Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What the hell is going on with this grease?

To all the greasy folks here,
About 7 years ago I took apart my dividing head to make some changes.
I completely degreased all the parts. When re-assembling the thing I
used white lithium grease on all the parts that needed grease. Lately
the rotating parts have become very stiff, as if the brake was on. I
took it apart today and discovered that the white grease had turned
into green glue. But only on the steel worm and bronze worm gear. The
all steel tapered roller bearings at both ends still have grease that
works and looks like grease is supposed to. It appears that there is
some kind of chemical reaction happening between the grease and the
bronze gear. Anybody here know anything about this?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 6:15:09 PM UTC-5, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:25:30 -0800, wrote:

To all the greasy folks here,
About 7 years ago I took apart my dividing head to make some changes.
I completely degreased all the parts. When re-assembling the thing I
used white lithium grease on all the parts that needed grease. Lately
the rotating parts have become very stiff, as if the brake was on. I
took it apart today and discovered that the white grease had turned
into green glue. But only on the steel worm and bronze worm gear. The
all steel tapered roller bearings at both ends still have grease that
works and looks like grease is supposed to. It appears that there is
some kind of chemical reaction happening between the grease and the
bronze gear. Anybody here know anything about this?
Thanks,
Eric

Some sulfur containing EP additives are not compatible with copper
bearing alloys. It's a common concern with gear oils. I've never heard
of an issue with grease, but if the grease was made from oil with
non-compatible additives...

--
Ned Simmons

This reminds me of a warning in a repair manual for old Jaguars, at least the early, 6-cyl. E-type: They had bronze ring gears and they had a note about which lubricants were compatible and incompatible.

My '57 Alfa Romeo Guilietta had a bronze distributor drive gear. I don't remember any specific warnings, but they were explicit about oil grades, including all of the letter designations that came after the weight.

(In '58, Alfa switched to steel gears.)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 18:15:13 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

[...]

Greetings Ned,
I tried to find out what kind of oil is used in the white grease I
have and have had no luck. But I'm thinking you must be correct about
the sulfur, even though the grease is not described as having any EP
additives. Based on your post I am going to make sure that any greases
I use in the future on bronze mechanisms do not contain sulfur or any
other additives that can harm bronze. The grease in contact not only
became a substance similar to thick glue parts of it turned into
almost a solid. And conventional solvents used to dissolve greases had
no effect I could see on the morphed grease when I cleaned it all out.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ur-ep-gear-oil
"Sulfurized mineral oil will readily stain copper under the conditions
of the Copper Corrosion Test (ASTM D130), which uses a copper test
strip, submerged in the test oil at 100°C for three hours as an
indication of chemical reactivity to yellow metals."

Also search for the Copper Mirror test.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

To all the greasy folks here,
About 7 years ago I took apart my dividing head to make some changes.
I completely degreased all the parts. When re-assembling the thing I
used white lithium grease on all the parts that needed grease. Lately
the rotating parts have become very stiff, as if the brake was on. I
took it apart today and discovered that the white grease had turned
into green glue. But only on the steel worm and bronze worm gear. The

[ ... ]

Some sulfur containing EP additives are not compatible with copper
bearing alloys. It's a common concern with gear oils. I've never heard
of an issue with grease, but if the grease was made from oil with
non-compatible additives...

Hmm ... perhaps it forms a sulfuric acid under pressure and
load?

Greetings Ned,
I tried to find out what kind of oil is used in the white grease I
have and have had no luck. But I'm thinking you must be correct about
the sulfur, even though the grease is not described as having any EP
additives.

Can you try some PH paper on the remains to see whether it is
somewhat acidic?

Based on your post I am going to make sure that any greases
I use in the future on bronze mechanisms do not contain sulfur or any
other additives that can harm bronze. The grease in contact not only
became a substance similar to thick glue parts of it turned into
almost a solid. And conventional solvents used to dissolve greases had
no effect I could see on the morphed grease when I cleaned it all out.
Eric

Hmm .... what about Molybdnium DiSulfide grease? I suspect that
it would work well with copper-bearing metals such as the worm gear.
(Unless someone else knows differently.) At least check with the makers
to see whether they know of any such problems.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Anything with sulphur or chlorine will attack bronze..

I think I'd be looking at something like SKIL 80111 heavy duty worm
gear saw lubricant - made expressly for bronze gears and extreme high
pressure. 8 ounces is about $12. I bough a tube for my old 825. It is
technically an oil, not a grease.
Personally I have very little use for the typical white lithium
grease,(like LubriPlate)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Damn, not cool. They actually sell bronze sink fixtures, too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-02-16,

wrote:

[...]

I've already reassembled the dividing head with some other grease that
doesn't have any EP additives, I needed it to finish a job. But I am
going to look into bronze worm gear specific greases because I have
two other devices with some bronze gearing. That Skil 8011 stuff, does
it stick like gease? Is it as thick as grease? The dividing head
doesn't have a sealed reservoir, the grease just sticks to the works
and doesn't drip off.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-02-16,

wrote:

[...]

No, it's closer in consistency to EP140 Hypoid oil
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-02-16,

wrote:

[...]

Ye gods, I'd rather smell rotting fish than hypoid gear lube.
Hate that stench.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

OT If there really is a Hell ARW UK diy 20 March 2nd 14 12:01 PM
How the hell Larry Jaques Metalworking 9 December 24th 08 12:14 PM
How the hell Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 December 18th 08 12:04 AM
2x4 from hell! John DeBoo Woodworking 6 June 8th 05 10:56 PM
Lithium grase + silicone grease vs. axle grease RickyC UK diy 8 February 17th 05 07:59 PM