Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Craftsman's Legacy

This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from scratch.

Anyway, it's pretty good show; you can join the network for free and watch streaming shows online. The website is a little messy but it's worth spending a little time with it. They have shows on metal casting, various kinds of woodwork, long rifles, watch making, and so on. Check it out:

http://www.craftsmanslegacy.com/

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 8:42:26 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

Why would you want to leave, you're on a tropical island with Mary Ann!

Mikek

+10!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/3/2017 8:55 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 8:42:26 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

Why would you want to leave, you're on a tropical island with Mary Ann!

Mikek

+10!

Plus she likes to toke...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshot...ion/dawn-wells
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 18:58:30 +0700,
wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 18:28:20 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 8:58:11 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:54:26 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 2:43:43 PM UTC-4, PAS wrote:
On 6/2/2017 1:41 PM, Molten Baby wrote:
On 06/02/2017 10:15 AM,
wrote:
This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about
craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a
local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from
Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from
scratch.

The Professor, on Gilligan's Island, could make anything! Couldn't fix
the boat, though.

But he had to make everything out of coconuts which, obviously, weren't
seaworthy enough to fix the boat.

They're really hard to glue into planks. g

My dad, who fought in the South Pacific, said you don't want to try to cut down a coconut palm, either.

Why not? Palm wood isn't partuicularly hard.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From what he said, they were rubbery and resistant to an axe. That's what they had to cut them. Mostly they used the logs to cover their foxholes at Guadalcanal.

Interesting. I know that palm lumber has no heart or sap wood and the
wood is referred to as "fibrous" which would probably make them a bit
hard to chop down.

Royal Palm is very hard to cut and very rot resistant.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about
craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a
local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from
Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from
scratch.

The Professor, on Gilligan's Island, could make anything! Couldn't fix
the boat, though.

But he had to make everything out of coconuts which, obviously, weren't
seaworthy enough to fix the boat.

They're really hard to glue into planks. g

My dad, who fought in the South Pacific, said you don't want to try to cut down a coconut palm, either.

Why not? Palm wood isn't partuicularly hard.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From what he said, they were rubbery and resistant to an axe. That's what they had to cut them. Mostly they used the logs to cover their foxholes at Guadalcanal.

Interesting. I know that palm lumber has no heart or sap wood and the
wood is referred to as "fibrous" which would probably make them a bit
hard to chop down.

Royal Palm is very hard to cut and very rot resistant.

Probably not a lot of Royal Palms growing in the South Pacafic.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about
craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a
local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from
Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from
scratch.

The Professor, on Gilligan's Island, could make anything! Couldn't fix
the boat, though.

But he had to make everything out of coconuts which, obviously, weren't
seaworthy enough to fix the boat.

They're really hard to glue into planks. g

My dad, who fought in the South Pacific, said you don't want to try to cut down a coconut palm, either.

Why not? Palm wood isn't partuicularly hard.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From what he said, they were rubbery and resistant to an axe. That's what they had to cut them. Mostly they used the logs to cover their foxholes at Guadalcanal.

Interesting. I know that palm lumber has no heart or sap wood and the
wood is referred to as "fibrous" which would probably make them a bit
hard to chop down.

Royal Palm is very hard to cut and very rot resistant.

Probably not a lot of Royal Palms growing in the South Pacafic.

Very common in West Africa and along all the slave routes in Africa
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about
craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a
local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from
Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from
scratch.

The Professor, on Gilligan's Island, could make anything! Couldn't fix
the boat, though.

But he had to make everything out of coconuts which, obviously, weren't
seaworthy enough to fix the boat.

They're really hard to glue into planks. g

My dad, who fought in the South Pacific, said you don't want to try to cut down a coconut palm, either.

Why not? Palm wood isn't partuicularly hard.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From what he said, they were rubbery and resistant to an axe. That's what they had to cut them. Mostly they used the logs to cover their foxholes at Guadalcanal.

Interesting. I know that palm lumber has no heart or sap wood and the
wood is referred to as "fibrous" which would probably make them a bit
hard to chop down.
Royal Palm is very hard to cut and very rot resistant.

Probably not a lot of Royal Palms growing in the South Pacafic.

Very common in West Africa and along all the slave routes in Africa

Its tough to really say, because no one really knows when slave routes there began. Its like they've always been there. A few even to today.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about
craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a
local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from
Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from
scratch.

The Professor, on Gilligan's Island, could make anything! Couldn't fix
the boat, though.

But he had to make everything out of coconuts which, obviously, weren't
seaworthy enough to fix the boat.

They're really hard to glue into planks. g

My dad, who fought in the South Pacific, said you don't want to try to cut down a coconut palm, either.

Why not? Palm wood isn't partuicularly hard.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From what he said, they were rubbery and resistant to an axe. That's what they had to cut them. Mostly they used the logs to cover their foxholes at Guadalcanal.

Interesting. I know that palm lumber has no heart or sap wood and the
wood is referred to as "fibrous" which would probably make them a bit
hard to chop down.

Royal Palm is very hard to cut and very rot resistant.

Probably not a lot of Royal Palms growing in the South Pacafic.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I lived in the south Pacific for years. Cocounut palm and Nut Palms are
there. Most anything else was shipped in by a 'king' to make something
different.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about
craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a
local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from
Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from
scratch.

The Professor, on Gilligan's Island, could make anything! Couldn't fix
the boat, though.

But he had to make everything out of coconuts which, obviously, weren't
seaworthy enough to fix the boat.

They're really hard to glue into planks. g

My dad, who fought in the South Pacific, said you don't want to try to cut down a coconut palm, either.

Why not? Palm wood isn't partuicularly hard.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From what he said, they were rubbery and resistant to an axe. That's what they had to cut them. Mostly they used the logs to cover their foxholes at Guadalcanal.

Interesting. I know that palm lumber has no heart or sap wood and the
wood is referred to as "fibrous" which would probably make them a bit
hard to chop down.
Royal Palm is very hard to cut and very rot resistant.

Probably not a lot of Royal Palms growing in the South Pacafic.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I lived in the south Pacific for years. Cocounut palm and Nut Palms are
there. Most anything else was shipped in by a 'king' to make something
different.

Martin

It is the same in most of S.E.A, coconut palms and Nut Palms.
--
Cheers,

Schweik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
This is a TV show that ought to interest RCMers. It's a series about
craftsmen and how they work. I happened to catch an episode on a
local PBS station the other day, about a guy who makes knives -- from
Lake Superior iron-ore sands. That's really making something from
scratch.

The Professor, on Gilligan's Island, could make anything! Couldn't fix
the boat, though.

But he had to make everything out of coconuts which, obviously, weren't
seaworthy enough to fix the boat.

They're really hard to glue into planks. g

My dad, who fought in the South Pacific, said you don't want to try to cut down a coconut palm, either.

Why not? Palm wood isn't partuicularly hard.
--
Cheers,

John B.

From what he said, they were rubbery and resistant to an axe. That's what they had to cut them. Mostly they used the logs to cover their foxholes at Guadalcanal.

Interesting. I know that palm lumber has no heart or sap wood and the
wood is referred to as "fibrous" which would probably make them a bit
hard to chop down.
Royal Palm is very hard to cut and very rot resistant.

Probably not a lot of Royal Palms growing in the South Pacafic.
--
Cheers,

John B.

I lived in the south Pacific for years. Cocounut palm and Nut Palms are
there. Most anything else was shipped in by a 'king' to make something
different.

Martin

It is very much the same in most of S.E.A, Coconut palms and oil
palms. Cash crops, in other words.
--
Cheers,

Schweik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/3/2017 10:12 AM, tyre biter wrote:
On 6/3/2017 8:55 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 8:42:26 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:

Why would you want to leave, you're on a tropical island with Mary
Ann!

Mikek

+10!

Plus she likes to toke...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshot...ion/dawn-wells

She's looking pretty damn good for a stoned 69 yr old women without
makeup.
Mikek