Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coin counter

I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't
there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner writes:

I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years.

Never mind the change. Those metal coffee cans are valuable. They're
all made out of mylar-ized cardboard now.

I want to have somebody run it all thro3ugh a machine and give me
cash or a check. The 2local grocery store charges 10% and a
wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the machine will do it for 5%.
My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't there a better choice?

Some time ago, maybe late 90s, Radio Shack was selling a plastic
version of the coin sorter pretty much like the ones I used to see in
local banks in the 60s and before.

Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

A 3# coffee can holds over $4,000 in Canadian $2 coins or over 2,000
coins. Ranfom-sample your stash, do some statistics. Nice problem:
how does non-uniform coin size affect number of coins of each
denomination present?

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/23/2017 4:08 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't
there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

A lot. I have a one pound can full of pennies that I counted years ago,
and I think it was something like $40. If my memory of how much is in
there is right, then a three pound can of pennies would be $140. I
imagine you could have $600-$900 per can depending on the distribution
of coin denominations.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine.
Isn't there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and
doesn't charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-an...specifications

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 19:08:15 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:
Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

Your local newsagent may have one, mine does, no charge, but I usually
only have about $150 to consolidate.

Maybe you can hire the machine for a couple of days, probably much
less than paying 5%.

HTH

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote in news
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't
there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

At the end of each day, I toss my loose coins into a quart mason jar. When the jar fills up, I
sort and wrap the coins and take them to the bank.

You'd be surprised at how quickly a quart of change can be sorted by hand -- less than half
an hour -- just dump it out onto a table and have at it. I use a manual sorting tray that I bought
years ago, the Rapco Mini Coin Handler, to count and arrange the coins for wrapping.

In my experience, the value of one quart of mixed U.S. coins is about $60. Guessing that a 3-
pound coffee can holds about three quarts, 8 such cans = 24 quarts = about $1400.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/23/2017 6:08 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't
there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

Just dump the coins in and get your money. You didn't worry about the
loss in storage for how long ? That is a nominal service charge.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/23/2017 6:08 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix collected
over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all thro3ugh a
machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery store charges 10%
and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the machine will do it for 5%.
My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't there a better choice? Any
ideas who might have a machine and doesn't charge much? How much do you
think is in those coffee cans?

Just for grins I looked at coin sorters on ebay, from cheapest with shipping
on up, to see how bad bad could be :-). The under $20 ones had terrible
reviews and looked it, but there were a couple at $31 with shipping that I
thought might get your job done before wearing out. If you have $1500 in
coins and spend $31 plus what, $20-40 in wrappers, that's 50 or
60/1500=3.3-4% (hey, your friend's 5% with wrappers isn't sounding too bad
given the hours you will spend with these). Anyway, for your amusement look
at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coin-Sorter-...AOSwCU1YvKW T
(needs 2 C cells) and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Coin-...gAAOSw5UZY-ryY
(manual crank).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner on Tue, 23 May 2017 19:08:15 -0400 typed
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't
there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:29:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Tom Gardner on Tue, 23 May 2017 19:08:15 -0400 typed
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't
there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

Grants Pass has just been blessed in the last 2 weeks with a brand
spankin' new Harbor Freight! Ground has been broken for the new
In-n-Out Burger, too. And we're on track to getting a second fire for
faster internet smoke signals. It's a big city now. Garsh!

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an
aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The newer ones are copper-plated zinc, the change came around 1983,
and those in the transition period can be sorted by weight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 May 2017 08:23:12 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an
aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The newer ones are copper-plated zinc, the change came around 1983,

Yeah, zinc, not AL. Steel and AL pennies were more rare.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKCN0WK05Q

So, I need a zinc magnet. Got one handy?

and those in the transition period can be sorted by weight.

I'd just love to sort 20# worth of pennies by weight, wouldn't you?

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-05-25, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:29:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[ ... ]

Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

actually -- this is possible, except that the pennies are zinc
inside the copper skin, not aluminum.

Set up a ramp with a groove that the pennies can roll down.

Just as they exit, run them through a voice-coil magnet assembly
from an old (not too old, but non-functional) disk drive. Set this on
the edge of a table, and first roll known copper pennies through it and
note there they hit the floor. Then do the same with the zinc-copper
pennies. They will land in a different area. The moving penny
generated an indictively generated magnetic field in the pennies, which
slows them down -- differently depending on the mass and the
conductivity. Copper is a much better conductor than zinc is, so the
copper pennies will be slowed down more. The higher the starting point
of the ramp, the greater the speed, and the greater the difference in
speed after they go through the magnet assembly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-05-25, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:29:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[ ... ]

Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The HF one looks like the cheapest style on ebay, with terrible reviews
including that they take a nonstandard slightly shorter wrapper so you have
to buy theirs, so caveat emptor.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Thu, 25 May 2017
15:49:36 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an
aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The newer ones are copper-plated zinc, the change came around 1983,

Yeah, zinc, not AL. Steel and AL pennies were more rare.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKCN0WK05Q

So, I need a zinc magnet. Got one handy?

and those in the transition period can be sorted by weight.

I'd just love to sort 20# worth of pennies by weight, wouldn't you?

There are ways.

I just sort them as I get them.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to
sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an
aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The newer ones are copper-plated zinc, the change came around 1983,

Yeah, zinc, not AL. Steel and AL pennies were more rare.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...-idUSKCN0WK05Q

So, I need a zinc magnet. Got one handy?

and those in the transition period can be sorted by weight.

I'd just love to sort 20# worth of pennies by weight, wouldn't you?

There are ways.

I just sort them as I get them.
--
pyotr filipivich

The transition window is only one year, 1982:
https://www.thespruce.com/penny-soli...-plated-768853

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carl Ijames" on Fri, 26 May 2017
11:46:28 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On 2017-05-25, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:29:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[ ... ]
Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The HF one looks like the cheapest style on ebay, with terrible reviews
including that they take a nonstandard slightly shorter wrapper so you have
to buy theirs, so caveat emptor.

It is an option.

Other options include getting a grandkid over and playing a
sorting game. Sort and stack, stack and sort.

Personally, dump them all in the coinstar machine. Yeah, it has a
"steep cut", but "your done."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 7:08:12 PM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have 8 3-pound coffee cans full of change. Very standard mix
collected over the past 20 years. I want to have somebody run it all
thro3ugh a machine and give me cash or a check. The 2local grocery
store charges 10% and a wholesaler that I used to buy pop for the
machine will do it for 5%. My local banks don't have a machine. Isn't
there a better choice? Any ideas who might have a machine and doesn't
charge much? How much do you think is in those coffee cans?

I'm curious: Why did you save all those coins if sorting and wrapping them is such a pain in the ass? I make sure I use my change as fast as I can. No sorting. No wrapping. No fees. Net income: nigher than if you pay to sort and wrap.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 26 May 2017 02:44:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2017-05-25, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:29:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[ ... ]

Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

actually -- this is possible, except that the pennies are zinc
inside the copper skin, not aluminum.

Data update complete, thanks.

Set up a ramp with a groove that the pennies can roll down.

That would be a whole 'nother kettle of fish, wouldn't it?

Just as they exit, run them through a voice-coil magnet assembly
from an old (not too old, but non-functional) disk drive. Set this on
the edge of a table, and first roll known copper pennies through it and
note there they hit the floor. Then do the same with the zinc-copper
pennies. They will land in a different area. The moving penny
generated an indictively generated magnetic field in the pennies, which
slows them down -- differently depending on the mass and the
conductivity. Copper is a much better conductor than zinc is, so the
copper pennies will be slowed down more. The higher the starting point
of the ramp, the greater the speed, and the greater the difference in
speed after they go through the magnet assembly.

Interesting concept. Thanks.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 May 2017 11:46:28 -0400, "Carl Ijames"

On 2017-05-25, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:29:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[ ... ]

Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The HF one looks like the cheapest style on ebay, with terrible reviews
including that they take a nonstandard slightly shorter wrapper so you have
to buy theirs, so caveat emptor.

Thanks, Carl.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-05-25, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:29:44 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[ ... ]

Harbor freight has a coin sorter for sale. Battery operated/.

https://www.harborfreight.com/money-...ter-98052.html

I'll have to grab one of those. Coin rolls are much easier to sling
around than coffee cans, I'll bet. I'd also like to find an aluminum
magnet which could separate the aluminum pennies from the solid
coppers.

The HF one looks like the cheapest style on ebay, with terrible reviews
including that they take a nonstandard slightly shorter wrapper so you have
to buy theirs, so caveat emptor.

Thanks, Carl.

After looking more closely at the massive amount of dreadful reviews
for -all- of the sub-$200 models from various manufacturers, I've
decided to roll my own.

For $26, I can get 4,000 coin wrappers, sell half, and make a profit.
g Wanna buy some wrappers, Tawm? Make ya a deal!

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 May 2017 15:01:56 -0700, Larry Jaques
The HF one looks like the cheapest style on ebay, with terrible reviews
including that they take a nonstandard slightly shorter wrapper so you have
to buy theirs, so caveat emptor.

Check with your bank before you spend any time or money rolling your
coins. I recently changed banks. Neither the old one or the new one
will accept rolled coins. They said that they have to break them open
and put them in their state-of-the-art sorting and wrapping machine
that works practically at the speed of light.

At both banks, they would accept mixed coins and run them through
their sorter/counter for free. My new bank has a self-service machine
in the lobby. It prints out a ticket that one can take to a teller
and either deposit it or get cash.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com