Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default quick release nuts, aka "spring nuts" - lookinfg for sources

Larry Jaques wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

B) anyone know where I can get some for 3/8' threaded stock?

Zero carries it, well, the smaller stuff. I've bought 6' sticks of
allthread in 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8".

Maybe so, but pyotr asked for 3/8', not 3/8".

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 8:01:18 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
(Volker Borchert) on 16 Mar 2017 21:03:08
GMT
Larry Jaques wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

B) anyone know where I can get some for 3/8' threaded
stock?

Zero carries it, well, the smaller stuff. I've bought 6' sticks of
allthread in 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8".

Maybe so, but pyotr asked for 3/8', not 3/8".

Hmm, so I did. That would - heck with a foot long piece of 4.5
inch diameter stock, I could just use it as a weight to hold it in
place.
--
pyotr filipivich

I found that 3/4" - 10 threaded rod was the biggest I could easily
deal with, the limit being tapping holes in 1/2" steel. I start the
tap straight in the just-drilled hole with a spring loaded center in
the mill spindle to align it. The Clausing mill's throat clearance
limits how large a two-handled (balanced force) tap wrench I can use.
An open end wrench would twist the big tap out of the spring center or
bend it.

I made over a dozen 3/4"-10 jackscrews with swivelling feet on the
bottom and 9/16" hex heads milled on the top to level my sawmill.

It might have been easier with a new tap instead of an old one I
resharpened by hand.
-jsw

Mcmaster has hex nuts up to 3 1/2 - 4. A hundred and a half each, though...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 8:01:18 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

I made over a dozen 3/4"-10 jackscrews with swivelling feet on the
bottom and 9/16" hex heads milled on the top to level my sawmill.

It might have been easier with a new tap instead of an old one I
resharpened by hand.
-jsw

Mcmaster has hex nuts up to 3 1/2 - 4. A hundred and a half each,
though...

I can hand-tap up to 2" NPT. At that point clamping the work becomes
more difficult than turning the wrench.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

Mcmaster has hex nuts up to 3 1/2 - 4. A hundred and a half each,
though...

How long would it take you to make one?

I cut a 3/4"-5 Acme male broom thread in aluminum nearly complete in
one pass when I misread the dial. I had to release the tumbler lever
and adjust the bit sideways to clean up where the metal chipped out of
the surface.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 9:25:05 PM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:

....heck with a foot long piece of 4.5
inch diameter stock, I could just use it as a weight to hold it in
place.

Yep; an alternate book press design would be two granite plates, 9"x12"x3".
One on the bottom, one on the top.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 08:02:52
.. .
Larry Jaques wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Well, yeah. But where's the fun in that?
-jsw

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 9:25:05 PM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:

....heck with a foot long piece of 4.5
inch diameter stock, I could just use it as a weight to hold it in
place.

Yep; an alternate book press design would be two granite plates, 9"x12"x3".
One on the bottom, one on the top.

That would work.

Now, getting the top one off without messing up the book - that
could be tricky.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 08:02:52
I made over a dozen 3/4"-10 jackscrews with swivelling feet on the
bottom and 9/16" hex heads milled on the top to level my sawmill.

It might have been easier with a new tap instead of an old one I
resharpened by hand.

Well, yeah. But where's the fun in that?
-jsw

--
pyotr filipivich

I can set up my surface grinder to sharpen taps between centers and
did later. This noncritical job was a chance to see how well quickly
grinding the cutting edge side of the grooves with a Dremel would
work. A fairly long cylindrical stone worked better because a short
one tended to round over the cutting edge. The longer one held at an
angle was still guided by its end in the groove.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:38:42
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 08:02:52
I made over a dozen 3/4"-10 jackscrews with swivelling feet on the
bottom and 9/16" hex heads milled on the top to level my sawmill.

It might have been easier with a new tap instead of an old one I
resharpened by hand.

Well, yeah. But where's the fun in that?

I can set up my surface grinder to sharpen taps between centers and
did later. This noncritical job was a chance to see how well quickly
grinding the cutting edge side of the grooves with a Dremel would
work. A fairly long cylindrical stone worked better because a short
one tended to round over the cutting edge. The longer one held at an
angle was still guided by its end in the groove.

See, like I said - you had an interesting learning experience.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:38:42

See, like I said - you had an interesting learning experience.

--
pyotr filipivich

I write off much of what I do as an "interesting learning experience".

The lesson is not to repeat it.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:14:30
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:38:42

See, like I said - you had an interesting learning experience.

--
pyotr filipivich

I write off much of what I do as an "interesting learning experience".

The lesson is not to repeat it.

True.

But now you know the most important lesson "Here, _you_ do this."

Or "Oh yes, that's right, it doesn't work that way."

"This, is not fun."

tschus
pyotr

"Wait Master, it might be dangerous. You go first."
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:14:30
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:38:42

See, like I said - you had an interesting learning experience.

--
pyotr filipivich

I write off much of what I do as an "interesting learning experience".

The lesson is not to repeat it.
-jsw

You said that. B-)
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:14:30
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..
"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:38:42

See, like I said - you had an interesting learning experience.

--
pyotr filipivich
"With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels
alone."

I write off much of what I do as an "interesting learning
experience".

The lesson is not to repeat it.
-jsw

You said that. B-)
--
pyotr filipivich

Ironic, isn't it? The lesson there was not to disconnect so soon after
clicking Send. OE was still trying to check a closed email account and
reported an error, and I think it retransmitted everything when I
redialed to clear the error message.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:24:08
[...]

I _just_ love that helpful software.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 19:13:29 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:24:08
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:14:30
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
m...
[...]

OE? You're still back in the STONE AGES!!!! - along with your dial-up
internet!! I'm sure glad I live where I can get reliable high speed
internet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:24:08
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news "Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:14:30
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I could have cable or fiber if I was willing to pay for it, both run
past the house. But I chose TV antennas instead. The cheapest
broadband plan costs more than I pay for electric power..
-jsw