Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Acrylic to PVC? Sources of PVC sheet?

Can I bond acrylic to PVC with PVC pipe glue?

I have a project that involves PVC pipe with end caps made on the lathe,
but Tap Plastics doesn't carry PVC sheet (or I'm misreading their
website).

So -- do I make the end caps out of acrylic and bond with epoxy, do I
scratch up some PVC, what?

(External caps won't work, alas -- I'm making a #6 battery replacement,
so looks matter).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 1:10:23 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:
Can I bond acrylic to PVC with PVC pipe glue?

I have a project that involves PVC pipe with end caps made on the lathe,
but Tap Plastics doesn't carry PVC sheet (or I'm misreading their
website).

So -- do I make the end caps out of acrylic and bond with epoxy, do I
scratch up some PVC, what?

(External caps won't work, alas -- I'm making a #6 battery replacement,
so looks matter).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Aquarium people deal with this kind of stuff often. Take a look at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1707024 for some advice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 May 2017 10:27:58 -0700, rangerssuck wrote:

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 1:10:23 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:
Can I bond acrylic to PVC with PVC pipe glue?

I have a project that involves PVC pipe with end caps made on the
lathe,
but Tap Plastics doesn't carry PVC sheet (or I'm misreading their
website).

So -- do I make the end caps out of acrylic and bond with epoxy, do I
scratch up some PVC, what?

(External caps won't work, alas -- I'm making a #6 battery replacement,
so looks matter).

--

Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com

Aquarium people deal with this kind of stuff often. Take a look at
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1707024 for some
advice.

Thanks!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
Can I bond acrylic to PVC with PVC pipe glue?

I have a project that involves PVC pipe with end caps made on the lathe,
but Tap Plastics doesn't carry PVC sheet (or I'm misreading their
website).

So -- do I make the end caps out of acrylic and bond with epoxy, do I
scratch up some PVC, what?

(External caps won't work, alas -- I'm making a #6 battery replacement,
so looks matter).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

If this is a onesie just go to www.mcmaster.com and buy the smallest piece
of pvc sheet that will work in your thickness. If you need volume contact
your closest Sabic Polymershapes location, I used to buy 1/2" pvc sheet
sawed to my custom sizes by the pallet from them at my last job (should be
able to cut mcmaster's price in half). I know that
www.sabicpolymershapes.com says sabic and polymershapes have separated but
sabic.com doesn't so I'm not sure who exactly sells what but they should
still sell pvc or be able to tell you where to go.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 May 2017 14:17:48 -0400, Carl Ijames wrote:

[...]

D'oh. I should have thought to check McMaster. This is why I ask
questions...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Local box stores carry PVC foam board and PVC trim board. Also I believe
Azec decking is a hard PVC board.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 May 2017 12:10:16 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Can I bond acrylic to PVC with PVC pipe glue?

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/plexiglass_glue
googledit.

I have a project that involves PVC pipe with end caps made on the lathe,
but Tap Plastics doesn't carry PVC sheet (or I'm misreading their
website).

Shoulda looked to Ridout Plastics.

So -- do I make the end caps out of acrylic and bond with epoxy, do I
scratch up some PVC, what?

Tooth is almost always a good idea when it comes to gluing, except
when solvent gluing.

--
In today’s academia and mainstream media,
we’re all guilty of hate until proven leftist.

--Robert Knight, senior fellow, American Civil Rights Union

Acrylic Frame Sealant vs Acrylic Caulk Robin UK diy 3 September 23rd 16 08:56 AM
Source for 1" white acrylic sheet Hul Tytus Metalworking 6 August 23rd 06 12:42 PM
Acrylic Sheet Source Suzie-Q Home Repair 0 January 2nd 05 02:11 AM
Acrylic Sheet Peter UK diy 7 May 14th 04 11:22 PM
any tips on cutting acrylic sheet? Mike UK diy 19 March 3rd 04 08:22 PM