Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Timesaver lapping abrasive

Great stuff, Timesaver lapping abrasive. "Guaranteed not to continue
to cut". This week I had two instances to use it. The first was when I
tried to thread new nuts onto the shaft of an old (probably 1940s
vintage) Baldor grinder. The new nuts would not fit. I measured the
pitch diameter of the 1/2-13 threads and they were oversize. The nuts
that came with the ancient grinder were larger than normal 1/2-13
across the flats. .937 while normal 1/2-13 nuts are .750 across the
flats. The nut threads were also quite oversized because the fit was
quite loose on the grinder shaft. So I mixed some of the Timesaver
stuff with a little oil and lapped the new nuts to the threads. Only
took about 15 minutes to get a nice fit. Then today working on a DoAll
vertical bandsaw that had been converted from a band filer I ran into
a problem. The bar that holds the blade guides and slides up and down
would not slide easily. The guide for it, when bolted tight to the
saw, would warp slightly. So I used the same stuff I mixed earlier and
lapped the pieces together. Now the bar slides easily and smoothly
without being sloppy. I love the Timesaver Lapping abrasives. They
don't imbed, break down fast into a finer abrasive, and eventually
stop cutting. Good stuff Maynard.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive

I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:47:14 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive

I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

Paul

Greetings Paul,
It's made by Micro Surface Corp. in San Jose, CA. I bought the 8ea. 3
oz. can kit from Newman Tools. Here's a link:
http://www.shopnewmantools.com/colle...ucts/test-kits
The test kit is $208.00, which seems high but I bought my kit over a
decade ago, have used it many times and still have most of the stuff
left. It doesn't take much to lap stuff in and it has saved me tons of
money over the years because it gets used in my business.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn wrote:

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive

I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

It looks like McMaster carries it too:

1 lb. 5lb.

Available Grits Each Each
For Soft Metals
80, 120, 220, 320 4781A4 $26.79 4781A5 $118.10
For Hard Metals
40, 80, 220, 320 4781A6 $26.79 4781A7 $118.10

https://www.mcmaster.com/#polishing-compounds/=16b6pqk

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 10:47:22 PM UTC-5, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive

I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

Paul

$9.00 for a 3-oz. jar from Micro Surface. Here's the Yellow grade. The others should be selectable from the choices on the webpage.

https://www.ws2coating.com/yellow-la...-and-aluminum/

IIRC, it's mostly silica or glass, at least for the hard (green) version made for ferrous metals. If you remember engine valve lapping compounds from 50 or more years ago, they were ground glass for the same reason. It resists embedding in cast iron valve seats.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn wrote:

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive

I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

It looks like McMaster carries it too:

1 lb. 5lb.

Available Grits Each Each
For Soft Metals
80, 120, 220, 320 4781A4 $26.79 4781A5 $118.10
For Hard Metals
40, 80, 220, 320 4781A6 $26.79 4781A7 $118.10

https://www.mcmaster.com/#polishing-compounds/=16b6pqk

Or try http://tinyurl.com/j6aurtu $3.66/10g, because who needs a
full pound of lapping powder?

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...

Paul Drahn wrote:

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive
I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

It looks like McMaster carries it too:

1 lb. 5lb.

Available Grits Each Each
For Soft Metals
80, 120, 220, 320 4781A4 $26.79 4781A5 $118.10
For Hard Metals
40, 80, 220, 320 4781A6 $26.79 4781A7 $118.10

https://www.mcmaster.com/#polishing-compounds/=16b6pqk

Or try http://tinyurl.com/j6aurtu $3.66/10g, because who
needs a
full pound of lapping powder?

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon

I've often wondered how this lapping powder would
work on say, a '66 GM 225 V-6 crankshaft. Use it
to fine tune the clearances all at once. Solvent clean
ofterward. Anyone try this? ;) phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
news

"Larry Jaques" wrote
in message

Paul Drahn wrote:

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't the abrasive just get embedded in the insert?
That's not good... sorry i posted the question. phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Drahn wrote:

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
[...]

Greetings Phil,
The yellow label stuff is for lapping soft metals in just the kind of
application you describe. I have lapped in many babbit bearings using
Timsaver lapping compound. Mix the stuff with oil according to the
instructions and apply through oil hole if the bearing has one or
apply to bearing shells and assemble the bearing. The abrasive will
not embed into the soft metal but will instead lap it. Conventional
lapping compound, like the Clover stuff, will embed in the softer
metal and lap the harder metal. Timesaver works opposite in that it
will not embed and will lap the softer metal.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for the input, eih? ;)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive

I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

Paul

$9.00 for a 3-oz. jar from Micro Surface. Here's the Yellow grade. The others should be selectable from the choices on the webpage.

https://www.ws2coating.com/yellow-la...-and-aluminum/

IIRC, it's mostly silica or glass, at least for the hard (green) version made for ferrous metals. If you remember engine valve lapping compounds from 50 or more years ago, they were ground glass for the same reason. It resists embedding in cast iron valve seats.

Greetings Ed,
When I bought my 8 can sample kit years ago I bought it directly from
Micro Surface but had forgotten their name. When I looked for it
online the other day Newman Tool was the first link. I had no idea
they would mark up the same kit more than 200% over what Micro Surface
charges. I'm glad you looked more and found that much cheaper price.
The fact that it doesn't embed and laps the softer metal is quite
useful in certain situations and I'm sure there are folks reading this
group that could use it, especially at the much cheaper price you
linked to.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you brought it up, Eric. I've heard of it and I was curious, but I never checked it out before.

I remember reading an article about building benchrest rifles, and the author recommended it for lapping-in the lugs on a bolt action. That was the hard version, made for lapping steel.

From one of the MSDSes online, I see that the steel version also contains garnet. That's another silicate, usually aluminum silicate, which is a good abrasive but it has two properties that sound right in line with the idea of not embedding: it fractures easily, and it doesn't cleave into strong crystal shapes. It just keeps breaking up.

So maybe I'll find a use for it. I used to do a lot of lapping, when I spent a lot more time in the shop. I avoid using a toolpost grinder when I can, because I don't want that grit on my lathe bed.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:53:02 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...

Paul Drahn wrote:

On 2/10/2017 6:49 PM, wrote:
Timesaver lapping abrasive
I see it for $50 per pound on Ebay. Where do you get it?

It looks like McMaster carries it too:

1 lb. 5lb.

Available Grits Each Each
For Soft Metals
80, 120, 220, 320 4781A4 $26.79 4781A5 $118.10
For Hard Metals
40, 80, 220, 320 4781A6 $26.79 4781A7 $118.10

https://www.mcmaster.com/#polishing-compounds/=16b6pqk

Or try http://tinyurl.com/j6aurtu $3.66/10g, because who
needs a
full pound of lapping powder?

I've often wondered how this lapping powder would
work on say, a '66 GM 225 V-6 crankshaft. Use it
to fine tune the clearances all at once. Solvent clean
ofterward. Anyone try this? ;) phil k.

We have 48 days before you pull that one, Phil.
But, by all means, try that one on your own engine.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon

lapping fluid Electric Comet Woodworking 6 August 13th 15 04:59 PM
Rat lapping Christopher Tidy Metalworking 20 November 10th 10 04:16 AM
Lapping Michael Koblic Metalworking 20 May 20th 09 06:58 AM
Has anyone seen this "affordable" Timesaver in Action? JGS Woodworking 7 October 28th 05 05:55 PM
mini timesaver sander? mike Metalworking 7 January 3rd 04 05:47 AM