soooo bad when it comes to searching?

Because McMaster paid a pro to build their website. MSC and Grainger
obviously used young clerks (or 9 year olds) to build theirs.

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

****ing hell, last Goddam time I post an Australian price in this group.

Sensitive much? ducking

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 05:31:10 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 7/06/2017 11:33 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I quickly learned not to order these directly when they came in at
nearly twice the listed price:
http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books...actice-series/

UK/US exchange rate isn't favorable for the US! Even worse buying from
AU. I have a couple of those, bought used.

The price of the Pound Sterling is way down from what it used to be,
so I don't know why you think it's so disfavorable. The Pound was
close to $2 when I was growing up, and it's down to $1.30 now.
The Euro is down from $1.40 to $1.13 now, too, so we can buy
Muslim-made Euro garbage for less money. ;-/

As far back as I can remember, the AUD has been lower than the USD and
shipping has always been extraordinarily high between our two
countries. $12 subscriptions costs $100 for a US magazine to be
delivered for a year to AU, and vice versa. Just crazy!

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/06/2017 10:43 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What are they charging to replace the simple shaft seal in the comp,
Jon? I replaced many when I worked in Phoenix that summer. If you
find someone who'd love to do it but doesn't have the tool, import the
tool for the job and trade it to him for the labor/parts. You might
find one from Ali/Bang. A/C tools aren't cheap, but they're a helluva
lot cheaper non-AU than in-AU, I'm sure. It's a simple 2-stage
threaded puller. Or DIY and have it evacuated and recharged at a
cheap(er) shop. http://tinyurl.com/y9fn6uue

The very slow leak is only part of the issue. It's only pumping at about
70% efficiency, that was 2 years ago. On scorching hot days after it's
been parked, I'll drive a ways with the windows down to purge hot air.
When I finally start getting really cold air out of the vent, then roll
the windows up. Besides, want a ute so not spending any $$ I don't have
to. Wife's Grand Vitara, a year older, offers nice cold air within
seconds, so I don't down mine is worn. (AC gets a lot of use here in the
summer!)

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/06/2017 10:52 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I switched to generic brands decades ago. Currently $2.49 vs $4.59
for Best Foods, which I don't particularly like. Or are you talking
the half/whole gallon size when you say "big"?

Well Best Foods is my favorite hands down. There's two brands locally
that were OK with me until I found my fav at Costco. I have no trouble
with generics so long as I find the quality on par or better. And some
generics are better. And it's the 2 quart (oops, 1.9 liter) size.
Newman's Own is available locally, a tiny jar is somewhere around $7, so
the Costo Best Foods really is a bargain.

Excellent! I just received my very first in-town ad for Harbor
Freight. Y'know the a/c cord ends I just bought there last week @
$2.99? They're now on sale at $1.99.

Isn't that always the way?

Jon