Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another tool rant

Still working on this ice rink volume of the pipes problem. Step one was to do a leak test because, as we had discussed, leakage in these buried-in-concrete pipes would be a major game changer.

So, I hooked up a compressor and found, well, leakage. But it wasn't coming from the pipes, the isolation valves were leaking enough to make this test invalid. So, I decided to disconnect the pipes at the isolation valves and plug them. Of course, they don't fit "normal" test plugs, so I made up steel plates covered with closed-cell neoprene foam sheet to sandwich between the pipe and valve flanges.

The two 2" supply pipes were no problem. The 4" return pipe, however, required bigger wrenches than I have. "Easy." says I, "just go to HF and get their jumbo combination wrenches with the 20% off coupon." So I went and got the wrenches, and also picked up a set of big impact sockets (3/4 inch drive - needed an adapter for that).

The friggin' wrenches don't fit. They are in 1/8" increments, and the two sizes it turns out I need are 1 5/16 and 1 7/16. Totally useless, they are. Near as I can tell, HF doesn't sell those 16th size at all.

Fortunately, the socket set is by 16ths, and I was able to use a 1 5/16 socket on the bolts and an adjustable on the nuts. But sheesh, wouldn't ya think?

I have taken measurements off the fitting and cut a plate to size. In the morning, I'll drill the holes in the plate and cover it with the neoprene, bolt it up and get back to testing.

BTW, I was able to loosen one of the four bolts with my puny Porter-Cable 1/4" 20V impact wrench, and the 1/4 hex to 1/2 square adapter did NOT twist into a pretzel. My 1/2" air impact (bought from enco 20 years ago) made quick work of the others.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 6:43:38 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

If you need to borrow a 3/4" inch ratchet drive, let me know. I have a Craftsman set that I used for working on my uncle's diesel-powered boat. It's a big sucker.

The friggin' wrenches don't fit. They are in 1/8" increments, and the two sizes it turns out I need are 1 5/16 and 1 7/16. Totally useless, they are.. Near as I can tell, HF doesn't sell those 16th size at all.

I have 1-5/16, 3/4 drive sockets -- your choice of Craftsman or Williams -- but no 1-7/16. My email address is real. Let me know if you want to borrow them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
[...]

======================

I've been using an oversized socket sleeved down with copper water
pipe since 1991 to loosen and tighten the chromed lug nuts on my
truck, which torque to 100 ft-Lbs. They've all come off at least once
a year to inspect the brakes. The copper has been replaced once. I
suspect 22 gauge sheet steel would last longer.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/29/2017 6:43 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
The friggin' wrenches don't fit. They are in 1/8" increments, and the two sizes it turns out I need are 1 5/16 and 1 7/16. Totally useless, they are. Near as I can tell, HF doesn't sell those 16th size at all.

In a pinch you could take the next smallest & grind the faces. A 1-1/4
becomes 1-5/16 with a 1/32 off each face.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 May 2017 23:06:41 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 5/29/2017 6:43 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
The friggin' wrenches don't fit. They are in 1/8" increments, and the two sizes it turns out I need are 1 5/16 and 1 7/16. Totally useless, they are. Near as I can tell, HF doesn't sell those 16th size at all.

In a pinch you could take the next smallest & grind the faces. A 1-1/4
becomes 1-5/16 with a 1/32 off each face.

+1 for that. I have one drawer in my rollaway which contains all my
modified wrenches. Some ground wider, some ground thinner, some bent
90-degrees, some welded to extensions, 12" Crescent with 1.5" trimmed
handle, some box wrenches made into line wrenches, etc.

Each one was made to fit some application, and all took the place of
$40-150 SnapOff or MAC$ equivalents. While I did break down and buy a
Chevy distributor wrench, I so seldom did the Toyota trucks that my
modified (thinned, bent 90, extension) wrench was fine both times I
used it. My thinned, cutoff 7/16 wrenches worked better than the
expensive SnapOn equivalent for carb nuts.

Thank Crom for grinders, welders, and a wee bit o' savvy.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 7:00:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Ed. I've got it under control with the HF 3/4" drive impact socket set and the largest Crescent wrench I have (which *just* opens to 1 7/16"). But I do appreciate the offer. The HF impact socket set, by the way, is surprisingly well done, and I do like having the blow-molded case.

When we re-open in October, you ought to come and skate (that goes for anyone here, as well). I know the guy (me) who hands out the free passes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 8:59:26 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Nice idea and I'll bear it in mind but it would be a lot to juggle atop a ladder and as I told Ed, I have this particular job under control with the tools I have.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 11:07:17 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 5/29/2017 6:43 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
The friggin' wrenches don't fit. They are in 1/8" increments, and the two sizes it turns out I need are 1 5/16 and 1 7/16. Totally useless, they are. Near as I can tell, HF doesn't sell those 16th size at all.

In a pinch you could take the next smallest & grind the faces. A 1-1/4
becomes 1-5/16 with a 1/32 off each face.

I may well do that (actually I'd convert the 1-3/8 to 1-7/16), but then you could bank on the fact that I'll need a 1-3/8 the next day. For now, I have an adjustable that just fits.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Back 40 years(!) ago when I was wrenching on British motorcycles I had a drawer full of wrenches bent and twisted every which way to get to the bolts that were placed by the "committee to make things impossible to get a wrench on" that apparently did the final design reviews at Triumph & Norton.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon

It's easy to make a small fortune.
All you have to do is start out with a large fortune.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default And while I'm being ****ed at Harbor Freight... was: Another tool rant

We decided that rather than pay a tree service to deal with our two cherry trees, we could handle it ourselves with the HF electric polesaw ($85 and gets really good reviews). So, armed with my 25% good only on Monday coupon, I went to the local(ish) HF.

The parking lot was jammed, there were no shopping carts, the store was jammed and only two out of the six cash registers were in use.There were at least 30 people on line to check out. I figured they's have more cashiers by the time I was ready to leave, so I spent some time getting my order together (the pole trimmer, another 1/2 - 3/4 drive adapter and a couple of come-along winches to help muscle the 4" pipe into place [I had been using ratchet tie-down straps]).

So, a half-hour or so later, there were still only two cashiers and the line now reached the back of the store and it looked to be at least an hour long. I left my stuff and went home.

I ordered the pole saw online and will (maybe) go back today with a 20% coupon for the other stuff. But jeeze, wouldn't you think they could get some more bodies working the registers? I was not the only customer to leave without buying, and it's not like they didn't know they had advertised this sale.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 May 2017 06:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
rangerssuck wrote:

snip
I ordered the pole saw online and will (maybe) go back
today with a 20% coupon for the other stuff. But jeeze,
wouldn't you think they could get some more bodies working
the registers? I was not the only customer to leave without
buying, and it's not like they didn't know they had
advertised this sale.

They run a coupon for that Pole Saw pretty often. A good place to check
for current coupons is:

http://www.hfqpdb.com/harborfreightcoupons

Looks like there is a $64.99 coupon for it right now...

You can find coupons and info here too:

https://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-har...-coupon-thread

Make sure you read the very-fine-print on those 20% and 25% off coupons
too. They exclude a whole bunch of stuff they didn't use to

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:14:04 AM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Nice offer. I haven't skated in 30 years, but it would be interesting to see how it all works.

Let me know when it's fixed.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You can bet the manager also didn't like the way things turned out.
But his job depends on getting by with minimum employee compensation
and staffing levels, and he's captive to the whims of employees who
phone in sick, or simply don't show up for work. He hopes to call in
some bodies on short notice when necessary. That's why, before he
hires people, he asks if they'll answer that call, and they always say
they'll be good soldiers. But they don't mean it, and that's just how
it is for managers of that type of operation. It's also possible that
the manager didn't show, and the bodies who did were zoned out, or
burned out.

Now, think about the manager at Walmart, who in addition to all the
issues I mentioned, is also expected to motivate employees by using
cult tactics.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You left out Royal Enfield. Try changing the oil filter without
taking off the righthand exhaust pipe on a Super Meteor.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 May 2017 10:11:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2017 06:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
rangerssuck wrote:

snip
I ordered the pole saw online and will (maybe) go back
today with a 20% coupon for the other stuff. But jeeze,
wouldn't you think they could get some more bodies working
the registers? I was not the only customer to leave without
buying, and it's not like they didn't know they had
advertised this sale.

They run a coupon for that Pole Saw pretty often. A good place to check
for current coupons is:

http://www.hfqpdb.com/harborfreightcoupons

Looks like there is a $64.99 coupon for it right now...

You can find coupons and info here too:

https://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-har...-coupon-thread

Make sure you read the very-fine-print on those 20% and 25% off coupons
too. They exclude a whole bunch of stuff they didn't use to

I kick myself for not using one on a mini-mill eons ago, when they
still did allow them. sigh

HF just opened a store here in Grants Pass this month. I lamented to
the cashier that they waited until I had already retired to open it.
He was quick and said "Now you'll have more time to use our tools."
Tiny store, 4 checkers, all with 3 people in line in a li'l town of
30k people. Amazing.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 10:39:23 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I kick myself for not using one on a mini-mill eons ago, when they
still did allow them. sigh

What amazes me are the people paying full price for the stuff.
Especially those commenting about what a deal they are getting...

I _ALWAYS_ use some sort of coupon on the main item and get a freebie
with another. Coupons are easy to find, nobody should be paying full
freight for their stuff...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2017 10:39:23 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I kick myself for not using one on a mini-mill eons ago, when they
still did allow them. sigh

What amazes me are the people paying full price for the stuff.
Especially those commenting about what a deal they are getting...

I _ALWAYS_ use some sort of coupon on the main item and get a freebie
with another. Coupons are easy to find, nobody should be paying full
freight for their stuff...

But many items are now exempt from coupon use.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2017 06:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
rangerssuck wrote:

snip
[...]

I look at their web site and figure out what I want to throww some
dollars at, make up my shopping list, and drive an hour and a half
only to find that that store doesn't stock anything on my list.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2017 06:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
rangerssuck wrote:

snip
[...]

The first time I had a problem, they had 5 of the 6 things I wanted,
but they were out of the big item which I had a coupon for. I always
called after that, since the store in Medford was 30 miles away.

They're happy to check their stock for you (every time, at every store
I've called) and hold something up front for you (sometimes.)

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 14:07:37 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2017 10:39:23 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I kick myself for not using one on a mini-mill eons ago, when they
still did allow them. sigh

What amazes me are the people paying full price for the stuff.
Especially those commenting about what a deal they are getting...

I _ALWAYS_ use some sort of coupon on the main item and get a freebie
with another. Coupons are easy to find, nobody should be paying full
freight for their stuff...

Ditto. I started shopping HF in 1976-7, the year they opened in
Escondido, CA. Watching their ads, I seldom needed to buy something
at regular price, since everything went on sale within a few months in
rotation. g This is the first time in 41 years that I've had a
store in my own town, but now I own one or three of _almost_ every
single thing they make. Har!

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 22:13:36 -0400
"Steve W." wrote:

snip
But many items are now exempt from coupon use.

They seem to be making specific coupons for many of those items. Check
those websites I linked to in an earlier post. I suspect it gives them
better control over the final price. It must be a nightmare trying to
keep track of it all.

As an example my flier for June has a 15% off any Drummond Pump coupon
(58706822) good thru 6/30. Some of the Baur stuff has separate coupons
this month...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 23:04:47 -0400
Gerry wrote:

snip
I look at their web site and figure out what I want to throww some
dollars at, make up my shopping list, and drive an hour and a half
only to find that that store doesn't stock anything on my list.

Yup, done the same thing. The last several years have been pretty good
though. Haven't had that happen to me lately.

After reading Larry's post on calling, even holding items, I would give
that a try if it was something I _REALLY_ wanted. Most of the time if
isn't something I have an immediate use for, just something I would
like to have around...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Never had the pleasure(?) of working on those. Also a load of fun was working on the electrical system crammed into the headlight housing of a Moto Guzzi. Those guys must have some seriously small hands.