Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Largest grid-tied lithium ion battery system deployed today in San Diego

Unum wrote:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...attery-system/

The installation is currently the largest grid-tied lithium-ion battery
system in the US. Tesla announced a similar 20MW, 80MWh system at the end of
January in conjunction with Southern California Edison. That installation is
based in Ontario, CA.

The Escondido system consists of 24 containers hiding nearly 20,000 modules
that hold 20 batteries each. SDG&E said it hopes to have 330 MW of energy
storage on its system by 2030.

Speaking at the event, California Public Utilities Commissioner Michael
Picker said, €œI didnt expect to see these kinds of prices in batteries until
2022, 2024 €¦we are far in advance of where we expected to be.€ The president
of AE Energy Storage praised his team for bringing €œtwo projects online in
record time,€ a comment that many made at the Tesla battery inauguration as
well. Because of the immediacy of the potential natural gas storage last
summer, both AES Energy Systems and Tesla were chosen to build new systems
for utilities based on how quickly the installations could be put in place.
Future battery systems are not expected to go up quite as quickly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Unum wrote:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...attery-system/

The installation is currently the largest grid-tied lithium-ion battery
system in the US. Tesla announced a similar 20MW, 80MWh system at the end of
January in conjunction with Southern California Edison. That installation is
based in Ontario, CA.

Hopefully at least half a mile from anywhere bystanders might be.

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12 Mar 2017 13:51:57 GMT, (Volker
Borchert) wrote:

wrote:
Unum wrote:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...attery-system/

The installation is currently the largest grid-tied lithium-ion battery
system in the US. Tesla announced a similar 20MW, 80MWh system at the end of
January in conjunction with Southern California Edison. That installation is
based in Ontario, CA.

Hopefully at least half a mile from anywhere bystanders might be.

Hopefully, they don't explode quite that, um, flagrantly.

But that's Sempra, who took over SoCalEd and SDG&E eons ago.
May they always do well. (invested) The 2 sites are both in San Diego
County. Escondido is in North County, 12 miles from where I used to
live. El Cajon is northeast of San Diego proper. SoCalEd was mostly
in HelL.A., IIRC, and these two battery sites wouldn't even light LA's
porch lights, let alone downtown. Let's see, 120mw of power is good
for 20,000 customers for four hours, so combined, they'd keep 16.6% of
El Cajon (120k) lit for 4 hours. And it sounded so good until then...

--
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work until it's opened.
--Frank Zappa