Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln Ranger 8 Need Help!!!!!

On Wednesday, April 1, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok, from what I have read on this new group, some of you electrical guys may
can help me. We have a Lincoln ranger 8 gasoline welding machine, the auto idle
switch will idle the engine up automatically when you are using the generator
or 115 V outlet. However when you strike an arc the machine will not idle up,
you have to manually flip the switch to high idle to get the thing to weld. It
is not the circuit board, because we took one out of another one of our
machines that worked, and installed on this particular machine, and it did the
same thing, the board works fine in the other machine. We have been arc gouging
with this machine, could this have had any effect on it? Also I tried to
contact lincoln at their web site for tech support, but guess what? FILE NOT
FOUND, also they have no E- mail add. that I could locate. Is this any way to
run a company? If you are familar with this problem or had it happen to you I
would love to know what is ailing this damn thing, it works fine other than
this problem. Also I would be interested in the Lincoln tech support web site
if anyone knows it, I have another matter to discuss with these jokers. My
Lincoln dealer has bent over backwards to help us, but they only sell the
stuff, not repair it, so where does this leave Mr. Consumer? We have many
Lincoln machines,and few problems, but I think most of their new products are
not up to par, as compared with their older eqpt.
Lincoln Reps if we are reaching solve this problem now. All others your input
is welcome on this problem.
Thanks in Advance
Jim Birdsong
wrought iron cast iron metal working metal fabrication

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:31:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Sad, isn't it? Most companies have found that their salespeople can
sell a new product to people who are losing money quickly, as weldors
do when their equipment fails. And the new liberalized country is
putting out fewer and fewer Makers nowadays, so there are many fewer
repair depots now. Insurance cost is blamed for schools stopping
their shop classes, but that's only one symptom of the problem.

If you are familar with this problem or had it happen to you I
would love to know what is ailing this damn thing, it works fine other than
this problem. Also I would be interested in the Lincoln tech support web site
if anyone knows it, I have another matter to discuss with these jokers. My
Lincoln dealer has bent over backwards to help us, but they only sell the
stuff, not repair it, so where does this leave Mr. Consumer? We have many
Lincoln machines,and few problems, but I think most of their new products are
not up to par, as compared with their older eqpt.
Lincoln Reps if we are reaching solve this problem now. All others your input
is welcome on this problem.
Thanks in Advance
Jim Birdsong
wrought iron cast iron metal working metal fabrication

When I was troubleshooting my old Lincoln 350, I found that there is a
vacuum control which kicks it up automatically. When the engine tried
to stall when you kicked the welder in, the vacuum was lost in the
module and it kicked the throttle up. 2 chambers balanced the throttle
position.

I believe the Ranger uses an electronic gizmo (maybe a solenoid? I
haven't torn into one before.) rather than vacuum.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...e&q=Ranger%208
Possible manual for it. Check your model/serial for the correct one.

Troubleshooting chapter E for an Onan-type shows this:

Engine will not go to high idle when attempting to weld.
1. Poor work lead connection to work.
2. No voltage signal from the current sensor.
3. No open circuit voltage on output studs.
4. Faulty P.C. Board

#1 and #3 could be faulty connections, so check them.
A standard VOM should be able to verify voltage at the current sensor
for #2.
And #4 is usually repair depot only. Google "welder repair" in your
city, then take out a mortgage to pay for the repair. /eek! OR talk
to a friend who is an auto mechanic (a real one, not shadetree) and
see if he knows of a solenoid from a car which might work for you. The
auto parts guys might help there, too, if that's the problem.

Hope that helped.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Dont feel bad. I have to do the same with my Ranger 9.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 09:48:42 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

See if something like this would work, guys.
https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Frame-...words=solenoid

Current activated?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...current+sensor