Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bridgeport Mill Making Knocking Or Clicking Noise

A friend of mine has a Bridgeport knee mill making a loud clicking or knocking sound in the head. I could not find any obvious reason. So I sorta just said sorry man I can't find anything. Well about 2 weeks later Karma I guess, I have a large Jet knee mill 3 phase started doing the exact same thing..So I am telling myself the same thing, (sorry man can't find anything ). Has anybody got info as to a guess what it is ? I am not a machinist just a hobbiest. Thanks for any input you might offer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 12:51:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
A friend of mine has a Bridgeport knee mill making a loud clicking or knocking sound in the head. I could not find any obvious reason. So I sorta just said sorry man I can't find anything. Well about 2 weeks later Karma I guess, I have a large Jet knee mill 3 phase started doing the exact same thing.So I am telling myself the same thing, (sorry man can't find anything ). Has anybody got info as to a guess what it is ? I am not a machinist just a hobbiest. Thanks for any input you might offer.

It is not a Varispeed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-03-18, wrote:

A friend of mine has a Bridgeport knee mill making a loud clicking or
knocking sound in the head. I could not find any obvious reason. So I
sorta just said sorry man I can't find anything. Well about 2 weeks
later Karma I guess, I have a large Jet knee mill 3 phase started doing
the exact same thing.So I am telling myself the same thing, (sorry man
can't find anything ). Has anybody got info as to a guess what it is ? I
am not a machinist just a hobbiest. Thanks for any input you might
offer.

Are these pure step-belt pulleys for speed control, or variable
speed pulleys? If the latter, the moving half of each pulley has a
black plastic (Delrin) sleeve inside it and a key on the shaft screwed
to the inside of the pulley with a Delrin cover over it to minimize play
and friction in the keyway. These eventually wear out, and need to be
replaced. If you don't replace them, the key starts wearing the keyway
in the shaft wider and wider, with a loud "CLACK" as the motor is
started or stopped.

If the step belt pulleys version -- I don't know, but perhaps
the spline which couples the upper pulley to the spindle is dry and
worn.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19/03/2017 2:54 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

If the step belt pulleys version -- I don't know, but perhaps
the spline which couples the upper pulley to the spindle is dry and
worn.

If the bearings in the front pulley are worn, belt tension can pull the
face coupling out of alignment. This will cause a knocking sound in
direct drive, that will go away in back gear. Had a Millport with this
problem.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 12:51:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
A friend of mine has a Bridgeport knee mill making a loud clicking or
knocking sound in the head. I could not find any obvious reason. So I
sorta just said sorry man I can't find anything. Well about 2 weeks later
Karma I guess, I have a large Jet knee mill 3 phase started doing the
exact same thing.So I am telling myself the same thing, (sorry man can't
find anything ). Has anybody got info as to a guess what it is ? I am not
a machinist just a hobbiest. Thanks for any input you might offer.

It is not a Varispeed.

Oh, well, that BLOWS that theory! So, this is a 1J (4 step pulley)?
There is a 1" belt that is the first stage of the back gear reduction.
The belt is held on one of the pulleys by a flange that is bolted to the
face of the pulley. That could be working loose, or the belt could be
disintegrating. Take a look at that assembly, rotating by hand and looking
with a flashlight.

Disengage the feed worm (little crank on right front of head).
Put the direct-drive clutch in neutral (push lever on top clockwise looking
down from top, it raises the driven pulley about 1/2") and spin the spindle
as fast as you can. Does it still knock? If so, bad news, that sounds like
main bearings.

Doesn't knock? There are a bunch of commodity bearings in the head, in the
back gear assembly. First, remove motor (it's heavy). Then, remove nuts
under belt housing, and you can lift that straight up and off the spindle
spline. The back gear is under a metal cover with a few screws. If the
bearings are blitzed, the ball retainers will have crumpled up and been spat
out. That's how mine were. Also, the motor bearings could be bad. Thay
are relatively easy to replace.

I can't say if your Jet is built the same way, but it probably is fairly
close.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

If the step belt pulleys version -- I don't know, but perhaps
the spline which couples the upper pulley to the spindle is dry and
worn.

OK, two more things to think of. If the spindle spline is badly worn, it
will clatter when taking short (as in along the length of the cutter) cuts.
What I mean here is that the cutting flute is not continuously cutting
workpiece material, like when cutting 1/8" sheet with a 1" end mill, for
instance. Each cutter flute digs in and the comes free. This will rattle
the spline. Easy to check, just twiddle the spindle nose and see how much
it can be turned CW/CCW before it hits the other side of the driving spline.
This will generally only rattle when cutting, and run totally quiet when
running without cutting.

One other thing is a shot V belt. If the V belt has started to break down
in one spot, it will ride lower in the pulley V groove. As the thin spot
alternately rounds the driven, then the driving pulley, it will cause large
speed-up/slow-down of the spindle. It can actually start the whole machine
shaking! I saw this on a lathe once, it was QUITE dramatic.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 3:17:43 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[...]

I apologize for jumping in without having followed the entire thread, but has anyone suggested that it could be as simple as a cracked bearing ball?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message ...
wrote:

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 12:51:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
A friend of mine has a Bridgeport knee mill making a
loud clicking or
knocking sound in the head. I could not find any obvious
reason. So I
sorta just said sorry man I can't find anything. Well
about 2 weeks later
Karma I guess, I have a large Jet knee mill 3 phase
started doing the
exact same thing.So I am telling myself the same thing,
(sorry man can't
find anything ). Has anybody got info as to a guess what
it is ? I am not
a machinist just a hobbiest. Thanks for any input you
might offer.

On top is the lever arm that rotates a ring with two
grooves at an angle in which there are pins
attached to the part that engages the low range
gears. When the lever is moved to high range
these pins pull up on the engagement cogs for
low range. These pins can work loose enough that
the cogs are not fully disengaged in high. That's
the rattle you hear, the cogs hitting each other
ever so slightly.
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I posted a response because this is what happened
on my Millport. Call it first hand info not speculation.
If it rattles only in high range then that's it.
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:29:15 -0500, Jon Elson

I apologize for jumping in without having followed the entire thread, but
has anyone suggested that it could be as simple as a cracked bearing ball?

Oh, I think a cracked ball will go from bad to worse at a very rapid pace.
Possibly a dinged ball in the backgear assembly (like when it ran over the
bits of the retainer cage) could just get noisy and stay that way for a long
time. That's the kind of shape my back gear bearings were in, and they
generally made a loud whirring noise. But, a really cracked in half ball
ought to be fairly disasterous.

Jon

Bridgeport heads are not loaded heavily enough to crack a ball. So it
one was busted..it was a flawed ball...and they are very very rare.

Did the OP track down the noise with the screwdriver stethescope?

Where was its home?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/21/2017 6:14 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

gummer was back at his squat by 6:00pm this evening, as his reply above
shows. It's very odd he hasn't made any of his usual intemperate and
absurd replies to the posts elaborating what a stunningly stupid loser
he is. I know he has seen those posts. I wonder if maybe - just maybe
- the message of what a massive loser he is has finally struck home, and
he realizes there's no denying it? It seems highly improbable, but I
suppose stranger acceptances of reality have occurred previously.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 22:36:06 -0700, Gary Chamberlain
wrote:

[...]

I heard a report that Wieber was rushed to the ER after a freak
accident. Seems he was confused about which end of his screwdriver
stethoscope was which. In addition to the hearing loss, the fluid leak
was lapped up by a few dogs, causing them to be "adopted out," if you
know what I mean.

BTW, here's an "engineering" tip: I store my 7 to 13 screwdriver
stethoscopes with the correct end out of harms way in a sort of
hammock made from something I found on sale for $1.99 at HF. Not sure
what it was supposed to be, but it's various bits of tubing connected
together. There are also some plastic gizmos that can be repurposed as
earplugs if you block the little holes in them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Caroline Says" Gary Chamberlain
[...]

Caroline and Gary, what do you two jackasses have to
contribute to the original question of this thread? We are
sick and tired of people like you two verbally assaulting
a long time contributor to this group. So, you two and
others like you can just go **** yourselves to death and
do us a favor. Useless *******s.... I'll bet you're on
welfare.
You are the 'stunningly stupid losers' in this thread.
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:05:57 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

[...]

I am contributing engineering. In fact, I am considering forming an
entire company of engineers. We will gather scrap and resell it. Yes,
I realize that you might expect us to call it something other than
engineering, but that sounds better and the term is well accepted in
this newsgroup.

We are sick and tired of people

Yeah, I know the feeling. You wouldn't believe the hypocritical
freeloaders out there. Sucking on the public teat, admitting they
refuse to pay taxes unless forced, and insisting they're having me and
millions of others killed. Worse, most bystanders do jack **** other
than whine pointlessly that I should keep quiet so that they aren't
forced to read my posts.

like you two verbally assaulting
a long time contributor to this group.

Too bad the contributions included so much asinine politics and lying
and death threats. Oh wait, maybe you missed that stuff? Manufacture
those rose colored glasses, you'll make a fortune.

BTW, did you notice how nice this newsgroup was recently when a
certain long time contributor was MIA?

So, you two and
others like you can just go **** yourselves to death and
do us a favor.

LOL Way to keep up the high standards.

Useless *******s.... I'll bet you're on
welfare.

How much do you have to bet? I'm in for any amount you'd like to put
up. Check with Ed Huntress, he's seen some picture of my welfare
abode.

You are the 'stunningly stupid losers' in this thread.
phil k.

And yet, I won't be losing any bets to you, right?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That is a lie! It was only an infection caused by ear mites. Everybody
gets them now and then. shrug And there's nothing wrong with my 20
dogs either. Im not trying to brag snicker but how many dogs do you
have...Hmmm? Sucks to be you.

BTW, here's an "engineering" tip: I store my 7 to 13 screwdriver
stethoscopes with the correct end out of harms way in a sort of
hammock made from something I found on sale for $1.99 at HF. Not sure
what it was supposed to be, but it's various bits of tubing connected
together. There are also some plastic gizmos that can be repurposed as
earplugs if you block the little holes in them.

You think your funny, but I know all the best stethoscopes. The one
your talking about isnt 2 bucks its four! And I can prove it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-69913.html Who has
that kind of money? Cash is very... very tight right now. shrug So
screw you pustilant leftist! Im submitting your name to the
listkeepers again. VBG When the People drag you out and hang you
from a bit of barbed wire after kicking you off a lawn chair..Ill be
very happy. In fact..I hope the doers send me a video clip of your
ending. Knowing you were disposed of, along with the many thousands of
your bretheren..and knowing that you will be gone into a mass grave
somewhere along with the rest of the trash who have tried so hard to
ruin America..will allow me to believe that America will indeed
survive Get your affairs in order you mentally ill welfare queen.

Gunner, Coyote Engineering
Machinery Repair Tech.

---
This pomegranate has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus
software.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 10:52:52 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton
wrote:

[...]

Still waiting for anyone who agrees I'm on welfare to put their money
where their mouth is.

Oh, and +1001 1/4" lock washers. metalworking content

Lock Washer Engineering,
(division of Taft Aerospace and Marketing Strategy)

---
This kumquat has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus
software.