Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/16" drill bit won't fit a 1/2" chuck

I've been culling my collection of crap.
Decided to reduce the number of incompatible
cordless tools and dead batteries.

I bought one of the Ryobi 1/2" lithium drill kits.
I don't need 1/2", but that's what was on sale.
I never drill big holes, but I often drill small ones.

It was an online deal, so I couldn't inspect it beforehand.
I shot myself in the foot.
The 1/2" chuck won't close on a 1/16" bit.
Only reasonably priced solution I've found is
a bit with a 1/4" hex shank. There are a bunch
of issues with that.

Only thing I can think of is to cut a slit in
some 1/16" ID brass tubing. That oughta be good
enough. I can always use a different 3/8" drill if
necessary.

So, how can I cut a NARROW slit in a section of 1/16" ID
brass tubing?
I have a .025" Dremel cutoff wheel, but by the time
I get done by hand, I expect there won't be much brass left.

I have some
1/8" shank NC drill bits, but they're extremely fragile.
I'd break 'em in an instant with a hand drill.

I have a Dremel chuck with a 1/8" shank, but by the time
I stack all that up, the tip of the drill bit is WAY out there.

Other options that don't involve buying a new drill
or a new chuck or a $25 drill bit?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 10:26:36 PM UTC-7, mike wrote:
\
I bought one of the Ryobi 1/2" lithium drill kits.
I don't need 1/2", but that's what was on sale.
I never drill big holes, but I often drill small ones.

The 1/2" chuck won't close on a 1/16" bit.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. Half-inch drills often don't
rotate fast enough for those small bits anyway. That 1/16" bit
won't work well (on stainless, for instance) if it doesn't go
at least 2000 rpm. For a half-inch drill, 300 rpm is good.
So, what's the speed range of the lithium drill kit? 1600 rpm max?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 May 2017 22:25:04 -0700, mike wrote:

I've been culling my collection of crap.
Decided to reduce the number of incompatible
cordless tools and dead batteries.

I bought one of the Ryobi 1/2" lithium drill kits.
I don't need 1/2", but that's what was on sale.
I never drill big holes, but I often drill small ones.

It was an online deal, so I couldn't inspect it beforehand.
I shot myself in the foot.
The 1/2" chuck won't close on a 1/16" bit.

I have two Ryobi 1/2" drills, both will close on 1/16. I love the
combination of compact drill and 1/2" chuck.

I can't remember exactly why, but I have a hand drill collet that I've
cut off the end of the plastic handle, exposing enough metal to fit
into a chuck. Maybe you could do something similar with a precision
drill holder. Those frequently come with a selection of tiny bits for
about $5.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
news
I've been culling my collection of crap.
Decided to reduce the number of incompatible
cordless tools and dead batteries.

I bought one of the Ryobi 1/2" lithium drill kits.
I don't need 1/2", but that's what was on sale.
I never drill big holes, but I often drill small ones.

It was an online deal, so I couldn't inspect it beforehand.
I shot myself in the foot.
The 1/2" chuck won't close on a 1/16" bit.
Only reasonably priced solution I've found is
a bit with a 1/4" hex shank. There are a bunch
of issues with that.

https://www.mcfeelys.com/snappy-1-16...FUmHswodkcACEA

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

So, how can I cut a NARROW slit in a section of 1/16" ID
brass tubing?
I have a .025" Dremel cutoff wheel, but by the time
I get done by hand, I expect there won't be much brass left.

Well, You could use an X-acto saw, although it would wear the blade (their
blades are really soft). You could reshape an old X-acto blade into a
skiving tool, Put an old drill shank in the tubing and hold it in a vise for
the procedure. To fashion a skiving tool (my own word for it) you use a
bench stone and make the X-acto blade like a tiny chisel blade. It only
takes about 30 seconds to reshape the end of a worn-out blade. Then, you
run the blade down the brass, using the vise jaw as a guide. It will take
1-2 minutes to cut through to the drill shank, and you should get a very
narrow slit. You swipe the blade "backwards" with the straight edge of the
blade at right angles to the brass. it will bring up little curls as it
cuts through.

Wish I could show this being done, it is easier to show than describe.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
news
Other options that don't involve buying a new drill
or a new chuck or a $25 drill bit?

Assuming you have a metal lathe (this is r.c.m.) you could drill a
1/4" bolt with a solid shank lengthwise for the drill shank and then
drill and tap crosswise through the hex head for a setscrew.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 23/05/17 06:25, mike wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need to buy a pin chuck, 3rd item down on this page
http://www.productsengineering.com/m...pinchucks.html .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 1:26:36 AM UTC-4, mike wrote:
[...]

Wrap copper or steel wire around the shank. I do it all the time.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 01:55:43 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 10:26:36 PM UTC-7, mike wrote:
\
I bought one of the Ryobi 1/2" lithium drill kits.
I don't need 1/2", but that's what was on sale.
I never drill big holes, but I often drill small ones.

The 1/2" chuck won't close on a 1/16" bit.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. Half-inch drills often don't
rotate fast enough for those small bits anyway. That 1/16" bit
won't work well (on stainless, for instance) if it doesn't go
at least 2000 rpm. For a half-inch drill, 300 rpm is good.
So, what's the speed range of the lithium drill kit? 1600 rpm max?

You can always buy a small chuck and put a stub arbor on it and clamp
it into the bigger chuck. That being said..its better to find a small
highspeed drill press for tiny bits.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 18:51:08 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 23/05/17 06:25, mike wrote:
[...]

Assuming his drill press will go faster than 1800 rpm..yes, that will
work. If it tops out at 700-800....he is screwed.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/16" drill bit won't fit a 1/2" chuck-solved

On 5/23/2017 9:35 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
mike wrote:

[...]

Worked perfectly.
thanks, mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 23/05/17 06:25, mike wrote:
[...]

You guys are missing the point entirely.
The question was not about how to drill the optimum hole in the most
difficult material.
It was about how to drill ANY hole at all. Brass tubing met that
requirement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Get a 1/4" chuck, mount it on an arbour, and chuck it in the half inch
drill. It will make it clumsy, but a half inch drill is WAY too
clumsey, and way too slow, for a 1/16" bit anyway.

I think I smell a troll- - -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

[...]

Hah, that was quick! I modify a lot of X-acto blades to carve circuit board
material, odd plastic things, etc. Kind of my go-too tool for special
things. Glad it worked for you!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 13:39:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
news
Other options that don't involve buying a new drill
or a new chuck or a $25 drill bit?

Assuming you have a metal lathe (this is r.c.m.) you could drill a
1/4" bolt with a solid shank lengthwise for the drill shank and then
drill and tap crosswise through the hex head for a setscrew.

I second that, but would use 3/8 to 1/2" stock, not 1/4".

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!