Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dropping the Hammer on Comey... Brilliant!

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:52:10 AM UTC-4, !Jones wrote:
x-no-idiots: yes

On Wed, 24 May 2017 02:29:04 -0700, in talk.politics.guns "raykeller"
whiney_will_have_his_nose_in_my_ass_in_3_2_1@left ards_are_loosers.com
wrote:

Dropping the Hammer on Comey... Brilliant!

Good copy and paste; however, you should cite the source. I'm
snipping because I don't know that.

Another point: good expository writing should avoid what are called
"loaded terms" such as: "James Comey is a poisonous snake of the
highest order€¦" Any herpetologist could easily refute that statement
because Comey simply isn't a snake.

Yes, I know: it's called a metaphor and salting an essay with a few of
these is acceptable; however, the essay drags on and on with these
"horrible, evil and corrupt powers infesting our government..." etc,
etc, and so forth. My thought is to use the metaphors sparingly so
that they have greater effect; if the author fries us in the first
paragraph, we just get numb to them.

That paper is far from "brilliant" by any standard; it wouldn't even
be a very good high-school essay, at least not for an honors class in
a quality school. Give us a break.

Jones

If Kopypasta Keller posts it, it isn't worth reading. Reading his posts is something that even *he* doesn't do.

And those two sentences contain an anadiplosis, since you seem to have an interest in such things. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Comey is highly suspect from the behavior that the public has observed.

No, not the "public," Frank. Mostly the knuckle-draggers and alt-right neo-fascists. A recent poll showed that only 29% of Americans approved of Trump firing him; 38% disapproved. Another one, taken four days later, showed that 36% approved of the firing and 50% disapproved.

Obama only picked sycophants to rise to top positions.

Another example of bull**** that you made up in your convoluted mind.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/24/2017 6:59 AM, wrote:
If Kopypasta Keller posts it, it isn't worth reading.

You ain't even worth urinating on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear of dead, little edddie from footlocker in NJ is LYING again:

Still smarting from finding your foot in your mouth, eh, "andy"? You really don't learn very well.

https://news.grabien.com/story-10-ma...s-comeys-watch

Here are 10 of Comey's biggest embarrassments at the FBI:

"Embarrassments"? Who cares? You embarrass yourself all the time, and it doesn't seem to bother you.

snip

A recent poll showed that

**** polls and **** you too Edie, you cawk-gargling creep.

And that's why you've doomed yourself to remain ignorant and impotent, knuckle-dragger.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Still posting from work?

Corporate may change that.

https://news.grabien.com/story-10-ma...s-comeys-watch

Here are 10 of Comey's biggest embarrassments at the FBI:

"Embarrassments"? Who cares?

Wow, treason IS your game here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 1:32:23 PM UTC-4, andy memory wrote:
On 5/24/2017 10:28 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 12:04:39 PM UTC-4, andy memory wrote:

snip

Still smarting from finding your foot in your mouth, eh, "andy"? You really don't learn very well.

Still posting from work?

Corporate may change that.

Why don't you give that a try? Give them a call and tell them about it.

https://news.grabien.com/story-10-ma...s-comeys-watch

Here are 10 of Comey's biggest embarrassments at the FBI:

"Embarrassments"? Who cares?

Wow, treason IS your game here.

So doing something embarrassing is treason? When are they planning to lock up Trump?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/24/2017 11:38 AM, wrote:
Corporate may change that.

Why don't you give that a try?

Oh Eddy....BOO!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 2:29:13 AM UTC-7, raykeller wrote:
Dropping the Hammer on Comey... Brilliant!

Looks to me like an act of vanity. Comey was getting attention,
and the donald wants it all for himself.

Calls Comey 'grandstander' and fires him.

Could be worse; that old German chancellor thought his SA chief was
getting too much good press, and had Ernst Rohm murdered.
Also a few dozen bystanders. Night of the Long Knives...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/24/2017 11:54 PM, whit3rd wrote:
Night of the Long Knives...

Godwins Law!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:59:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:

If Kopypasta Keller posts it, it isn't worth reading. Reading his posts is something that even *he* doesn't do.

And those two sentences contain an anadiplosis, since you seem to have an interest in such things. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Excellent word, anadiplosis. Now that I've looked it up, how the hell am I going to remember it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 12:05:21 PM UTC-4, andy memory wrote:
On 5/24/2017 6:59 AM, wrote:
If Kopypasta Keller posts it, it isn't worth reading.

You ain't even worth urinating on.

That's probably a relief to Ed, who probably doesn't want you to urinate on him.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:01:47 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:59:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:

If Kopypasta Keller posts it, it isn't worth reading. Reading his posts is something that even *he* doesn't do.

And those two sentences contain an anadiplosis, since you seem to have an interest in such things. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Excellent word, anadiplosis. Now that I've looked it up, how the hell am I going to remember it?

It's one of a few rhetorical devices that I use in writing, the key ones among them that begin with "ana":

anadiplosis repeating last word of clause at beginning of next clause
analepsis repetition of a word or phrase for emphasis; pleonasm
anaphora repetition of a word at beginning of successive phrases for emphasis
anastrophe reversing or inverting word order as rhetorical device

http://phrontistery.info/index.html

I have memory devices assigned to the few that I use. For anadiplosis, I picture the two adjacent words with a period between them -- which is a "dip" in the visual appearance of the words. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:32:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Wrong URL. It should be:

http://phrontistery.info/rhetoric.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/25/2017 5:37 PM, wrote:
It's one of a few rhetorical devices that I use in writing, the key ones among them that begin with "ana":

anadiplosis repeating last word of clause at beginning of next clause
analepsis repetition of a word or phrase for emphasis; pleonasm
anaphora repetition of a word at beginning of successive phrases for emphasis
anastrophe reversing or inverting word order as rhetorical device

http://phrontistery.info/index.html

I have memory devices assigned to the few that I use. For anadiplosis, I picture the two adjacent words with a period between them -- which is a "dip" in the visual appearance of the words. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Wrong URL. It should be:

http://phrontistery.info/rhetoric.html

This is why they call you crazy eddy, innit?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

http://phrontistery.info/rhetoric.html

It's all Greek to me.

Would your industrial readers recognize an onomatopoeia if you beat
them on the head with it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:02:11 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message

http://phrontistery.info/rhetoric.html

It's all Greek to me.

Well, yeah, it is Greek...or pseudo-Greek, in some cases.

Would your industrial readers recognize an onomatopoeia if you beat
them on the head with it?

They don't have to recognize the device or the term. It only works, and it's only worthwhile, if it adds effectiveness to one's writing. One of the better writers I've worked with never heard of those terms, but he used them, because he read a lot of good writing and adopted the elements that he recognized were good. If you consciously try to plug them in, your writing can become phony and stilted, especially if you make bad or inappropriate choices.

That's how most good writing goes, anyway. Learning the terms and the devices is just a curiosity for some people who write for a living. But sometimes it's good to play with words, when you re-write, to make the writing sharper. Rhetorical devices can help there.

Or, as in my case, you use them to argue with editors who try to strip down or chop up your writing. It shuts them up in a hurry. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

http://phrontistery.info/rhetoric.html

It's all Greek to me.

Well, yeah, it is Greek...or pseudo-Greek, in some cases.

Mine was French, a double entendre.