Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,914
Default Best drive belts?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:36:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:25:57 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:35:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:11:09 -0500,
wrote:


I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads
burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was
the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both
while
itr
is apart!!!)

Whuffo you do dat, clare? Ouch!
The paper thrower threw the paper either just before the snow
fell,
or
in the middle of the dump. It was totally invisible and unexpected
in
both cases.

Wow, all that trouble from a single newspaper? I thought perhaps
you
had set out a stack for recycling and forgotten it.


They are small enough to pass through the auger and jam against the
impeller. Tree branches and chunks of frozen snowbank dislodged by
the
plow can be as bad, and all are invisible in the jumble the plow
leaves, or if the wind levels the surface.


Bummer. I'm glad I have a total of 23 minutes of snow shoveling
experience. I think I remember 15 minutes of it somewhere a couple
dozen years ago, but the latest was a month or two ago when I got
the
icy stuff off my driveway so I could bring in the mail. The trusty
HF
grain shovel, bought for distributing bark dust and mulch, worked a
treat.


I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.
-jsw



  #12   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,424
Default Best drive belts?

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:36:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:25:57 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:35:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:11:09 -0500,
wrote:


I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads
burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was
the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both
while
itr
is apart!!!)

Whuffo you do dat, clare? Ouch!
The paper thrower threw the paper either just before the snow
fell,
or
in the middle of the dump. It was totally invisible and unexpected
in
both cases.

Wow, all that trouble from a single newspaper? I thought perhaps
you
had set out a stack for recycling and forgotten it.

They are small enough to pass through the auger and jam against the
impeller. Tree branches and chunks of frozen snowbank dislodged by
the
plow can be as bad, and all are invisible in the jumble the plow
leaves, or if the wind levels the surface.


Bummer. I'm glad I have a total of 23 minutes of snow shoveling
experience. I think I remember 15 minutes of it somewhere a couple
dozen years ago, but the latest was a month or two ago when I got
the
icy stuff off my driveway so I could bring in the mail. The trusty
HF
grain shovel, bought for distributing bark dust and mulch, worked a
treat.


I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.
-jsw


I fire up Rusty the Tractor and just blade the little bit we get off to
the side of the driveway - and sometimes tha road up to the top of the hill
.. Usually it's not the snow but the underlying layer of ice that's the
problem . So I put the chains on before first snowfall .
--
Snag


  #13   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 8,626
Default Best drive belts?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:15:33 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:29:56 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:36:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:25:57 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:35:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:11:09 -0500,
wrote:


I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads
burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was
the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both while
itr
is apart!!!)

Whuffo you do dat, clare? Ouch!
The paper thrower threw the paper either just before the snow fell,
or
in the middle of the dump. It was totally invisible and unexpected
in
both cases.

Wow, all that trouble from a single newspaper? I thought perhaps
you
had set out a stack for recycling and forgotten it.

They are small enough to pass through the auger and jam against the
impeller. Tree branches and chunks of frozen snowbank dislodged by the
plow can be as bad, and all are invisible in the jumble the plow
leaves, or if the wind levels the surface.


Bummer. I'm glad I have a total of 23 minutes of snow shoveling
experience. I think I remember 15 minutes of it somewhere a couple
dozen years ago, but the latest was a month or two ago when I got the
icy stuff off my driveway so I could bring in the mail. The trusty HF
grain shovel, bought for distributing bark dust and mulch, worked a
treat.

The second one jammed between the auger and the housing. It was a
bundleabout 5 inches in diameter in a plastic bag and it came apart
enough to get in like a wedge under the serrated impeller. I could not
bac it out or pry it out or cut it out so after tearing out as nuch as
possible I went at it with the propane torch.


Har, I like it. When all else fails, TORCH IT!


Now, interestingly enough, even though the belt howled and smoked
before I got it shut off, the auger belt didn't fail. It hardly had a
mark on it.


Interesting. Maybe wet chattering (the howl) saved it.


The belt from the engine to the hydrostatic transmission
basically "detonated" several weeks later, and not even when it was
being worked hard.


Odd, but it sounds like a typical failure mode once it had been
overheated. Working it hard probably overheated it again and it
failed as or after it cooled back down.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
  #14   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 8,626
Default Best drive belts?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:24:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 08:36:52 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:25:57 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:35:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:11:09 -0500,
wrote:


I blew the belt on my 6HP YammerHammer blower, meaning I had to
push/pull the darn thing home into the garage.
It has (previously) eaten 2 goodsized chunks of newspaper/ads
burried
in the snow - but it wasn't the auger belt that let go - it was
the
drive belt to the Hydro unit. (But I will replace them both
while
itr
is apart!!!)

Whuffo you do dat, clare? Ouch!
The paper thrower threw the paper either just before the snow
fell,
or
in the middle of the dump. It was totally invisible and unexpected
in
both cases.

Wow, all that trouble from a single newspaper? I thought perhaps
you
had set out a stack for recycling and forgotten it.

They are small enough to pass through the auger and jam against the
impeller. Tree branches and chunks of frozen snowbank dislodged by
the
plow can be as bad, and all are invisible in the jumble the plow
leaves, or if the wind levels the surface.


Bummer. I'm glad I have a total of 23 minutes of snow shoveling
experience. I think I remember 15 minutes of it somewhere a couple
dozen years ago, but the latest was a month or two ago when I got
the
icy stuff off my driveway so I could bring in the mail. The trusty
HF
grain shovel, bought for distributing bark dust and mulch, worked a
treat.


I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.


Yeah, you have to continue to use/work the old bod or it'll rust out
on ya, and far too early at that.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
  #15   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,372
Default Best drive belts?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
How about something a little smaller and more affordable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU


Dang! That thing needs a lot bigger blower for that size motor. Doubt
if the motor even knows it's doing something other than revving up.
Dude's got a few man hours in that machine...

Some awfully cool snowblowers, custom builds on youtube. One I really
liked from several years ago was just a typical 10-15hp dual stage
machine that had been fitted with remote control. Sit inside and blow
driveway ;-)

I'm with Jim, still shovel the stuff out. Someday I'll have to get a
blower but I'm not there yet. And we do get snow. This is from Feb 2014:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/winter2014-02.jpeg

Don't have diddly squat around right now but that is fine by me.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email



  #16   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,844
Default Best drive belts?

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 9:46:07 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:


I fire up Rusty the Tractor and just blade the little bit we get off to
the side of the driveway - and sometimes tha road up to the top of the hill
. Usually it's not the snow but the underlying layer of ice that's the
problem . So I put the chains on before first snowfall .
--
Snag


This year have had snow a couple of times, but just a couple of inches. So have not tried using the lawn tractor with a blade.

Dan

  #18   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,424
Default Best drive belts?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:24:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.


Yeah, you have to continue to use/work the old bod or it'll rust out
on ya, and far too early at that.


Cutting and splitting firewood works for me .
--
Snag


  #19   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2016
Posts: 464
Default Best drive belts?

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:43:09 AM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
How about something a little smaller and more affordable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU


Dang! That thing needs a lot bigger blower for that size motor. Doubt
if the motor even knows it's doing something other than revving up.
Dude's got a few man hours in that machine...

Some awfully cool snowblowers, custom builds on youtube. One I really
liked from several years ago was just a typical 10-15hp dual stage
machine that had been fitted with remote control. Sit inside and blow
driveway ;-)

I'm with Jim, still shovel the stuff out. Someday I'll have to get a
blower but I'm not there yet. And we do get snow. This is from Feb 2014:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/winter2014-02.jpeg

Don't have diddly squat around right now but that is fine by me.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email


I got my first one for Christmas. It came just in time, because I had surgery for a hernia the week before our first significant snowfall.

It's my new favorite toy.

--
Ed Huntress
  #20   Report Post  
Old February 15th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 8,626
Default Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:43:07 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
How about something a little smaller and more affordable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU


Dang! That thing needs a lot bigger blower for that size motor. Doubt
if the motor even knows it's doing something other than revving up.
Dude's got a few man hours in that machine...

Some awfully cool snowblowers, custom builds on youtube. One I really
liked from several years ago was just a typical 10-15hp dual stage
machine that had been fitted with remote control. Sit inside and blow
driveway ;-)

I'm with Jim, still shovel the stuff out. Someday I'll have to get a
blower but I'm not there yet. And we do get snow. This is from Feb 2014:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/winter2014-02.jpeg

Don't have diddly squat around right now but that is fine by me.


Heck, if I lived in snow country, I'd figure out some way to use a
turbine blower, melting what didn't blow off my driveway. g
Perhaps something a bit smaller than this: http://tinyurl.com/huoj7uo

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cassette drive belts ? ? ? [email protected] Electronic Schematics 4 March 22nd 14 12:45 PM
drive belts Polymax Ltd Electronics Repair 1 April 14th 07 01:24 PM
Perished drive belts Russ_Verdon Electronics Repair 8 November 13th 06 05:50 AM
Salvaging old drive belts David Nebenzahl Electronics Repair 8 January 28th 06 03:56 PM
Looking for source for drive belts Adrian G. Electronics Repair 1 January 1st 05 07:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017