DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best drive belts? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/585926-best-drive-belts.html)

[email protected] February 13th 17 11:11 PM

Best drive belts?

I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both while itr
is apart!!!)

After a LOT of searching/calling I found a current part number and
ordered the OEM belts. It was a bit of a scare, as the first prices
that came up were $112 and $55, but after they got through the
supercession list the current parts are only $51.73 and $24.57 (in
Canadian dollars)

Also found the measurements and they are a A29 for the Hydro and a B36
for the auger.( or 4L310 and 5L390)
What would be the best aftermarket belt to use on this unit in the
future that is generally available and will handle the abuse a
track-Drive snow blower can dish out?? Having backside idlers makes
some less advisable. Is a cog belt an advantage or disadvantahe here?
I used a cog belt on my old friction drive blower and it worked well
in the snow-filled semi-open drive area - limitting the slippage to
the rubber friction drive wheel.

Looking at the Timken (Carlisle) NON cogged listing there is the Super
II and the Aramax. The super II is their "problem solver" HD belt and
is a "raw edge" belt, while the ARAMAX is a kevlar wrapped belt
designed for lawn equipment.

Any belt experts out there who can ring in on this??

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 14th 17 12:35 AM

Best drive belts?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:11:09 -0500, wrote:

I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both while itr
is apart!!!)

Whuffo you do dat, clare? Ouch!

After a LOT of searching/calling I found a current part number and
ordered the OEM belts. It was a bit of a scare, as the first prices
that came up were $112 and $55, but after they got through the
supercession list the current parts are only $51.73 and $24.57 (in
Canadian dollars)

Eek.

Also found the measurements and they are a A29 for the Hydro and a B36
for the auger.( or 4L310 and 5L390)
What would be the best aftermarket belt to use on this unit in the
future that is generally available and will handle the abuse a
track-Drive snow blower can dish out?? Having backside idlers makes
some less advisable. Is a cog belt an advantage or disadvantahe here?

Cogged belts give you longer life when used on small diameter pulleys
because they build up less heat.

I used a cog belt on my old friction drive blower and it worked well
in the snow-filled semi-open drive area - limitting the slippage to
the rubber friction drive wheel.

Looking at the Timken (Carlisle) NON cogged listing there is the Super
II and the Aramax. The super II is their "problem solver" HD belt and
is a "raw edge" belt, while the ARAMAX is a kevlar wrapped belt
designed for lawn equipment.

Any belt experts out there who can ring in on this??

Thankfully, I have absolutely no knowledge of snowblower belts. ;)

I paid just $6 more for the kevlar-wrapped belt on my Murray mower.
They last 5 years compared to less than a year for the raw edge style
regular belt. I also learned how quickly mowing wet lawns eats belts,
but I'm fairly sure the wrapped belt is much less prone to wear from
it. So, for lawn equipment, it makes sense to spend the extra bucks.

Still torque, temps, and actual running conditions are unknown to me
wet white stuff. Your best bet is to ask a reputable repairman
for snowblowers. Drive by one of the shops and ask the guy with the
wrench in his hand. (You and I know how that goes, right? Screw the
managers; you need to ask the -mechanics- for the proper info.)

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.

[email protected] February 14th 17 04:25 AM

Best drive belts?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:35:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:11:09 -0500, wrote:

I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both while itr
is apart!!!)

Whuffo you do dat, clare? Ouch!

The paper thrower threw the paper either just before the snow fell, or
in the middle of the dump. It was totally invisible and unexpected in
both cases.

[...]

They all want to sell the OEM belt - which MAY be the best belt for
the job, or just the best at a price point. Seeing it only lasted 4 or
5 seasons - I'm leaning towards the latter.

Gerry[_9_] February 14th 17 05:15 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

I replaced the belts on mr Duramark 828 after 23 years with the
cheapest V belts that fit and they were still going strong when I gave
it away six years latter after SWMBO gave me a new one.

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 14th 17 02:11 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both while itr
is apart!!!)

Whuffo you do dat, clare? Ouch!

The paper thrower threw the paper either just before the snow fell, or
in the middle of the dump. It was totally invisible and unexpected in
both cases.

Wow, all that trouble from a single newspaper? I thought perhaps you
had set out a stack for recycling and forgotten it.

Leon Fisk February 14th 17 02:29 PM

Best drive belts?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 05:11:45 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
Wow, all that trouble from a single newspaper? I thought perhaps you
had set out a stack for recycling and forgotten it.

He just needs a bigger blower. One that can handle a little hiccup,
belch here and the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk4oc-dQss

Of course it might not make the neighbors too happy ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 14th 17 02:36 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

They are small enough to pass through the auger and jam against the
impeller. Tree branches and chunks of frozen snowbank dislodged by the
plow can be as bad, and all are invisible in the jumble the plow
leaves, or if the wind levels the surface.
-jsw

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 15th 17 12:27 AM

Best drive belts?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 09:29:19 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 05:11:45 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
Wow, all that trouble from a single newspaper? I thought perhaps you
had set out a stack for recycling and forgotten it.

He just needs a bigger blower. One that can handle a little hiccup,
belch here and the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk4oc-dQss

Of course it might not make the neighbors too happy ;-)

How about something a little smaller and more affordable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 15th 17 12:29 AM

Best drive belts?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:36:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Bummer. I'm glad I have a total of 23 minutes of snow shoveling
experience. I think I remember 15 minutes of it somewhere a couple
dozen years ago, but the latest was a month or two ago when I got the
icy stuff off my driveway so I could bring in the mail. The trusty HF
grain shovel, bought for distributing bark dust and mulch, worked a
treat.

[email protected] February 15th 17 02:15 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

The second one jammed between the auger and the housing. It was a
bundleabout 5 inches in diameter in a plastic bag and it came apart
enough to get in like a wedge under the serrated impeller. I could not
bac it out or pry it out or cut it out so after tearing out as nuch as
possible I went at it with the propane torch.
Now, interestingly enough, even though the belt howled and smoked
before I got it shut off, the auger belt didn't fail. It hardly had a
mark on it. The belt from the engine to the hydrostatic transmission
basically "detonated" several weeks later, and not even when it was
being worked hard.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 15th 17 02:24 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.
-jsw

Terry Coombs[_2_] February 15th 17 03:46 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

I fire up Rusty the Tractor and just blade the little bit we get off to
the side of the driveway - and sometimes tha road up to the top of the hill
.. Usually it's not the snow but the underlying layer of ice that's the
problem . So I put the chains on before first snowfall .
--
Snag

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 15th 17 04:34 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

Har, I like it. When all else fails, TORCH IT!

Now, interestingly enough, even though the belt howled and smoked
before I got it shut off, the auger belt didn't fail. It hardly had a
mark on it.

Interesting. Maybe wet chattering (the howl) saved it.

The belt from the engine to the hydrostatic transmission
basically "detonated" several weeks later, and not even when it was
being worked hard.

Odd, but it sounds like a typical failure mode once it had been
overheated. Working it hard probably overheated it again and it
failed as or after it cooled back down.

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 15th 17 04:35 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you have to continue to use/work the old bod or it'll rust out
on ya, and far too early at that.

Leon Fisk February 15th 17 01:43 PM

Best drive belts?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
How about something a little smaller and more affordable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU

Dang! That thing needs a lot bigger blower for that size motor. Doubt
if the motor even knows it's doing something other than revving up.
Dude's got a few man hours in that machine...

Some awfully cool snowblowers, custom builds on youtube. One I really
liked from several years ago was just a typical 10-15hp dual stage
machine that had been fitted with remote control. Sit inside and blow
driveway ;-)

I'm with Jim, still shovel the stuff out. Someday I'll have to get a
blower but I'm not there yet. And we do get snow. This is from Feb 2014:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/winter2014-02.jpeg

Don't have diddly squat around right now but that is fine by me.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

[email protected] February 15th 17 02:33 PM

Best drive belts?

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 9:46:07 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

I fire up Rusty the Tractor and just blade the little bit we get off to
the side of the driveway - and sometimes tha road up to the top of the hill
. Usually it's not the snow but the underlying layer of ice that's the
problem . So I put the chains on before first snowfall .
--
Snag

This year have had snow a couple of times, but just a couple of inches. So have not tried using the lawn tractor with a blade.

Dan

Terry Coombs[_2_] February 15th 17 02:43 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 9:46:07 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

I fire up Rusty the Tractor and just blade the little bit we get
off to the side of the driveway - and sometimes tha road up to the
top of the hill . Usually it's not the snow but the underlying layer
of ice that's the problem . So I put the chains on before first
snowfall . --
Snag

This year have had snow a couple of times, but just a couple of
inches. So have not tried using the lawn tractor with a blade.

Dan

We haven't had enough to use it here this year either . But that blade
also works just swell to move the dirt from my construction excavation
around too .
--
Snag

Terry Coombs[_2_] February 15th 17 02:45 PM

Best drive belts?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:24:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.

Yeah, you have to continue to use/work the old bod or it'll rust out
on ya, and far too early at that.

Cutting and splitting firewood works for me .
--
Snag

[email protected] February 15th 17 05:35 PM

Best drive belts?

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:43:09 AM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
[...]

I got my first one for Christmas. It came just in time, because I had surgery for a hernia the week before our first significant snowfall.

It's my new favorite toy.

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 15th 17 05:44 PM

Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:43:07 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
How about something a little smaller and more affordable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU

Dang! That thing needs a lot bigger blower for that size motor. Doubt
if the motor even knows it's doing something other than revving up.
Dude's got a few man hours in that machine...

Some awfully cool snowblowers, custom builds on youtube. One I really
liked from several years ago was just a typical 10-15hp dual stage
machine that had been fitted with remote control. Sit inside and blow
driveway ;-)

I'm with Jim, still shovel the stuff out. Someday I'll have to get a
blower but I'm not there yet. And we do get snow. This is from Feb 2014:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/winter2014-02.jpeg

Don't have diddly squat around right now but that is fine by me.

Heck, if I lived in snow country, I'd figure out some way to use a
turbine blower, melting what didn't blow off my driveway. g
Perhaps something a bit smaller than this: http://tinyurl.com/huoj7uo

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 15th 17 05:49 PM

Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:45:33 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:24:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.

Yeah, you have to continue to use/work the old bod or it'll rust out
on ya, and far too early at that.

Cutting and splitting firewood works for me .

Urk! To hell with that. Pruning, weeding (both yearround), and
burning works for me, as well as installing solar panels on the roof,
replacing water heaters (both 2017), PW & painting the house (2016),
and PW & sealing the driveway (2017). Overhauling the shop with more
shelving and rearranging everything is going to be a helluva lot of
work, too, but then I'll get to work in there again. Whatta mess!

Leon Fisk February 15th 17 06:23 PM

Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:44:21 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
Heck, if I lived in snow country, I'd figure out some way to use a
turbine blower, melting what didn't blow off my driveway. g
Perhaps something a bit smaller than this: http://tinyurl.com/huoj7uo

You best be government or last name of Gate's, Leno... for that kind of
snow removal. They don't give fuel away around here ;-)

This setup isn't too far away from me:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...llions_to.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

RangersSuck February 15th 17 06:51 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
[...]

OK, but there are snow melters that do some pretty impressive destruction, turning the white stuff to liquid about as fast as you can feed them. I saw a news report a couple of years ago that showed a New York frontloader dumping snow into one of these and water just pouring out of it. https://youtu..be/LmDl_nETs8U

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 15th 17 07:33 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
[...]

The consistency of the snowbank the road plows leave across the
driveway is somewhere between gravel and hard-frozen ice cream,
shading to wet concrete mix if it partly melts on a sunny day. Guess
what that turns into at night.
-jsw

Gerry[_9_] February 16th 17 03:00 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

With my previous macine, I broke one shear bolt in 29 years when I
forgot that I had anchored a tarp over a piece of equipment withy
bricks!

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 16th 17 03:51 AM

Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:23:06 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:44:21 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
Heck, if I lived in snow country, I'd figure out some way to use a
turbine blower, melting what didn't blow off my driveway. g
Perhaps something a bit smaller than this: http://tinyurl.com/huoj7uo

You best be government or last name of Gate's, Leno... for that kind of
snow removal. They don't give fuel away around here ;-)

You didn't catch the "something a bit smaller" portion of that joke,
didja? ;) Handheld, that jet engine would launch _me_. (as if I
could lift it.) so I'd have to settle for something about 99.5%
smaller. Y'know, 3x larger than a weed burner, and movable. Once a
week, I could handle the fuel costs on my 50' driveway.

Would a pressure washer leave too much ice? It could blow most powder
off the drive, and blast free any previous layers of ice.

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 16th 17 03:52 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
[...]

Something just ripe for a pick mattock? Thot so.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 16th 17 05:35 AM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

The consistency of the snowbank the road plows leave across the
driveway is somewhere between gravel and hard-frozen ice cream,
shading to wet concrete mix if it partly melts on a sunny day. Guess
what that turns into at night.

Something just ripe for a pick mattock? Thot so.

Sure, if you have the finesse to stop short of the pavement
underneath, or planned to repave it in the spring.

I've tried my winter climbing gear on a frozen snowbank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_axe
It would have been the right tool to carve stair steps up and over the
bank but was nowhere near enough to hack out a vehicle-sized opening.

It's sharper than a mattock since it doesn't strike rocks (much). It
can't be too sharp because the self-arrest technique if you slip is to
hastily grab the wide blade (3) and force the long blade (1) down into
the snow.
-jsw

Leon Fisk February 16th 17 02:40 PM

Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:51:48 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
You didn't catch the "something a bit smaller" portion of that joke,
didja? ;) Handheld, that jet engine would launch _me_. (as if I
could lift it.) so I'd have to settle for something about 99.5%
smaller. Y'know, 3x larger than a weed burner, and movable. Once a
week, I could handle the fuel costs on my 50' driveway.

I caught the smiley, why I smiled back ;-)

Would a pressure washer leave too much ice? It could blow most powder
off the drive, and blast free any previous layers of ice.

You need to spend a winter or two in the rustbelt. It routinely gets
cold enough around here that the road salt/goop they spread quits
working. In those instances a pressure washer would be like spraying ice
rather than removing it :)

Snow fall can vary anywhere from light puffy stuff that you could move
with air pressure to hard packed stuff that you could cut into
chunks and build an igloo. I have/use a half-dozen shovels and a
couple brooms depending on the consistency.

Your choices are to shovel, plow, blow or drive over it. The latter can
become a huge pain though when a big thaw hits. Packed snow and ice
that is melting becomes really, really slippery. Even four-wheel drive
has its limitations...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Leon Fisk February 16th 17 02:48 PM

Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:35:54 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
Sure, if you have the finesse to stop short of the pavement
underneath, or planned to repave it in the spring.

Many years ago I help an old girlfriends brother clear his driveway.
He had been driving over the snow and had solid pack maybe 8-10 inches
thick. We used his roto-tiller to loosen it up and then shovel off the
debris. There was cement underneath. His idea/plan. It didn't work too
bad. I wouldn't want to use my tiller though unless there was say
gravel underneath. An old set of tines would be best. I saw the drive
once the snow was gone and you couldn't see any obvious damage. No more
than tire chains would make.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 16th 17 03:28 PM

Best drive belts?

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:35:54 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
Sure, if you have the finesse to stop short of the pavement
underneath, or planned to repave it in the spring.

Many years ago I help an old girlfriends brother clear his driveway.
He had been driving over the snow and had solid pack maybe 8-10
inches
thick. We used his roto-tiller to loosen it up and then shovel off
the
debris. There was cement underneath. His idea/plan. It didn't work
too
bad. I wouldn't want to use my tiller though unless there was say
gravel underneath. An old set of tines would be best. I saw the
drive
once the snow was gone and you couldn't see any obvious damage. No
more
than tire chains would make.

--
Leon Fisk

I stopped using my home-made bucket loader to clear snow after it
knocked chunks of asphalt out of the edge of the driveway. It also
made a mess of the yard if the ground wasn't frozen solid before the
snow fell, i.e. the snow came with a cold front.

The skids on the edges of the bucket sank uselessly into the soft mud
that forms when the top layer of soil melts but can't drain through
the ice below it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa
-jsw

Leon Fisk February 16th 17 03:42 PM

Best drive belts?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:28:04 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I stopped using my home-made bucket loader to clear snow after it
knocked chunks of asphalt out of the edge of the driveway. It also
made a mess of the yard if the ground wasn't frozen solid before the
snow fell, i.e. the snow came with a cold front.

Yeah, really common collateral damage with snow plow removal. It
doesn't seem to bother my neighbors but then most of them use lawn
service companies (usually the same guy that plows). So it's not their
cleanup problem...

You should see what the County Road Plows rip up around the area. The
trucks have side-wing plows now. Make a real mess of it when the
shoulder isn't froze up underneath.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 16th 17 05:05 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

The consistency of the snowbank the road plows leave across the
driveway is somewhere between gravel and hard-frozen ice cream,
shading to wet concrete mix if it partly melts on a sunny day. Guess
what that turns into at night.

Something just ripe for a pick mattock? Thot so.

Sure, if you have the finesse to stop short of the pavement
underneath, or planned to repave it in the spring.

One could use the reverse croquet stance, sir, as if hitting the ball
back between one's legs, wot? Or how about the side strike, splitting
the mound vertically so you could roll boulders of it to the side?

I've tried my winter climbing gear on a frozen snowbank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_axe

Ah. I see. You -were- nuts, climbing up icicles. Eek!

It would have been the right tool to carve stair steps up and over the
bank but was nowhere near enough to hack out a vehicle-sized opening.

I hadn't even considered something that light and small to attack a
couple-foot thick mound of solid ice. Aren't they used for clearing
ice from crevices to insert expanders or set pitons?

It's sharper than a mattock since it doesn't strike rocks (much). It
can't be too sharp because the self-arrest technique if you slip is to
hastily grab the wide blade (3) and force the long blade (1) down into
the snow.

Sounds like great fun...for you. Enjoy. I very much prefer snowless
areas.

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 16th 17 05:16 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:35:54 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
[...]

Some of the truck vids from Russia are showing triple tractors trying
to free lumber trucks from mudbeds. What a horrible mess that is.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...sian+truck+mud

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 16th 17 05:32 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

[...]

Actually the ice and snow open up areas that are inacessible the rest
of the year. Lakes and streams become highways instead of
obstructions.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 16th 17 05:46 PM

Best drive belts?

wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:35:54 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
[...]

The off-road motorcycle club I belonged to ran springtime rallys
through all the mudholes. It was amazing to watch the Trials experts
on their Bultacos float over mud the less skilled of us were waist
deep in.
-jsw