Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Off topic but of interest on rcm

I'll bet practically everybody who posts on rcm has an inkjet printer.
I have refilled cartridges in the past with variable results.
Currently I am using an HP4620 printer. When I went to refill the
black cartridge with some ink made for another, older, model HP
printer it couldn't be filled the way my older HP cartridges could. I
think it was because the 4620 cartridge doesn't have the nozzles in
the cartridge. What is there is a round pad that wicks the ink into
the printer proper. So I just tried dripping a drop at a time onto the
pad to see if the cartridge would soak up very much ink. And it does.
Very well. On top of that it is very interesting to watch the ink
being absorbed by the pad. The ink drop lands on the pad, wets the
whole surface, and then seems to disappear all at once. As the cart
starts to get full it absorbs the ink slower, making it easy to gauge
when to stop adding ink, thereby avoiding a spill. It takes about 5
minutes to refill the cart. My printer gives me some sort of message
about the cart being used and warning me it may counterfeit or some
such nonsense but it only does this once per filling and so is no
bother. I am now on my third year (at least) usingn the same cart.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 16:39:09 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Here ink tanks are very popular and there are shops who will install
ink tanks on your printer rather cheaply, or sell you a new printer
with the tanks already installed.

You can, of course, buy the tanks and tubing separately but the shops
price for installation is so cheap that hardly anyone actually
installs their own.
--
Cheers,

John B.